Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about points - how are they calculated

Options
  • 12-05-2005 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Is it based on 6 subjects?

Is it true that 3 of them have to be Maths Irish and English?

Comments

Both answers are yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Oh gawd. I thought I could lose Maths. That is really horrible.

Maths rules! :) Are you in 3rd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the answer to the second question is no.

Your points are calculated from your best 6 results in one sitting.

Your matriculation typically must include those three subjects unless you;ve an exemption from Irish but may be earned in more than one sitting

Yeah that's true but i assumed that he wouldn't have this exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

so if ur doin pass maths and the rest honours you dont have to count the maths???????? help!!!!!!!

Depends on how many subjects you're doing. If you're doing 7, then yes you are allowed to be bad at Maths. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't think Maths is required for the course i'm aiming for, Uberwolf. Thanks for the info!

Aristotle, i'm in 6th year! Maths is the bane of my schoollife.

edit: fyi i'm doing 7 subjects, so it seems (thank god) i will be able to drop the maths points in favour of something else.

You're in 6th year and you're only learning of this now?! :eek:

What course are you aiming for?

Well, yes. I was always under the impression that I would be omitting MATHS points from my overall score. My bro just said that he thought maths was compulsory as part of the points total, so i'm here asking about it now.

I want to do film and german at trinity.

• Advertisement

<Jonny> wrote:
    Well, yes. I was always under the impression that I would be omitting MATHS points from my overall score. My bro just said that he thought maths was compulsory as part of the points total, so i'm here asking about it now.

I want to do film and german at trinity.

You'll be needing to at least pass Maths for that I'm afraid. :(

reality bites

How many points do you think you will get? What did you get on the Mocks?
    (I hope that them questions aren't too personal :o )

I need around 475 for the course. In the mocks I got 410 (counting maths as one of my 6).

I might be able to get my stuff together. I was pretty dissapointed with my mocks results.

English was quite depressing. I thought I was writing an A1 paper, but only got 64%.

Yeah you need at least 475 . Film studies seems to be very popular this year so I say it might be a bit higher than that. Are you under the TAP programme?

No'm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The CAO site will confirm that your points are calculated from your six best subjects.

Ok, ok.

Might it be like this (really going out on a limb here):

I need to pass maths to GET INTO the course, but the POINTS can be decided by ANY six of my BEST?

Or does Maths being necessary for admission mean that it has to count as part of my points total.

I'm glad to say your 1st sentence was right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

<Jonny> wrote:
    Ok, ok.

Might it be like this (really going out on a limb here):

I need to pass maths to GET INTO the course, but the POINTS can be decided by ANY six of my BEST?

Or does Maths being necessary for admission mean that it has to count as part of my points total.

points = best 6 points scores as deduced from leaving cert results.

Matriculation = the minimum results in prescribed subjects that they believe necessary for you to have to achieve in the course.

You must get over both barriers. But your points are seperate.

if, for example, in your case you got 6 honours A1s, and passed maths, you'd have 600 points and have achieved matrilculation by passing maths (as well as the other results in other subjects)

• Advertisement

Phew -_-

I'm going to take a lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yes, you need to pass maths to be eligible for the course, but your best 6 results will go towards your points. If maths isn't one of the best then it won't be counted; simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Your six best subjects will be calculated for points purposes. But, if you get at least a D in OL Maths and it is your worst subject, you are still OK, as it need only be used for matriculation purposes.

Let's say you get the following results (completely hypothetical!):
    English H A1
    Irish H A1
    German H B2
    Chemistry H B2
    Art H B2
    Geography H B2
    Maths O D3

That is 520 points, not including Maths. But you did pass Maths, so you get in.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for your time Redwell. You and the other guys were very helpful.

Advertisement