Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke

• 12-05-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

In fairness can we not bring back coke. I mean if people don't want to buy it fair enough they don't have to but why should I not be able to walk into a shop and buy a can of Coke in a free country. I mean WTF???

Comments

Well you can't have another referendum until next year, so if you want a referendum a good time would be a) class rep elections or b) sabbatical elections. To get a referendum going, you need 350 signatures of registered students, or a motion to be passed (they should start again in November-ish) by a 3/4 majority at an SU Council.

There was a heated discussion on these boards a few months ago, might be worth a look at it for the opinions of some of those here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ferrioxide

I thought there would've been all right but it seems to have been deleted/archived.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199213&page=3&highlight=coke

You've to change your settings in User CP to see all the posts that have ever been on a forum. You then get to see such wonderful things as "W00t, first post"

An interesting read. I'd still be pro-coke though.

I didn't post it up to influence you in any way, just to provide insight into what people on these boards think. Anyways, I'll stop replying and wander away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Myth wrote:
    Well you can't have another referendum until next year, so if you want a referendum a good time would be a) class rep elections or b) sabbatical elections. To get a referendum going, you need 350 signatures of registered students, or a motion to be passed SU Council (they should start again in November-ish) by a 3/4 majority at an SU Council.

Can we not get our SU council types to seek it in ? :p , anyway it'll only get defeated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Why was it banned in the first place?

Something about killing Colombians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

not expressing an opinion either way:

it might have come back at the last referendum, but it was lumped in with the ban on the sale of nestle products and i think there's a lot more ppl who would be aware of the nestle/babymilk thing and would have voted against that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Ah crap!

Can't believe this is still going on....... the students resoundingly voted to ban coke for good or for ill twice. Just drink pepsi, its pretty much the same stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Pepsi tastes completely different to coke.

Banning coke? What the hell is wrong with you people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Tony quit your complaining, you should have motivated other people to vote against the ban to counter people like me and Bufty who just voted to ban it to annoy you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Berger wrote:

There's nothing wrong with any of us whether we're for coke being sold or not. The referendum decided that Coke's policies in Columbia were a bad thing and as such Coke would not be sold from SU run shops as a statement. I was against the ban but I'm not losing sleep over it.

And Indy, this Berger chap is right, Pepsi is a completely different kettle of fish to Coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Berger wrote:

It's not banned. As in you are still "allowed" to drink it, the gestapo wont get you. You're over-emphasising this word. It really isn't as strong as that.
    Merely to make a statement the students union had a referendum whether to stock coca-cola in their shops. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ApeXaviour wrote:
    It's not banned. As in you are still "allowed" to drink it, the gestapo wont get you. You're over-emphasising this word. It really isn't as strong as that.
    Merely to make a statement the students union had a referendum whether to stock coca-cola in their shops. Nobody is making forcing you to do anything.

It's not banned? The gestapo won't get me for it? So I can stop pouring it into Pepsi bottles at home and smuggling it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ergo

and you can get it in the Hamilton restaurant which is right beside one of the shops from which it is banned, and the Buttery too

and Coke is completely different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Welcome to boards.ie RDM_83. Leave your soul at the door and fill out a who's who ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

I dunno, it just seems like something a primary school teacher would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Do whatnow? Ban something on moral grounds because of people being killed and wanting to make a stand against that? Heh, if only the primary school teachers are doing that these days then I think we're in more trouble that we thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Ferrioxide wrote:
    In fairness can we not bring back coke. I mean if people don't want to buy it fair enough they don't have to but why should I not be able to walk into a shop and buy a can of Coke in a free country. I mean WTF???

Heya
    The is always used as an arguement against the ban. The reason why you aren't given the individual choice if you can buy Coke or Nestle products in the SU shops is the issue of who owns the SU shops. The SU Shops are effectivily owned by every capitated student. Therefore we have to decide via council or referendum on various issues, be them economics, social, environmental, ethical etc etc. The Student body felt on two consequtive occasions by majority vote of the ENTIRE student body that it did not want to be responsible for the slae of products associated with unethical and criminal practices in the 3rd world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

gom wrote:
    The Student body felt on two consequtive occasions by majority vote of the ENTIRE student body that it did not want to be responsible for the slae of products associated with unethical and criminal practices in the 3rd world.
    Actually thats completely incorrect, due to the usual low turn out the majority of the entire student body didn't make that decision. Though they have no right to complain since they didn't vote, you still can't come along n say the agree with you.

And thread locked cause we've seen all this before n its boring

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement