Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intelligent DECT base

Options
  • 12-05-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there is such a thing as an intelligent DECT base unit. When I say intelligent, I mean you could get a DECT adapter for your PC and communicate with the base unit rather than through a handset. I'd imagine this kind of thing would allow you to perform the usual functions accessible via the handset but you could also produce reports of calls made and received. If you could then apply a set of charging rules you could keep track of your phone spend instead of waiting for the shock every couple of months. And if the base had answering machine capabilities it could mail you a WAV/MP3 of the message once it's been recorded.

Has this been done? Because I can't find anything that is suitable for domestic environments. I'm just trying to find a reasonably priced DECT phone with a call barring feature but I've just been thinking over the past couple of days.

Otherwise I've just blown another patent idea :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

You could have a peek at Asterisk

Also, you could have a look over at the VoIP forum.
    I get most of the things you mentioned by virtue of being a blueface.ie customer.
    I have an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) which allows me plug my DECT basetation and connect to a SIP server via ethernet for VoIP.

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I must admit, for all the times I've seen people refer to BlueFace I've never paid much attention. Maybe I looked at it when first came out and wasn't too impressed but after looking now, it's all beginning to look very attractive. I especially like the ATA unit. It looks like the call barring would be done through the Dial Plan settings on that particular ATA. Have you tried doing this?

I need to read more about T&C's with BF but with DECT phones featuring call barring clocking in at €80, I'm very very tempted to take the plunge and rid myself of the line rental ball and chain which, in itself, would cover the BF Plus product.

And, you're right. It does blow my intelligent DECT thing out of the water as far as broadband-able people are concerned. But for poor suckers without broadband, I think it's a good idea.

Advertisement