Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Monster v Bandit

Options
  • 12-05-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

I'm buying a new bike in the next few weeks and at the moment its between a Ducati Monster (600cc) and Suzuki Bandit (600/650cc). I like the naked look bike without fairings frills etc. Just 2 wheels, an engine, saddle and handlebars type look. On looks the Monster has won me over however reading some reviews the reliability of the ducati seems to be an issue. Also there are comments on costs of ducati spares and struggling at low speeds (Dublin traffic!!)

Are they in the same insurance category?

Any views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The Ducati hands down on looks, but I have heard from alot of very reliable sources that the are very expensive on parts. And because of the way the cam shaft's are tuned the sound like a bag of spanners when idiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

Well if it was between those two I'd have to pick the bandit, purely because of cost ( like K-TRIC said, the spares ) but if you're going for a naked 600 have you considered the honda hornet 600, I think it looks much better than a bandit and you can't go wrong with a honda. but if you have your heart set on either a bandit or monster, go with the bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm buying a new bike in the next few weeks and at the moment its between a Ducati Monster (600cc) and Suzuki Bandit (600/650cc). I like the naked look bike without fairings frills etc. Just 2 wheels, an engine, saddle and handlebars type look. On looks the Monster has won me over however reading some reviews the reliability of the ducati seems to be an issue. Also there are comments on costs of ducati spares and struggling at low speeds (Dublin traffic!!)

Are they in the same insurance category?

Any views?

I suggest you check out the insurance on these bikes..preferably be sitting down before you are given a quote !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The duke for looks, uniqueness and sound..
    The Bandit for reliability, cheap service, parts, aftermarket parts, and value for money..

Can you take them both for a test spin? See which suits you better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

budget depending really
    wud u not consider a hornet or fazer600
    better than both by a long way
    out of the two the monster wud be more for looks and a bit of posing
    handles decent with good brakes but the engine is suspect(40ish bhp at the wheels, about the same as a cbr250!)
    the bandit can be cusotmies to death, will be more reliable etc etc and is lots faster
    id pick the hornet for sure
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm by no means set on either bike and will now look at the Hornet aswell. As almost everyone agrees the looks of the Ducati make it a winner hands down. If they could sort out the reliability, servicing costs, suitability for journeys greater than 30miles, and better pillion passanger seating (which would possibly ruin the looks!!!) it would be a hands down winner.

I've looked at the Fazer and amn't mad about its looks.

I'll deffo have to get insurance quotes aswell as these may have a big bearing on my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

never liked the looks of the ductti,

get a bros ;) i love mine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the monster is a bike to admire. the jap stuff are bikes to ride but are nearly soulless.
    if u can stretch to a low level harley that is also an option. they have the advantage of depreciating little also.
    the vrod is arguably the nicest production motorcycle in the world about 19 grand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I had a bandit 600 for two years and it was a great bike - I loved the sound - went to London on it once - the saddle on the old model on long journeys was terrible but it has been redesigned on the latest models.
    My one was the naked one as well - its the only way to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Bandit 600 - lots of bike for the money. good work horse , parts are cheap,servicing easy, build quality fine, seen good few with mad mileage
    air-oiled cooled engine takes time to warm up and sounds nice,
    due to insurance price you can get nearly new bandit for 5000-5500euro

Ducati- has own charm and is the simplest way to enter Ducati World, great engine sound and pull, twin cylinder engine makes town driving very easy.

but

servicing costs will bring you back to reality very quick, specially if you are going to cover good few miles. Belts have to be replaced every 12000 miles Ducati Dublin will charge you close to 1000yoyo's for 12k service.
    many people buy them to have Ducati then sell them before service.

Service history is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

bandit 600 is group 10
    ducati monster dark (600) group 9
    ducati monster dark (620 newer version) group 10
    ducati monster 600/620 group10/11 (not 100% sure of this)

hibernian

if its any help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ratchet wrote:
    Bandit 600 - lots of bike for the money. good work horse , parts are cheap,servicing easy, build quality fine, seen good few with mad mileage
    air-oiled cooled engine takes time to warm up and sounds nice,
    due to insurance price you can get nearly new bandit for 5000-5500euro

Ducati- has own charm and is the simplest way to enter Ducati World, great engine sound and pull, twin cylinder engine makes town driving very easy.

but

servicing costs will bring you back to reality very quick, specially if you are going to cover good few miles. Belts have to be replaced every 12000 miles Ducati Dublin will charge you close to 1000yoyo's for 12k service.
    many people buy them to have Ducati then sell them before service.

Service history is a must.

how much is harley servicing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i have no expierience with Harleys

Advertisement