Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hub question

• 12-05-2005 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

I have a network with 6 nodes right now. I use the 3Com OfficeConnect Switch (8 port). My uplink port is in use for the net connect. However, I am getting some new machines on the network. What can I do? This hub is only 2 weeks old, and I really dont want to sell it. can I buy another 8/16 port and link them somehow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I have a network with 6 nodes right now. I use the 3Com OfficeConnect Switch (8 port). My uplink port is in use for the net connect. However, I am getting some new machines on the network. What can I do? This hub is only 2 weeks old, and I really dont want to sell it. can I buy another 8/16 port and link them somehow?

yes, get another one and use cross-link cable to connect both using any existing port. i think it should work. i might be wrong thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Most hubs/switches these days dont even need a crossover cable or uplink connction.
    Just use an ordinary patch lead and it is usually fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

My uplink port is being used.
    So what your saying is that I could just use a xover cable to link them, but that any port on the hub will do? Can anyone confirm this, as I dont want to order another hub, just to find that I've wasted my time/money! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The uplink port (normally one of the ports with an 'uplink' button) is basically just a crossover built into the switch. You can run an ordinary PC off it or uplink from a normal port using a crossover. Most good switches are autosensing and will uplink without any button clicking.

My advice would be to buy a 16 port or 24 port switch and run everything off that. It doesnt make sense to uplink between two 8 port switches when it's that easy to avoid as you'll end up with one congested/contended link between the two halves of the network.

Advertisement