Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access router admin on ZyXEL or Medion

• 12-05-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I did a search here but didn't find anything yet.
    I have an IOLBB account and have the standard Prestige 630 modem that came with it at the start.

I've no problem connecting but I've never been able to connect to it's admin page. http://192.168.1.1/ has always timed out.

I have never given it any thought but today I bought the Wireless LAN Router Modem in Aldi.

I've set that up and have a signal but to set it up it says to go to:

which also times out.

Can anyone help me out please. I'm completely new to networking etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 l(00)py

can you give the exact model of each router.

and how youconnect to the router. ie. usb or network lead (the connection(rj45) looks like a big phone jack(rj11))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

The IOLBB modem is this one.

I connect it through the phoneline RJ11 and then from the modem into a USB port.

The medion one dosen't have a model number that I can see and I cant find it on the website.

Connected from wall socket > RJ11. Then it came with a USB WLAN adaptor which goes into a USB port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

How about pinging those IP addresses to see if they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Hi Just make sure that your network card is set to optain an ip automatically.

2. go to command promt and type ipconfig with the medion router its usually 192.168.0.2.

3. ping 192.168.0.1 if you get a reply you are ok

4. if it times out again download latest version of internet explorer or firefox.

I bought one of these but using it as a dsl router did not work. as soon as i plugged in the dsl cable the dsl light just keeps flashing so i had to use my eircom netopia and just use the medion as a wireless hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barrymccaul

I was having the same problem with my Median router...

For some reason i could ping 192.168.0.100, but couldn't go to the page to configure it...

Strangely, once I plugged in the DSL cable, it let my in to the configure page...

Sadly, it still can't actually connect to the web... The DSL light keeps blinking as if it's trying to sync, but the status page says there isn't even a connection to sync with...

With Aldi selling a load of them today... I'm hoping somebody will have this sorted soon enough, and will be kind enough to share the knowledge!

• Advertisement

I cinnected the medion with the ethernet cable and it connected then at 192.168.0.100. I filled in all the settings. I connected the asdl cable then still with the ethernet still connected but if wouldn't find it.

As you said it just kept blinking saying there was no connection. I've given up. I spent most the day at it and came up with nothing.

Hopefully someone will come to the rescue

Jayo,

Does that mean you can surf wirelessly? Because thats all i really want to do...
    My netopia connects fine, but i'm not sure how to get both of them working together... How did you set up yours?

Yes barry i have it working wireless all over the house. I have a server in the garage and have the netopia conneced to that which is shared. The medion is then plugged into my hub. So i have a wireless network for my laptop. For all those people that are having problems and dont have a server like i do you can config your netopia in bridge mode.
    http://www.netopia.com/support/technotes/hardware/r_series/backup/CQG_020.html

Once this is done the netopia is only used for the connection everthing else will have to be setup using the medion (username and passwords,security etc). Connect the netopia to the medion with a network cable.

I have not done this with the medion but have done it with other router's it should work. Hope this helps!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 megavolt

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my medion. I've tried different cables and everything but the DSL light just keeps flashing.

I brought it back and got a new one, but still have the same problem.

Wonder if I upgrade the flash will that fix it!

Expensive if it is just a wireless bridge!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

port 23 is blocked... unblock it in windows firewall

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote:
    port 23 is blocked... unblock it in windows firewall

Unblocked it but it didnt help.

unblocked it in exceptions and your local area connection?

mp3guy wrote:
    unblocked it in exceptions and your local area connection?

I'm only using the Windows Firewall at the moment. I could be wrong but once you open a port on that isn't it open on everything?

Not too experienced in all of this.

Its nothing to do with the firewall.The dsl light should not be flashing. The light should stay on even when not attached to a pc.

Oh, if the DSL light is flashing, you've got no DSL signal, either way, unplug all phones in the house, or get a line test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

cosgrove80 wrote:
    I did a search here but didn't find anything yet.
    I have an IOLBB account and have the standard Prestige 630 modem that came with it at the start.

I've no problem connecting but I've never been able to connect to it's admin page. http://192.168.1.1/ has always timed out.

I have never given it any thought but today I bought the Wireless LAN Router Modem in Aldi.

I've set that up and have a signal but to set it up it says to go to:

which also times out.

Can anyone help me out please. I'm completely new to networking etc.

Thanks in advance

I had similar problems in regards to accessing 192.168.1.1.
    So I just reloaded the firmware from ZyXEL for my 623 and all was fine again.

Regaining access to the config section should make the rest of your problems a whole lot easier.

julius wrote:
    I had similar problems in regards to accessing 192.168.1.1.
    So I just reloaded the firmware from ZyXEL for my 623 and all was fine again.

Regaining access to the config section should make the rest of your problems a whole lot easier.

I actually got access to 192.168.0.100 (given in the manual) when I connected it with the ethernet cable.

Regardless of what settings I gave it, it never showed a DSL connection.

Surely when I have it connected to the phone line through the spliter, it should recognise theres a connection regardless of my settings?

A friend of mine who would have a better idea than me what to do is around next week. I'll let him loose at it and see what happens

you are right the settings on your pc have nothing to do with it. The light should stay lighting as soon as you plug it in. I'd say its got to do with a different type of dsl filter or something?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

hehe you lot

The P630 is a usb MODEM
    It is not a router. It has NO admin page :)

Medion actually have a free phone number for Ireland and the UK... open long hours (i was on at 8 on a friday night, and weekends)... (don't have the number handy, but it came on a seperate slip of paper in the box of the router)

I was on to tech support and they just walked me through most of what i'd already tried.. seting 8/35 etc.. PPP settings etc...

The guy on the other end was stumped. He said he'd already had on guy from Ireland that day, who was with Eircom, and he's connected after changing the settings... i'm with EsatBT... but as they are simply renting the lines for Eircom, the settings shouldn't be any different.

Maybe the medion just needs a stronger signal then the Netopia modems that Eircom give...

In the end, i'm just using my medion for it's wireless, and getting the netopia modem to make the DSL connection... which isn't ideal... but i couldn't be bothered bringing it back to Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Martin100

I too have bought this Wireless router. It connects not as USB but through the ethernet connection. I too cannot get the ADSL connection to work. When I connect to Tiscali broadband through there USB supplied broadband modem that works fine. Also I know that the Ethernet connection works as I have been able to dial up the 56 k modem and that works ok through the ethernet.

I too have gone through Medions 192.168.0.100 connection to get the router setup connections installed. When I attempt to enter the Tiscasli Broadband information the ADSL flashes but after submitting these parameters the status still shows no connection. Thinking that I had a faulty Router I sent it back to Aldi and they exchanged it for a new one. However there was no improvement, just showed the same problems.

So after trying many options I was forced to phone Medion through I think the Ireland number. The other number can be expensive (I was on the phone for 50 mins) its an 0870 number which is possible 10p a minute. So with my policy for say NO to 0870 I used the Ireland number and got transfered through to the hotline. Also I use 18866 so the whole phone call cost 2p!

Well apart from the saving Medion tried various settings and were totally baffled by the problem. They said that they would enter the problem as a special case and try to get back to me in a day or so. I dont want to give up this router. The price and the scope of functions appeal to me and I think that it is getting to be a bit of a a challenge to me now to get this problem sorted. If others no of a way of solving this problem then their rewards will surely be given in heaven. There appears to be some problem with this router as it has shown to give problems on others ISP's. I am begining to think that there is a generic problem with this particular Router

So I will wait now and see what Medion have to say and hopefully report back. By the way the number I phoned was 01793 815699

Regards to all Martin

Martin100 wrote:

So I will wait now and see what Medion have to say and hopefully report back. By the way the number I phoned was 01793 815699

Regards to all Martin

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they will have a solution soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

:rolleyes: Hi, I have the same problem with this Medion Router. I rang Medion Tech Support (Freefone 1800-992508). They think the problem`s in the settings. They say they have had a number of Irish customers ringing in with the same complaint. They promised to ring me when they find a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

redzer wrote:
    :rolleyes: Hi, I have the same problem with this Medion Router. I rang Medion Tech Support (Freefone 1800-992508). They think the problem`s in the settings. They say they have had a number of Irish customers ringing in with the same complaint. They promised to ring me when they find a solution.

It doesn't work in Ireland. Full stop. I was told to "hang fire" until they come up with a fix. Hang that, I went to Peats and bought one and I'll just get my money back from Aldi.

Locutus wrote:
    It doesn't work in Ireland. Full stop. I was told to "hang fire" until they come up with a fix. Hang that, I went to Peats and bought one and I'll just get my money back from Aldi.

Does the one in Peats come with the USb adaptor? How much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Does the one in Peats come with the USb adaptor? How much was it?

They have a few - the one I bought didn't have a USB port, was a router only and cost €109.

Now I have it running but the range is limited (thick walls between router and desired working area). Anyone have any ideas how to improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

A mate of mine bought the median router and just wants to use it for dialup (he's living in a small village in Kerry and hence no broadband). Anyone know if they work ok using the dialup option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tadhgin trean

first post so here goes....I bought one of these medion routers last thursday
    I'm still on dialup, basically to get rid of the cables around the house. So far cannot get it to work for dialup, with eircom. I spent a number of hours with it, have had several buddies try it and spent an hour onto the freefone to medion on saturday. A fella called craig on the helpdesk spent a hour at least with me and still no joy... so they are at best very frustrating items to set up
    Craig had the bright idea at the end that my current setting might be causing a problem with it and managed to persuade me to delete certain settings with left me without any internet access for a period so just beware of this ....
    will prob just return it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

thanks for the reply - sorry to hear it's not working for you. My mate isn't very tec savvy and probably won't get around to trying it out for a few weeks. Any idea how long he'd have to return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

Locutus wrote:

Spoke with Medion Tech Support this morning. "Problem with the handshaking. Waiting for firmware upgrade. Will take at least a week."

Advertisement