Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6230i avail for 119 euro on Meteor Billpay!

Options
  • 13-05-2005 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

The nokia 6230i is now available on Meteor Billpay for 119 quid with a monthly committment of 20 euro (which includes 60 mins calls and free Meteor2Meteor texts til 31/12/05...)

If u spend 40 a month or 60 a month u can get the fone for 99/79 respectively.

Didnt think it was available on Meteor but Carphone Warehouse in Grafton St confirmed it to me y'day.

Nice. Anyone know if I can port from Meteor Pay as you to billpay, thought i read somewhere here that someone couldnt recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As far as i know, you can't port from Meteor PAYG to Bill Pay just yet in CPW. You can however port onto another network then port back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

RachG wrote:
    As far as i know, you can't port from Meteor PAYG to Bill Pay just yet in CPW. You can however port onto another network then port back.
    Comreg have gotten wind of that practice by CPW Rach so I would maybe think twice before doing it...

Afaik, Vodafone became aware of it and reported it. But Im not certain of that part.

Savage price on the phone though I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Sorry, just to clarify the above.

Recently, CarphoneWarehouse got capability to sign up Post Pay contracts.

As yet though, they do not have the facilities to take an existing Meteor Prepay line, and turn it into a Post Pay account while retaining the existing number.

So, due to this they have been doing one of two things in order to still make their sale:

1. Sign customer up to a new number and advise them to visit the nearest Meteor store and request their old number to be transferred onto the new accoutn, replacing the new number issued.

or

2. Port the customer's PrePay number out to either O2 or Vodafone as a PrePay account. Once Port completes, port the number back onto Meteor but as a PostPay account.

It seems Vodafone became aware of 2. and reported it to Comreg as an abuse of the porting facility/process.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

popped into carphone warehouse at lunch and asked. They said they were supposed to be able to transfer PAYG to BillPay from last Monday but while they're ready, Meteor have yet to clear it (or something).

They expect it to be running properly in the next 7-10 days.

However, they did offer the porting to Vodafone for 1 day, then back to Meteor BillPay.

Either way, gonna buy that phone soon, cant resist it for 100Euro!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Do they have the actual phones in the shops yet? I rang carphone warehouse in Naas and they don't have them.

• Advertisement

I believe Grafton St to be the only stockists thus far...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

What are meteor like these days, call quality wise? Last experience I had with them was a couple of years ago making a call on a friends mobile and it disconnected me about 5 times on the same call. That was probably around the time that they had god awful coverage though.

Might go take a look at that phone, looks very neat. I've rapidly gotten sick of my 6600 on vodafone. The volume in the phone is beyond shocking. The difference in tarrif between Meteor and Voda are nuts. €19 on Voda for 30mins but 60mins on Meteor for only a euro more.

never had any trouble since i changed last autumn. Live in dublin and travelled all over country with no probs so far!!

Does anyone know can you get the €60 tariff and then change down to €40 to get the phone cheaper?

id imagine its in the T&C's somewhere that you have to stay on the tariff for the first 12 months or something

• Advertisement

rymus wrote:
    id imagine its in the T&C's somewhere that you have to stay on the tariff for the first 12 months or something
    I've changed after a month before with Eircom so I thought maybe...

Went into CPW & Meteor shop this evening to check it out... neither had any clue about it coming out. Nothing more than I'd expect from the dumbasses in both shops though. In fairness to the girl in the meteor shop though she recommended I check back next week as the woman that does the ordering isn't going to be in until tomorrow.

6ix, any ideas when either CPW or Meteor are going to have the phones in? If possible I'd like to get the phone and port over next week. I'll keep hassling meteor anyway until I'm told to go away or handed the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Should be in already, in some stores.

maybe my local crowd are just pathetically slow so.. I'll check again on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Nothing on either website about that offer !!

Dec

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshakey
    DRM= digital Rights Management

it is mircosoft wma file format the same as an mp3. but there is protection on it, meaning it only can be played on one computer and one device.. most music providers use it when u buy a song off the internet. e.g msn music , napster and eircom music to name but a few..

Can I use music which I have copied from my own cds?

litirspam

I think ur lost

Dec

Maybe the looming Eircom takeover is sending all the agents a little wacky.. I was talking to another guy in the Cork branch today and he didn't seem to know what the hell I was on about.

CPW on Grafton St told me that you cant get the phone anywhere else for this price. (ie in any other CPW, or anywhere else). While this sounds like a cheap sales pitch, it seems to be the truth.

Basically, they're giving you a sim free phone and if you sign up to Meteor billpay, its at a discounted price.

Meteor shops say that they "wont be selling the phone in the near future", so for now, it appears that CPW on Grafton St is your only hope for the phone at a cheaper price. Its sim free in 3G for 369 euro if you're so inclined.

I'm going there today to try to get mine so will post back to confirm if all goes well.

rang CPW, said they should have stocks of it over the next couple of days.... I'll believe that when I see it. I'd be less inclined to pay anything more than €120 for it...

Let us know how you get on anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

has no one had any problems with these cause ive heard that there is major issues with these in the uk ?

any feedback ?

got it today, no hassle. Nice bit of gear, but havent got to fully try it out yet!

Sarge wrote:
    has no one had any problems with these cause ive heard that there is major issues with these in the uk ?

any feedback ?

What did you hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

review

the call backs

*edited cos the review i had before it was the same :(

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-6230i-en.shtml

Doesn't seem like such a bad review. Haven't read the others. This review is also very old. 23rd June 2004

6ix wrote:
    got it today, no hassle. Nice bit of gear, but havent got to fully try it out yet!

Did you get this on the €20 tarrif

ie 119 and 20 a month for 12 months

Thanks
    Dec

CPW in Cork better have it tomorrow or I'd say I'll be weekending in Dublin.

6ix, how big is the screen? The specs on the nokia site say 208 x 208 px which would make it as tall as my 6600's screen and wider. Unless the phone is much wider than I had thought I cant see a 208px sq screen being shoehorned in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Gotta get me one of these. Is it definitely sim free and on the €20 a month contract, 6ix ?

yep, its def sim free and ive got it on the 20/month contract!

as for the screen, im not sure if its smaller than the 8800, but its 'reasonable' i guess. certainly not huge (as you can see in one of the reviews posted above).

No major bugs so far, though it did restart itself once, but i think that was cos i pressed too many buttons at once.

• Advertisement

Whats the call volume like? If I make a call when I'm in the car (even parked at the side of the road) I have to strain to hear what the person on the other end is saying. The microphone volume seems to be grand, it's just the speaker volume that gets on my tits quite alot.

I think my 6600 is going into full-blown protest mode. I tried to make a call 5 times the other day and each time I pressed dial it'd appear to be dialling but it'd drop me back out to entering the number after a second or two. Buggyness Maximus!

Aaaaaaaaanyway, might pop into town tomorrow and get one. They appear to finally have them.

Advertisement