Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop Quiz For Leaving Cert

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

Blah
    *floats invisibly around*
    (everyone ignored my ems telegram question)
    sluuuuuuuuur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

What are the (5) factors that effects the PED (price elasticity of demand) of a good

erm substitutes, complementary goods, no. of altermative uses, proportion of income spent on the good, durability
    (god i hope thats right, my less stress more success book is at skool, im havin nightmares without it!)

ok....history
    what was the ems telegram?

k, some of those are not mentioned in the textbook but if you explained them and could justify the reasoning, then who knows? (also thay could just be in less stress and not in the my book)

The ones in the textbook are: (p81)
    1. Close Subtitutes available
    2. Expensive Goods
    3. Durable Goods
    4. Subject to consumer habits/brand loyalty
    5. The cheaper of 2 in joint demand

:)

deek wrote:
    Oooooohhhh no need to be so narky Jane Doe. Well either its on the course or Michael O Callaghan decided to put it in his text book for the fun of it (pg 404 theres a whole paragraph with a HEADING and everything). Now I may be wrong as Im not in the habit of reading up exam syllabii and if I am i most humbly apologise. I also apologise if I have lowered the tone of this fine thread and swear that all pop-quiz questions from now on will be pure as the driven snow.

Q:What are the exceptions to the Kinetic Theory of Gases?

......sigh...... its just not the same......

P.s No I wasnt trying to be funny as ,yes, it could come up,and I really hadnt intended to use that pun......Ill make sure to write {joke} or {not joke} after every post from now on ok, I realise these kind of things can get a bit confusing.

1.Some atoms my have dipole-dipole forces between them
    2. Some atoms may have van der Waals forces between them
    3....em, I know there's another one *thinks* - not all collisions are perfectly elastic???

ps. what is the definition of an orgasm? Its not in any of my textbooks or notes..... (no seriously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Hmmmmm.....really? Weird maybe O Callaghans just a bit of a perv then and really did just put it in our book for the craic :o However for the sake of those poor deprived students without " Leaving Cert Biology" book this is the definition:
    "ORGASM.
    The orgasm is the physical and mental sensations resulting from copulation which may lead to sexual excitement.This may last from a few seconds in males to a few minutes in females. during orgasm,muscles in the pelvis of both partners contract,and heart rates,respiration and blood pressures rise dramatically. In the female,the outer vagin and uterus contract.
    In the male, the sphinxter muscle from the bladder closes and contraction of the involuntary muscles in the epididymis,sperm ducts,glands and urethra discharge semen out of the penis. The propelling of semen from the penis is called ejaculation."

Now,everything you never wanted to know about the orgasm :D .I doubt itd come up on the papers though I cant see the examinations people puttin it on but you never know!

the exceptions are that
    1 Attractive forces such as Van Der Waals and dipole dipole exist betwwen the molecules of a gas
    2 Under conditions of high pressure the volume of the molecules of a gas is not negligable when compared to the space between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

deek wrote:
    1 Attractive forces such as Van Der Waals and dipole dipole exist betwwen the molecules of a gas
    2 Under conditions of high pressure the volume of the molecules of a gas is not negligable when compared to the space between them.

make things easier to remember and just say
    1: Gas Molecules DO have Intermolecular FOA's
    2: The Space Gas Molecules take up IS significant (Under H. Pres L. Temp)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

(everyone ignored my ems telegram question)
    sluuuuuuuuur

Um..the Ems telegram was the incident which sparked the Franco-Prussian war. After the Spanish Cortes proposed Leopold von Hozenhollern for the throne of Prussia, King Wilhelm I and Napoléon III met at Ems to discuss the situation. Wilhelm passed on the report of the conference to Bismarck, the Chancellor altered the telegram to make it look like the Emperor had insulted Wilhelm. When this was published, riots broke out in France demanding "Revanche!" and war mania gripped the nation. Napoléon III declared war on Prussia in 1870. This was the result Bismnarck had been hoping for. He could now unite the North German Confederation and the southern German states against the common enemy.

History:
    Give, in 8 - 10 points, the origins, aims and history of the League of Nations, 1919 - 1939.

Rredwell wrote:
    Um..the Ems telegram was the incident which sparked the Franco-Prussian war. After the Spanish Cortes proposed Leopold von Hozenhollern for the throne of Prussia, King Wilhelm I and Napoléon III met at Ems to discuss the situation. Wilhelm passed on the report of the conference to Bismarck, the Chancellor altered the telegram to make it look like the Emperor had insulted Wilhelm. When this was published, riots broke out in France demanding "Revanche!" and war mania gripped the nation. Napoléon III declared war on Prussia in 1870. This was the result Bismnarck had been hoping for. He could now unite the North German Confederation and the southern German states against the common enemy.

History:
    Give, in 8 - 10 points, the origins, aims and history of the League of Nations, 1919 - 1939.
    finally someone replied! *mwah!*tans
    jus for you, i looked it up ok

*Origins
    Was the brainchild of President Wilson's fourteen point plan
    Set up by the Paris Peace Conference Jan 1919

*Aims
    It was a multilateral treaty dedicated to seeking world peace through the process of collective security.
    Aimed to prevent a repeat of WW1

*History
    Us was never involved,Germany (not until 1926) Ussr (1934)
    No army, no power
    It secured cooperation between Germany n Poland over the Siberian question
    It had very little power, suffered from a lack of financial resourcees and many(eg Mussolini) openly defied it

it was "all right when sparrows quarrel. It fails when eagles fall out"

ok my question, what poem contains the line "the trees, they tilted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Badger - Michael Longely.

My Q: What poem has these words in its first two line "What being sense fumble greasy till"?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

sci0x wrote:
    What poem has these words in its first two line "What being sense fumble greasy till"?
    September 1913 - W.B. Yeats

Give a few quotations relating to Claudius in Hamlet, and explain what they tell us about his character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

'' revenge should have no bounds''.... claudius speaking to leartes convincing him he should take revenge for his fathers death, it tells us he has the ability to deal with people (good quality in relation to kingship) and take advantage of them so to suit his situation.

"Alas, how shall this bloody deed be answered?, it will be laid to us''..... claudius speaking to gertrude after the death of polonius, this again shows his ability to take advantage of people for his own benifit,as here he even manages to turn a mother against her own son which in turn also illustrates the curruption of his character.

is that enough?!

staying with english... explain the river ''pouring redemption'' in kavanagh's canal bank walk. what is the name for the 'made-up' words he uses such as.. greeny, stilly, niagarously and leafy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

"the green waters of the canal pouring redemption for me" - after he's cancer operation he experienced a re-birth so the its like his baptism with the green waters of the canal being the water pouring over his head.
    Dont know what the words are called but they are used as a hyperbolé to emphasise everything, like who loud the cascade of water was as it "niagarously roars the falls for those who sit in the silence of mid-July".
    What is the word called actually? a Kavanaghism or something :P

I'd like to know that word too. It would be very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cessy

well if u make up your own word its called "coining" a word !!hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Is it poetic licence?-making up words?

the technical term used for made up words is neologisms...
    does that mean i get to ask again!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Right this question is very off topic and is not going to appear in the leaving so im sorry for putting it up but this is the only thread anyones in!!!I get the feeling that this thread is more about the actual leaving exam so is there any forum just for second level students??Sorry again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Name the neurotransmitter associated with Parkinson's disease.

*stabs in the dark* acethylcholine? (yes, the spelling is prob horribly wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

dopamine

sci0x wrote:
    Badger - Michael Longely.

My Q: What poem has these words in its first two line "What being sense fumble greasy till"?
    What need you being come to sense

tommy tiernan
    "cracked"

*sighs contentedly*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

dopamine

damn beat me to it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

prostituition imagery: compares fortune to a strumpet (cheap whore)
    "we lie about the middle of her favours" - her, eh, special area
    = fortune neither loves nor hates us, but she's a nasty old bitch!

compares himself to a "drab" (cheap whore)
    in that sollioquoy that starts with "o what a rouge and peasant salve am i............"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

3 ways in which taxation can affect business.

ok um give two reasons why the bed of the centre lathe is made from cast iron...
    also out line the main differences between Izod and Charpy testing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

*stabs in the dark* acethylcholine? (yes, the spelling is prob horribly wrong)

Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter, but dopamine is the correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

k, some of those are not mentioned in the textbook but if you explained them and could justify the reasoning, then who knows? (also thay could just be in less stress and not in the my book)

The ones in the textbook are: (p81)
    1. Close Subtitutes available
    2. Expensive Goods
    3. Durable Goods
    4. Subject to consumer habits/brand loyalty
    5. The cheaper of 2 in joint demand

I'd be using most of those as well though I'd be more inclined to talk about the amount of income spend on a good rather than the price of the good itself for the second point; it'd be elastic if a consumer spent lots of income on it and inelastic otherwise.
    The others are very good, but I'd never heard of the 4th being used before! The 6 I had learned off were:

1. Close Substitutes
    2. Proportion of income spent on good
    3. Durability
    4. Needs/Luxuries (Needs inelastic, Luxuries elastic)
    5. Complimentary goods
    6. Amount of time given to take account of price change (more elastic over a longer time period)

Number of uses is, apparently, a fairly rubbish point to use so avoid it if you can. You'll probably have around 6 or 7 factors affecting elasticity and you'll most probably only need 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

General structure of the reproductive
    system – male and female. Functions of
    the main parts.
    Role of meiosis in the production of sperm
    cells and egg (ova).
    (The detailed treatment of spermatogenesis
    and oogenesis are not required).
    Definition of “secondary sexual
    characteristics”.
    Role of oestrogen, progesterone,
    and testosterone.
    The menstrual cycle: the events and outlined
    role of oestrogen and progesterone.

THE ABOVE IS THE DEPT OF EDUCATIONS BIOLOGY SYLLABUS. THERE IS NO MENTION OF ANYTHING LIKE "DEFINITION OF ORGASM"
    If anyone wants a copy of the syllabus for info purposes it is probably available on the dept of educs site or i can email it to anyone who wants it. my bio teacher gave it me as a PDF.

Waltons wrote:
    5. Complimentary goods
    6. Amount of time given to take account of price change (more elastic over a longer time period)

Thanks for the info!
    And could you explain these fully? I think I have the main idea for number 5, but I don't understand what you mean by "amount of time given". Who.what is giving it time to adjust to pricw change - is it because of changesin the costs of production?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Well 5 is basically what you were saying about goods in joint demand. The cheaper is generally inelastic, while the more expensive is elastic.
    As for the amount of time, the longer any price change persists, the greater the PED. For example, if the price of electricity goes up by 100% then in the short term people will adjust by using less electricity but in the long run they'll get ways to avoid using electricity.
    Thus, the demand curve will initially be highly inelastic becoming more elastic as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

3 examples of crops in Midi region of France

Advertisement