Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access router admin on ZyXEL or Medion

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Martin100

I dont know how Medion could have sent this out with so many connection problems! Bye the way is it Wireless B or, Wireless G? I believe that G is a better system.

Regards,
    Martin

I have previosly telephoned you on two occasions for information in getting my router to work through the adsl connection. We tried all of the obvious settings and also advanced. It appeared that your department in the end were stumped for an answer. They said that they would go away and think about it. My broadband provider is Tiscali and this works fine on their modem. Ethernet works as well, so does the 56 K dialup. Since talking to you I have searched various bulletin boards and realise that my three days of time trying to set up this router are in vain. The one click setup therefore appears to be a mockery to the time that I have spent and cost of phone calls to you (well it could have cost a lot). I do believe in Medion as I have a Titanium PC and other products. However this particular Wireless Router I believe has some inherent problems that are beyond the setup of a normal user. Infact I am quite an expert on computers and I feel sorry for the more knieve computer people who may well think that the problem lies with them! Please therefore could you advise me if this product will ever work for me or do I just have to return it back to the shop and ask for a refund. Thanking you for any help on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

I too am waiting for the firmware fix etc etc having tried all the above, talking to tech support for an hour and so on.
    However, mine DOES work, after a fashion :eek: . It takes it about 45 mins from power on to find the dsl signal. I know this makes no sense - surely it either finds the line has dsl immediately or not.
    So, if you are having probs and you're sure the other settings in admin are correct, try leaving the thing plugged in for an hour. I'm intrigued to see if this will work for other people.

Greg*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Martin100 wrote:
    My broadband provider is Tiscali and this works fine on their modem. Ethernet works as well, so does the 56 K dialup..

Are you in the Uk Martin100?
    Did you get it to wirelessly route dial-up ok?

digitaldr wrote:
    Are you in the Uk Martin100?
    Did you get it to wirelessly route dial-up ok?

Hi Digitaldr. Yes I got it to work fine on the 56K modem dialup. Yes I live in the UK. and also would it be possible for you to give to me the adsl modem settings just in case they are different to what I have been given? I tried the one click (easy setup Ha Ha) procedure as well as advanced and in addition with the technician from Medion and as I have said, none of those settings work for me.

I was just looking above to see what Nephster was saying about the adsl locking in after about 40 mins. To me this seems strange as I was thinking that if there was a fundamental fault with the firmware, either it works or not. Do you think that there is a broadband quality signal issue here. Like all electronics if the signal to noise is poor, could it be that for this particular modem the sensitivity of receiving the broadband signal is not as good as some other makes? Incidentally, I have just tried running the router for two hrs but the signal did not lock in at all for me.
    Regards,
    Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Believe me I was very surprised when it worked. The first time I'd just sorted out all the wireless part and without further ado I was online. I switched off the device and then when I switched back on I had "no signal", which is when I rang tech support for an hour or so, unplugged it, replugged it etc etc. It was only after I'd left the house for an hour and got back that I noticed the dsl light was steady, not flashing. :cool:

Well the Medion Firmware has finally arrived on the driver download site. I have to say that after all of this time waiting I was quite eager and excited to download the firmware and install the latest version. Well it was C.R.A.P. Computer Router A Problem!

Did not make any difference for me and I was totally dissapointed. I think that I have waited to long and will now be looking for a replacement. They did say at Medion that there will be some more firmware that they will follow on, but when I commited them to a date it was maybe this week or a month , so they really didnt know of a firm release date.

However maybe this recent download may help others so I will be interested in those who do get it to work (or do not)

Regards,
    Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Martin100 wrote:

However maybe this recent download may help others so I will be interested in those who do get it to work (or do not)

No, didn't work for me either. I updated it and left it on for over an hour like the other post said but still no joy.

At least they are actively doing something. Got a nice light show when it was updating too :)

cosgrove80 wrote:
    No, didn't work for me either. I updated it and left it on for over an hour like the other post said but still no joy.

At least they are actively doing something. Got a nice light show when it was updating too :)

Its just the waiting all of the time. Even if Medion bring out another Fix, will that work. I took my tepephone cables apart today to check that the incoming cables were connected properly. Everything tested out as for the BT wiring plan, so its not that as a problem. Thought that I should at least eliminate that one.

I feel a headache coming on!:mad:
    Where are my pills?
    Martin

Martin100 wrote:
    Its just the waiting all of the time. Even if Medion bring out another Fix, will that work.

I've decided to give it a another week. If I don't have a solution by then I'm going to bring it back and get one elsewhere.

Dabs have a good selection (I'm looking for the usb stick ones) that actually work out cheaper. Even including postage.

• Advertisement

cosgrove80 wrote:
    I've decided to give it a another week. If I don't have a solution by then I'm going to bring it back and get one elsewhere.

Dabs have a good selection (I'm looking for the usb stick ones) that actually work out cheaper. Even including postage.
    Hi Cosgrove, did you have in mind which router system you might buy from Dabs. I also like the idea of the USB wireless adapter.

Regards,
    Martin

Martin100 wrote:
    Hi Cosgrove, did you have in mind which router system you might buy from Dabs. I also like the idea of the USB wireless adapter.

Regards,
    Martin

Would probably get the 3com one but they have none in stock.

The Belkin is the other option. It works out at €115 so I was wrong about it being cheaper than the Medion.

I don't know much about network gear but I think Belkin are decent.

Id assume it'd work here? There are much better people on boards than me to ask about this stuff :)

At the moment I think I'll just hang on to the Medion, out of laziness more than anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 p@man

I spoke to Medion's tech support today who told me that they are still working on firmware for the problems; the last posted v1.0.1 update was only for IP forwarding.
    The next release (they claim) will fix the following problems:
    • DSL line 'training' (hopefully for both GB & ROI exchanges)
    • Error on pressing [Apply] in Ethernet 'Expert Mode'
    • VPN pass-through
    If these are fixed, the unit is not too bad a deal with the USB adaptor thrown in (and that dial-up modem).

However, here are some tips for anyone considering alternatives:
    • Dabs have announced £5 ex-VAT delivery to anywhere in ROI, although they won't guarantee next-day. This is a major catch with most other MO outfits, who surcharge for so-called 'offshore' delivery because, as we all know, there are no distribution depots outside the GB mainland ;)
    • Whatever you're buying, if Dabs sell it you should look at their product details page as they show customer reviews on the same page
    • As it happens, I don't actually work for Dabs and, to prove it, try looking at www.savastore.com and www.misco.co.uk for a wider range and some pretty keen prices, many lower than Dabs (but with that nasty NI/ROI delivery surcharge)

I was just wondering as Medion appear to admit that there is a Firmware problem, how many people have an ADSL problem? My guess is that hundreds of units have been sold in the UK and ROI. Do we know of any users of this Router who have had success with this Router and if so what IPS and setup conditions were used for their success?

Regards,
    Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

MP3 guy: (looking at your signature picture)

Best way to splice phonelines with no real proper equipment.

Get an electrical connector with a screw down terminal (the little white things that you can break apart like what you'd find behind a light fitting)

get your phoneline pair (you only need 2 wires, ignore any other connections.. should be red and green or blue/white pair on eircom lines/Cat5)

Pare a good bit of the plastic coating back exposing the copper.

Twist the cables you want to join together pretty tightly, making sure you get the maximum surface area touching.

Then use one side of the electrical connector as a clamp to hold them together. Just screw it tight.

do the same with the other set of cables, obviously using a different electrical connector as a clamp.

You twist the cables together and use the electrical connector as a clamp as you will get far better signal quality on copper-to-copper rather than going through an electrical connector that's designed to carry 220V 50Hz AC.

Also, if you're working on phoneline it's a good idea to put the call divertion on! If your phone rings you get a nice 75V AC shock if you happen to be touching both cables simultaniously :)

Also, I wouldn't suggest using sellotape like that. Phone circuits carry quite a bit of power and have high ring voltages (up to 75V-90V) so you can get some nasty sparking that can cause a fire.

At the very least use decent electrical tape.

Firmware update 1.02 is available to download from the medion.co.uk site.

It might help with peoples problems

Medion Wireless Router MD 95038
    :):):)

Well success at last. After having downloaded the latest firmware I can now report that my ADSL signal (ISP Tiscali) is now working. Initially though for some reason the Firmware wouldnt load up, but read the PDF notes and follow these and it should be ok.

I am told by Medion that it is better to set up the ADSL in Expert mode.

Phew and I thought that it would never work!

Regards,
    Martin
    :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Martin100 wrote:
    Well success at last. After having downloaded the latest firmware I can now report that my ADSL signal (ISP Tiscali) is now working.

Congrats. Did you do anything different? Did the ASDL light come on straight away?

Didn't work for me. Have IOLBB / BT connection

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Congrats. Did you do anything different? Did the ASDL light come on straight away?

Didn't work for me. Have IOLBB / BT connection

Hi Cosgrove,

The light came on after about 5 mins. I still think that for some setups you might have to wait for up tp 45 mins for sync connection. There is yet some further Firmware coming out soon to address some minor problems. Hopefully if yours doesnt work now it might with this later update.

Have you been in touch with Medion regarding your sprecific setup? I think that overall I must have spent about 3 and half hours with them over about 7 phone calls. They have even phoned me back asking me to try certain setups and also informing me as for yesterday that the second revision of the Firmware was coming out that day and asked that I could try it out and report back.

I have to say that they have also been proactive to some extent with me (the customer) so I congratulate them for that.

Heres wishing for good future connections to all.

Regards,
    Martin

Martin100 wrote:
    Have you been in touch with Medion regarding your specific setup?

Rang them today. Guy on the phone sid there were certain settings to put in and that it was a fixable problem. He didn't have them to hand so he's ringing on monday.

Is there anyone out there that got this and have it working on an IOLBB / Esat BT connection?

If there is could you post you settings? Thanks

• Advertisement

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Rang them today. Guy on the phone sid there were certain settings to put in and that it was a fixable problem. He didn't have them to hand so he's ringing on monday.

Is there anyone out there that got this and have it working on an IOLBB / Esat BT connection?

If there is could you post you settings? Thanks

A bit more promising, might be worth waiting till mon? Stick with it and dont let Medion give up.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 p@man

Martin100 wrote:
    A bit more promising, might be worth waiting till mon? Stick with it and dont let Medion give up.

Martin

I tried the 1.0.2 update but no luck. I've tried every 'Expert' setting imaginable and even left it on overnight - the DSL link wasn't even established, let alone connected to my provider (UK: OneTel via BT). My 30-days return to Aldi was up, so I chickened out. :o
    Good luck to youse others, though ...

Well All,

contrary to my previous comments, this morning my Router stopped locking into the ADSL signal :mad: . I wasnt sure though that this might be because Tiscal were having problems with their broadband connection. Anyway I thought that I would check the ADSL connection settings and to my surprise I had inadvertantly set the Modulation to T1.413! For UK Tiscali it supposed to be G.DMT. So I put it back to G.DMT and all day it wouldnt lock on. So I changed it back to T1.413 and it locked in within 5 mins.

So I can confirm that the Tiscali settings (for me) are wrong. For those interested this is how I set up the connections:

Go to ADSL and click into Expert Mode. Set Modulation to T1.413 (or even ADI seems to work). Click apply and then go to Administration and press restart. Wait for about a min for the router to go through its warmup and then click into Status. I waited for up to 5 mins and then the ADSL light stopped flashing and remained on. Coinciding with this the Status showed a green light with internet connected.

So now everything workes again. I will get in touch with Medion tomorrow and report my findings. There is still something not right as the Tiscali Modulatiuon setting should be G.DMT. But at the moment it works. Hopefully later revisions of the Firmware will resolve these problems.

I would advise that ohers might like to try going through the Modulation settings in the same way as I did. Here are my Finding for Tiscali UK:

Auto ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    G.DMT ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    G SPAN ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    T1. 413 ADSL signal locks (continuous light)........Works
    G SPAN+ ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    G. LITE ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    ADI ADSL signal locks (continuous light) Works
    ALCATEL 1.4 ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)
    ALCATEL ADSL signal does not lock (flashing light)

Maybe I could contact Tiscali to also ask then about this confusion in Modulation setup. Its an 0870 number though so Ill see what I can do.

Best of luck all,
    Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mister_D

I bought one of the Medion routers yesterday, took firs tone back as it was clearly second user!! Got the second one home couldn;t connect to it at first thru ethernet. Finally got that sorted and ADSL wouldn't work (no signal) updated firmware etc etc pulled hair out, swore at the dog and finally wept a little :)
    Anyone in UK got this to work on Nildram I would be grateful for your settings to try. MAil me please any advice or help, many thanks in advance..
    maninthepub@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Mister_D wrote:
    I bought one of the Medion routers yesterday, took firs tone back as it was clearly second user!! Got the second one home couldn;t connect to it at first thru ethernet. Finally got that sorted and ADSL wouldn't work (no signal) updated firmware etc etc pulled hair out, swore at the dog and finally wept a little :)
    Anyone in UK got this to work on Nildram I would be grateful for your settings to try. MAil me please any advice or help, many thanks in advance..
    maninthepub@hotmail.com

i know of a firmware that i beta tested for medion.
    had to edit the firmware to work in ireland but it works.
    ill get it tomorrow and link y'all to it.
    works perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

anyone manage to get this working yet with BT broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Turboz

Hi all - just found this thread.

So, anyone get port forwarding working?

I got 56k working ok (Not tried ADSL yet as it's not enabled on the line) but port forwarding is dead. I have firmware 1.0.2 and it's junk.

I've called Medion and they say they're going to get back to me on Monday after they've tinkered with one of their units in the office and experimented (Honestly, you'd think a tech support dept would know their own products inside out wouldnt you?).

Medion certainly don't test out these wonderful features do they. I've even asked them to send me the source code for the firmware so I can fix it myself - Not surprisingly they refused my generous offer of assistance (Copyright excuse etc).

Anyone got port forwarding to work?

-T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

A mate of mine bought one of these ages ago - he's waiting for me to sort it out for him as he's not very technically minded. Anyway he levels in rural Kerry and only has dial up. How easy/difficult is it to get it working with dialup? He wants to connect to it wirelessly. I presume it dials up on demand? Once working is it reliable?

Thanks

Hi

Works ok on dialup though it IS NOT dial on demand.

Here's a hint:
    When you want to dial, enable the modem in the config pages (Note this means anyone who wants to use teh connection must know the username and password - Nice going medion!).

Once you have enabled it via the config pages it will either a) Dial or b) do absolutely nothing.

I have a fairly sure fire way of making it dial:
    Enable it on config pages, then open internet explorer. When you open the browser the medion detects outgoing activity and dials. Note that IE will in the meantime time out saying the page cannot be found but if you monitor the medion status page you will see when it has connected. Simply close the existing Internet Explorer (If it thinks there's no connection refresh doesn't always work) and open another. You now have internet.

In short:
    Open browser > http://192.168.0.100
    Login admin
    Enable modem
    Open another browser - Goto any address
    Goto browser with config page open
    Hit status on left hand menu
    Wait until Modem active goes green.

When you want to disconnect, you simply have to disable the modem in the config pages. IF you still have the original firmware (1.0.2 ain't much better) then the modem doesn't always like disconnecting and might redial (if it has disconnected). In this case your only option is to pull the plug from the phone socket.

Medion really had the idea for the hardware, unfortunately they didn't have a lot of foresight when writing the firmware. They also didn't bother testing them either.

Did anyone get port forwarding to actually work on ADSL or 56k????????

-T

• Advertisement

Bump

Advertisement