Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSL certs and hosting

Options
  • 13-05-2005 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

is it possible to purchase an ssl cert from a different provider different from your host?

if one moves host is it possible to 'take' the ssl cert with you.... ie assign it to another ip address?

Has anyone ever heard of or used http://www.securelook.com/

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

SSL certs are fully independant of the host (or indeed server).

Just ensure you save the certs private key if you want to move it.

*if you want to give useful info, do so - stop pimping yourself

and

banned for 1 week*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

SSL certs are hostname based not IP address based. The IP address the SSL cert resides on is not important.
    What is important is the certificate signing request which uses a combination of strings that are generated by the web server's implementation of SSL combined with information submitted by the user.
    The CSR should match the cert.

You can move an SSL cert from one apache server to another without too much hassle, but you can't move certs in IIS as easily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Take a look at ev1 Clifford, thats where we get our SSL certs from. Cheapest I've seen for a well known SSL provider.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/quickssldetails.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

Graham wrote:
    Take a look at ev1 Clifford, thats where we get our SSL certs from. Cheapest I've seen for a well known SSL provider.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/quickssldetails.asp

$49.00 !!!
    Thanks graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

GoDaddy do SSL certs for $29.99 a year. Not actually used them, but they claim 99% browser compatibility - whereas the EV1 certs are only compatible with 90% of browsers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyrecords

i get all my domains and certs of enom

i wouldnt get a cert less 100, read the small print if you getting one

and godady s been geting some bad reputation lately around some webhosting forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Ask the host you are moving to if they will migrate it for you. Might save you some time if you are unsure on how to move it.

If you are technical and understand ssl and can source it cheaper from a provider outside Ireland all well and good however if you want local support and to pick up the phone at a local rate you might look around the local providers.

To be honest you can pick ssl certs up from €20 in Ireland now thats installed with an ip and all if you wish, I dont see any reason to be crossing seas for a deal.

Advertisement