Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP and pstn

Options
  • 13-05-2005 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

ok two things is it possible to get a wireless VOIP phone i.e. I don't want to have to plug it into an ethernet port, also is it possible to connect to both VOIP and pstn at the same time so incoming calls come in on both my psten line and on my VOIP number but all outgoing calls go over VOIP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Check this one out.

EDIT:
    [STRIKE]Some ATAs let you do that. See the sticky about hardware.[/STRIKE]
    Ignore this, I misunderstood the question.
    What you need is a phone with two lines connected to an ATA that has PSTN passthrough. Grandstream Handytone 386 is probably the cheapest.

Cheers,
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

Question 1: http://www.dualphone.net/

Question 2: Doubt it. But you could probably forward PSTN to VoIP number if no pick-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I am using a sipura 3000 (has a PSTN incomming line) and with a DECT cordless phone.

This will allow the cordless phone receive both VOIP and PSTN calls. Out going calls can be routed over either line and there is automatic fallback to PSTN in the event of powerfailure or loss of network

Willie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

JoyPad wrote:
    Check this one out.
    Cabaal - can you add this to the Hardware Sticky:

Hitachi WirelessIP5000 Wireless Handset
    Allows 2 independent lines : Yes (several)
    Acts as Router: ?
    PSTN Fallover: No
    Product Website: Hitachi WirelessIP5000

thx,
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

zap wrote:
    ok two things is it possible to get a wireless VOIP phone i.e. I don't want to have to plug it into an ethernet port, also is it possible to connect to both VOIP and pstn at the same time so incoming calls come in on both my psten line and on my VOIP number but all outgoing calls go over VOIP.
    In my experience of WiFi VoIP phones they don't work very well and they are very expensive. DECT handsets with an ATA work very well and are a much better option. Sure DECT handsets won't work in WiFi hotpsots but there are not a huge number of WiFi hotpsots you can use without doing some kind of registration/login through a web browser.

To do the PSTN/VoIP combination you are talking about you will need a device with both an FXS and FXO port such as the Sipura 3000.

Aaron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

aaronc wrote:
    In my experience of WiFi VoIP phones they don't work very well and they are very expensive. DECT handsets with an ATA work very well and are a much better option. Sure DECT handsets won't work in WiFi hotpsots but there are not a huge number of WiFi hotpsots you can use without doing some kind of registration/login through a web browser.

To do the PSTN/VoIP combination you are talking about you will need a device with both an FXS and FXO port such as the Sipura 3000.

Aaron

I'm new to VOIP so what is a DECT handset and what's and ATA

zap wrote:
    I'm new to VOIP so what is a DECT handset and what's and ATA
    DECT is the technology used in the cordless phone sets you will find for sale in every electrical store.

ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter and is a device that can connect to an analogue phone, including a DECT one, and to an internet connection. The ATA allows you to place calls from an analogue/DECT phone to a VoIP server. You can think of it as a black box that, provided you have a broadband internet connection, is all you need to make VoIP calls.

Aaron

so would the pstn line and the ethernet cable go into the ata then and then I would connect the dect phone base station to it?

zap wrote:
    so would the pstn line and the ethernet cable go into the ata then and then I would connect the dect phone base station to it?
    There's no need for a PSTN line unless you are going to use it for failover. You plug the Ethernet cable, that is connected to your broadband connection, and the DECT base station into the ATA.

Aaron

ye i want the pstn for fallover and i want incoming calls on the pstn to go to that handset

• Advertisement

Then the Sipura 3000 is your best bet; imho not quite as good is the Grandstream ATA486.

causal

causal wrote:
    Then the Sipura 3000 is your best bet; imho not quite as good is the Grandstream ATA486.

causal

does anyone know where i can purchase one of these and what the general price is? I assume they fit the rj11 plug on the end of my wireless phone witohut any sort of extra adapter being needed?

Yes they have two RJ11 sockets - 1 FXS and 1 FXO i.e. one to your handset and one to your wall socket respectively.

Blueface sell the 2100 for €130; they may be able to get you the 3000 which will be slightly more.
    Otherwise you can try eBay - just make sure the power adapter is European standard (220V/50Hz) and not US (110V/60Hz).
    I bought a Grandstream 486 for €85 (incl P&P) on eBay - it'd be about €130 here.

hth,
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Blueface are selling the Sipura 3000 now if I'm not mistaken.

do different countries not use different size phone jacks, what are those funny rectangular one si sometimes see as opposed to the bog standard rj11 ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Englad does use different jacks I think. RJ11 is more common though.

The UK use this one. <- that's actually a UK to RJ11 adapter; Argos sell them.

causal

paulm17781 wrote:
    Englad does use different jacks I think. RJ11 is more common though.
    BT in the bad old days, developed their own jacks to try and put off people buying cheaper phones and equipment from out side the UK......... They even had to change the wiring regulations to allow them be used!!

The sipura 3000 uses RJ11. Blueface sells the sipura 2100 and not the 3000. I bought my 3000 from http://store.voxilla.com/customer/ when I was in holidays in the US for around $100, I think that their prices are cheaper than you will get in Europe even after carrage and VAT etc.

Willie

Blueface are now selling the Sipura 3000 for 135 Euro (inc vat and delivery).

Willie.

[edit] I have removed the original content of this message because it referred to a post from a spammer that has since been deleted.

Thank you Mods/Admins :)

causal

• Advertisement

what you on about?

Sorry - just to clarify

Some idiot called Wowbagger spammed loads of groups with an abusive post last night at that time.
    My post was directed at the moron Wowbagger.

I contacted Mods and Admins about him and he and his posts have since been deleted.

Obviously that meant my post appeared to be referring to WilleFlynn - this is NOT the case.
    Apolagies to Willie for any confusion and I'm deleting my post as it is no longer required.

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

causal wrote:
    Cabaal - can you add this to the Hardware Sticky:

done and done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 enno

causal wrote:
    I bought a Grandstream 486 for €85 (incl P&P) on eBay - it'd be about €130 here.
    €81 from fones.de, including shipping, apparently

That's for shipping* within Germany.
    Shipping* to Ireland (€38.18) puts the price up to €111.13

*DPD Geopost

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

causal wrote:
    That's for shipping* within Germany.
    Shipping* to Ireland (€38.18) puts the price up to €111.13

*DPD Geopost

causal

Which means GLS in Ireland - Don't go there :):):)

Advertisement