Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memory card upgrade for nokia 6230

Options
  • 12-05-2005 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

my brother got one of these phones and he wants me to get him an upgrade of the memory card.

what type do i need and what's the best brand and is there any size restrictions on them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

you need mcc.

Afaik the 6230 will take up to a 512 meg card fine. I haven't heard of anybody who tried a 1 gig card with it, though the new 6230i will apparantly take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

right anyone know the best place to purchase one? on the net of course as he doesn't want to be shafted in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

its actually a rs-mmc u need i got a 256 mB one from H E R E
    there the cheapest i found after a quick search that time altho i didnt exactly search too hard but the service was A1 ;)

forgot to mention he said he wanted a gig but i said i'd have to check it out as i knew some cards are incompatible.

Umm, its not. I have my 6230 sitting in front of me and it uses full sized mmc cards. NOT rs-mmc.

I bought from www.7dayshop.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

anyone have any personal experience with a 512meg card in thier 6230? according to the nokia website the max is 128??

I have personal experience with 256 and I've heard of people using up to 512 without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

As Akula said its the normal size MMC(multimedia card) cards you want cremo, NOT rs-mmc. I have the 1gb twinmos one from komplett in my 6230, and its working fine. You wont find it much cheaper anywhere either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Got this list from another forum a while ago:
    6230 MMC Compatibility List as of 14-June-04
    6230 COMPATIBLE MMC LIST

APACER 128, 256
    ATP 128, 256, 512
    EXPANSYS 128, 256
    EXTREMEMORY 128, 256
    HITACHI 128, 256, 512
    HTL 128, 256
    KINGMAX 128, 256
    KINGSTON 128
    MICROSIM 32, 64, 128, 256, 512
    MOBYMEMORY 128, 256, 512, 1GB
    NCP NEXON 128, 256
    NOKIA MMC CARDS 32, 64
    PNY 128
    PQI 64, 128
    PRETEC 128, 256, 512, 1GB
    RIDATA 64, 128, 256
    SANDISK 64, 128
    TAKEMS 64, 128, 256
    TRANSCEND 64, 128
    TWINMOSS 32, 64, 128

MMC CARDS TO AVOID
    KODAK 64, 128, 256- TOTALLY NOT COMPATIBLE
    KINGSTON 256, PQI 256 - best to avoid coz having varied results among users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Akula wrote:
    Umm, its not. I have my 6230 sitting in front of me and it uses full sized mmc cards. NOT rs-mmc.

I bought from www.7dayshop.com

well its a rs-mmc ive been using without any problems whatsoever and I have been told these are the better option for 6230i's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, an rs-mmc with an mmc adapter is really just like using an mmc... has anyone who's told you they are better given any reasons why?

one down side to using an rs-mmc with a device that can handle regular mmc cards (and support the highest capacities) is rs-mmc aren't currently available in the highest capacities that regular mmc are...

And if I'm not mistaken they are a lot more expensive and you are more likely to run into problems since none of them are even listed on the compatability list.

You gain nothing by using full size mmc since you have to use an adapter anyway so go for that option. Only reason to use rs-mmc would be if you were sharing the card with a device that needed rs-mmc and they are few and far between.

Also Nokia are moving to sd cards anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I got this (TwinMOS 1GB) from Komplett for €78 and it works with my 6230. Got a card reader and USB Bluetooth dongle from them too as the card reader is quicker than Bluetooth, but you still need the Bluetooth to create playlists. (Guide)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

cupthehand wrote:
    well its a rs-mmc ive been using without any problems whatsoever and I have been told these are the better option for 6230i's

You can use the rs-mmc's but as was pointed out above, their more expensive, not available in as big sizes, and dont offer any benefits tbh.

thanks guys, i'll show him the twinmos one, thanks once again for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As already said the 1GB Twinmos MMC that's available on Komplett.ie works fine with the Nokia 6230 :)

Advertisement