Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students Union and voting

• 13-05-2005 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

People here ever vote for a student president, know who he/she is or do people even care. When the elections were taking place, candidates were more concerned with getting the price of alcohol reduced, cheaper food and a load of other promises that would have been in no way achievable (Not to mention some candidates [font=&quot]couldn’t [/font] even spell correctly).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I voted in first year.....refused to this year as the candidates who's information I read had terrbile spelling and grammer.

who else took a silent stand and didnt care what the SU did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

[QUOTE=bp_me
    who else took a silent stand and didnt care what the SU did.[/QUOTE]

The whole college. Nobody cares what the SU do. SU is pretty much a joke. They have done very little for the students of waterford over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

but why do they always make the same unachievable promises each and every year??
    more PC's for students, lower food prices etc.
    stuff that the students union will have little to NO say over and never get every year!!

LanceStorm wrote:
    but why do they always make the same unachievable promises each and every year??
    more PC's for students, lower food prices etc.
    stuff that the students union will have little to NO say over and never get every year!!
    Because it sounds good. They know what there saying is unachievable but sure they do it for a laugh anyway and when they are elected they just arse around for the year.
    What kind of perks come with been student president anyway?

angry_fox wrote:
    Because it sounds good. They know what there saying is unachievable but sure they do it for a laugh anyway and when they are elected they just arse around for the year.
    What kind of perks come with been student president anyway?

I don't know....I imagine there is some kind of money involved anyway...not much though I would imagine.

On a serious note.....has anyone here actually had an issue that the SU helped them with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ok I have left this way to long :D
    On a serious note.....has anyone here actually had an issue that the SU helped them with?

I haven't and I don't think I know anyone that has.

1. The SU of WIT are there so that they can put it on their CV and for the 20,000 or so the president is paid. I am not sure what the others get paid.
    2. D01, which has already been mentioned on this Forum, lacks everything. Computers you can log on to and Health and Safety Requirements under LAW. Try sitting on one of the chairs.
    3. Coca-Cola, both the SU of Ireland and the TUI have called on bans for their products. WIT is sponsored by Coca-Cola, the only drinks that don't come from its range in the college is Capri Sun and Lucozade.

Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic.

they get paid 20,000????
    so if I make up some crap that i'll build a new bowling alley and arcade in the T building, then never deliver, i'll get paid 20,000!!

why does everyone want to ban CocaCola?!?!?

The TUI want to remove the amount of Fizzy products around not just Coca Cola. Lets face it Coca Cola are everywhere, its hard to avoid their products.

And the SU in DIT have been campainge for Workers Rights in 3rd World Countries, Coca Cola are major offenders.

IMO

1. I would like to buy Club Orange/Lemon as I hate Fanta.
    2. I would like to buy 7up as I hate Sprite
    3. Coke is far worse and it's what I drink the most only because I don't like Fanta/Sprite. I might drink Lilt sometimes.
    4. I don't think it is Right that WIT are so linked to such a major company.

Choice is what I would like.

Lets face it you will end up drinking BPM soon rather then Lucozade.

LanceStorm wrote:

They have nothing else better to be doing. Think UCD got Cocacola banned last year

If i get elected president im going to build a roller-coaster around the IT building and have a giant cinema screen installed in the car park. The wearing of thongs will be made mandatory for ladies (optional for guys).............

Heard that the students union are given a as car as well and they dont have to worry bout the price of petrol either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Elmo wrote:
    IMO

1. I would like to buy Club Orange/Lemon as I hate Fanta.
    2. I would like to buy 7up as I hate Sprite
    3. Coke is far worse and it's what I drink the most only because I don't like Fanta/Sprite. I might drink Lilt sometimes.
    4. I don't think it is Right that WIT are so linked to such a major company.

Choice is what I would like.

Lets face it you will end up drinking BPM soon rather then Lucozade.

what are you babbling on about, its the friggin naughties dude, you have the choice you make your own decisions, so you if you want to buy 7UP instead of Sprite then fire away and fo it, no body is stoping you!!! Or if you would prefer you can drink Lilt,!! WTF???

I don't have a clue what your talking about? Why do you feel the need to give people the low down on your "whats hot and whats not" regarding soft drinks??

1)I think we all know the health issues regards high sugar content
    2)I think we all know the health issues regards high sugar content
    3)Opps didn't i just say that?
    4)Why am i putting things in a ordered list?
    5)I have no idea, but isn't this fun?
    :D

• Advertisement

Bags first rollercoaster ride!!

Do you have to provide your own thong or are they supplied??!
    Cuz ive this wonderful leopard skin number!!

I think for hygene it should be provide your own.

I would like to propse a motion to the floor:
    - No leopard skin style underwear

what are you babbling on about, its the friggin naughties dude, you have the choice you make your own decisions, so you if you want to buy 7UP instead of Sprite then fire away and fo it, no body is stoping you!!! Or if you would prefer you can drink Lilt,!! WTF???

And I though it was the 2000's.

I would by other products outside the Coca Cola range but I cann't in the college because there are no products to by outside the Coca Cola Range.

Sorry that I didn't make that clear.

Elmo wrote:
    And I though it was the 2000's.
    QUOTE] Eh yeah, it is the 2000's, A.K.A. the naughties!! cuz its full of zero's

Eh yeah, it is the 2000's, A.K.A. the naughties!! cuz its full of zero's

Yeah! was being sarcastic. It's like the way some people where trying to make us say yo yos for euros :(

Way of the topic perhaps this is why the students union is not very helpful.

Elmo wrote:
    Yeah! was being sarcastic. It's like the way some people where trying to make us say yo yos for euros :( .

Yo Yos for euros? you lost me now pal!
    anyway back to the topic......No leopard skin style underwear!! Horrah!
    are satin tongs OK?
    :)

Will we start our own SU were Rollo can wear his satin thongs and Elmo can wear his leopard skin underwear, and then the two can fight it out in the "Cage of Doom", while the rest of us look on and get drunk

eh, no
    lets not do that!

What is wrong with ye people? Has everyone gone mad?

Anyway, the only time that ive ever seen the SU jump into action was when they closed the Dome for a week a while back, since then, they have been pretty quiet. All that I see happening outside the SU offices these days is people smoking, havin a giggle and dropping their fag-butts on the ground for people to sweep up.

i pursume they do a lot of administration work that we wouldn't directly notice, it can't all be fag's and jellybeans for those guys. Does anyone know if they have a website where they keep the students up to date on their activites?

Erm, just as i suspected!! Full of usefull information. Check it out
    http://www.wit.ie/witsu/

In all fairness how are the SU meant to function properly as a union when even they have no voice, or even worse if they do have a voice they have no medium to broadcast if from.

What a waste of time!! :mad:
    I'm very disapointed with the Students Union

(And on a different topic, the state of the WIT website, i don't think its changed in the 4 years i have a student here, the navigation is the worst ever!)

• Advertisement

Where's the link on the main wit page for it. Cant see it. Was looking for there website for ages. Nice one Rollo.

Looking at other SU websites, UCC, NUI have an excellent site. Even Carlow has a better one than WIT.

i pursume they do a lot of administration work that we wouldn't directly notice, it can't all be fag's and jellybeans for those guys. Does anyone know if they have a website where they keep the students up to date on their activites?

Erm, just as i suspected!! Full of usefull information. Check it out
    http://www.wit.ie/witsu/

In all fairness how are the SU meant to function properly as a union when even they have no voice, or even worse if they do have a voice they have no medium to broadcast if from.

What a waste of time!! :mad:
    I'm very disapointed with the Students Union

(And on a different topic, the state of the WIT website, i don't think its changed in the 4 years i have a student here, the navigation is the worst ever!)

They do update the website from time to time, but I dont think the SU part has ever changed.

The thing is thou, that no one is kept informed about any of the college activities. I think the student magazine "The Grapevine" is the only medium in the college with any inflence or audience. The people behind Grapevine should make an attempt at putting issues and archives of the Grapvine online and maybe develop from there so that at least some organisation from within the college is getting a point across!

http://su.ucc.ie/ vs www.wit.ie/witsu/
    (UCC Vs WIT)

Hem, compare and contrast these two student unions.
    The first thing i noticed is that UCC have a students union as opposed to WIT just having a picture of people walking in a street!!

The forum on the UCC website is a good idea, it keeps people coming back to the website! Thats the most important thing about any web pressence = = "many many return visitors you can get". i know for sure no one will return to the WIT SU website to look at that amazing jpeg!

@Rollo

Have you ever tried reading the Grapvine?? It's usually so filled with grammer and spelling errors that I put it down again in disgust.

There is no point trying to address serious issues if the spelling and grammer isn't correct. It's not that hard to proof read an article before priniting it, but the lack of effort suggests that the people behind it don't really care about.

And before you say anything about proof-reading taking time, if I can read the paper front to back in under half and hour, so I'm sure could many other people, and probably faster.

And before you say anything about proof-reading taking time, if I can read the paper front to back in under half and hour, so I'm sure could many other people, and probably faster.

Why don't you volunteer to proof read it for them?

I am sure you could be the editor, if you wanted the job.

As for spelling and grammer mistakes, boards is full of them. (I think I might be one of the main causes.)
    Hem, compare and contrast these two student unions.

You could do the website for them.

I mean no one has actally suggested helping the SU out.

I would but I have that thing to do, you know. Very Important stuff. :)

Elmo wrote:
    Why don't you volunteer to proof read it for them?

I am sure you could be the editor, if you wanted the job.

As for spelling and grammer mistakes, boards is full of them. (I think I might be one of the main causes.)

I was considering it at one point (volunteering to proof read), but apart from my course work, I am also kept busy with commitments outside of the college. I feel it could end up being the proverbial straw.

As far as spelling and grammer on a forum go, I would tend to expect that. And that expectation means that it doesn't bother me. However, when one of the students main form of expression in WIT is full of the same sort of mistakes it does begin to bother me.

I will pick up a copy of the latest issue and have a look over lunch and see how bad this one is.

your dead right, there is a bucket load of errors in the grapevine but at least they make the effort, even if it is a poor effort.

your dead right, there is a bucket load of errors in the grapevine but at least they make the effort, even if it is a poor effort.

You say at least they make an effort......I say anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I picked up a copy, but havent gotten a chance to read it yet....I'll get back to you on my findings.

p.s. Maybe someone should email the SU a link to this thread/forum.

• Advertisement

Having a look at it now. Has the usual rubbish and spelling mistakes.
    They have half a page dedicated to the Criminal Justice Bill. There's a petition to get it banned here.

Advertisement