Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop Quiz For Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

(non sciene-related) question please?

does maths count, fine, even though they're the subjects I like

French, give me 3 points on the state of the environment/pollution (very general).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

No of course maths doesn't count! even though i'm reminded by my teacher constantly that its an 'exact science'. Don't do french but a bit of variation is better.

ok, English: give me a paragraph on your personal opinion of Boland/Yeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Rredwell wrote:
    Biology:
    Name the 5 phases in the bacterial growth curve.
    At what phase is the continuous flow method kept?

lag, log, stationary, decline, death/survival

stationary??? (never heard of "continous flow" but guessing by the graph...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

what is autocatalysis (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Autocatalysis is the catalysis of a reaction by one of the products of that reaction.

What are the six stages of water purification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

stationary??? (never heard of "continous flow" but guessing by the graph...)

Correct! (I remind myself of a V-Tech toy I had at the age of 7...)

There are 2 methods of bacterial food processing: continuous flow and batch flow processing. In BFP, the nutrienst are added to the bacteria, and they go throough all the stages of bacterial growth. When the product is formed, all the nutrients, bacteria and waste are removed (in batches) and the equiptment cleaned.
    In Continuous Flow, the bacteria are added to the nutrients, but they are kept at the stationary phase, and the product is removed continuously.

Maths:
    Formula of distance from a point to a line, anyone?

This?

(ax1+by1+c)/sq. root of (a^2 + b^2)

Yep, that's right -- when the line is in the form ax+by+c, and the point (x1, y1).

Ok.

Maths:

Prove any trigonometric rule that you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Give a quick account of photosynthesis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

blah, i need to draw diagrams for that

Not for most of them you don't. What about a Sin(A+B) rule or something like that?

we have a savage teacher, he didnt give us theorems outta the book, but basically gave us simple ones whereby you draw a triangle and work it out in about 4 lines

Eh......ok. But for the Sin(A+B) and Cos(A+B) rules and other similar ones, that would make it a lot more difficult because it would only take two or three lines max. Also, in the question it would give you one of the rules, eg the Cos (A+B) one, and ask you to prove another one, eg the Cos (A-B) one. This would be very difficult and time-consuming to do with a diagram when all it would take is a couple of lines.

Also, I don't understand how that would work in a diagram! :confused:

ok, well basically he drew like two triangles and labelled them a,b,c and wherever there was cos or sin, he filled in the letters, its hard to explain without my theorem copy but ill get it tomoro n describe it better

sorry if i muddled you
    i tend to do that a lot

I'd like to see this copy!

If you don't mind me saying, your maths teacher sounds like an idiot. :(

no hes actually savage
    hes a genius and absolutely hillarious
    and hes not a dodgy teacher either, every year theres lecturers from colleges coming down to take notes on his teaching style
    his theorems are perfect, my bruv had him and he used em and theyre grand
    theyre a lot easier
    trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

sin(A+B):

=cos [90-(A+B)]
    =cos [(90-A)-B]
    =cos(90-A)cosB+ Sin(90-A)sinB
    =sinAcosB + cosAsinB

QED

k, methinks that is correct so a question to any ecnomics buffs -
    What are the (5) factors that effects the PED (price elasticity of demand) of a good?

:)

What are the (5) factors that effects the PED (price elasticity of demand) of a good

erm substitutes, complementary goods, no. of altermative uses, proportion of income spent on the good, durability
    (god i hope thats right, my less stress more success book is at skool, im havin nightmares without it!)

ok....history
    what was the ems telegram?

• Advertisement

no hes actually savage
    hes a genius and absolutely hillarious
    and hes not a dodgy teacher either, every year theres lecturers from colleges coming down to take notes on his teaching style
    his theorems are perfect, my bruv had him and he used em and theyre grand
    theyre a lot easier
    trust me!

No, trust me!

For the rules I have stated, all you have to basically do is change the signs or replace A with 90-A. It's that simple. Only a couple of lines work.

Why is this "great" teacher of yours making you spend too much time on a question, and making a simple question look hard and long? As you can see from The Smiley One's answer (which is right btw. Well done.), it's barely a sentence. I'm just trying to help. :)

For the rules I have stated, all you have to basically do is change the signs or replace A with 90-A. It's that simple. Only a couple of lines work.

um no, for Cos(A+B) you definitely have to do the diagram it's longish. For Cos(A-B) you have to do the same

Yes, but usually, actually for evey year in my papers, when one of them comes up, you're given the other one, so there wouldn't be a need for a diagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Ok............biology:What is the fovea and (now for something completely different) How do you test for phosphate ions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Fovea is part of the retina that has cones only. It has the sharpest vision the image focuses in on the fovea when you stare at it.

Name all the parts of the apendicular skeleton?

Maths:

Tan (A+B)

=(sin (A+B))/(cos(A+B)) .... ( tan A = sin A/cos A )

=(sin A cos B + cos B sin A)/(cos A cos B – sin A sin B)

=(tan A + tan B)/(1 - tan A tan B) .... ( divide across by Cos A Cos B )

Maths:

Tan (A+B)

=(sin (A+B))/(cos(A+B)) .... ( tan A = sin A/cos A )

=(sin A cos B + cos B sin A)/(cos A cos B – sin A sin B)

=(tan A + tan B)/(1 - tan A tan B) .... ( divide across by Cos A Cos B )

Oh, and about the whole diagrams and traingles question, I never learnt a formal proof for the Cosine Rule, I just draw a unit circle and triangle when I need to and use common sense.

Appendicular skeleton: arms-humerus ulna radius carpels metacarpels phalanges
    Legs- tibia fibula(?) femur tarsals metatarsals phalanges
    Pelvic Girdle
    Shoulder blade

What is the orgasm (This could actually come up (no pun intended :eek: ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Jane Doe

Thats not on the bio course and if you're trying to be funny you're failing miserably.

• Advertisement

Oooooohhhh no need to be so narky Jane Doe. Well either its on the course or Michael O Callaghan decided to put it in his text book for the fun of it (pg 404 theres a whole paragraph with a HEADING and everything). Now I may be wrong as Im not in the habit of reading up exam syllabii and if I am i most humbly apologise. I also apologise if I have lowered the tone of this fine thread and swear that all pop-quiz questions from now on will be pure as the driven snow.

Q:What are the exceptions to the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

......sigh...... its just not the same......

P.s No I wasnt trying to be funny as ,yes, it could come up,and I really hadnt intended to use that pun......Ill make sure to write {joke} or {not joke} after every post from now on ok, I realise these kind of things can get a bit confusing.

Advertisement