Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single player PC game?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a good addictive singple player PC game with an engrossing storying...any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Unless you've already played it - Knights Of The Old Republic 2

It'll even get you in the mood for the new film.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

JCDenton wrote:
    Unless you've already played it - Knights Of The Old Republic 2

It'll even get you in the mood for the new film.......

Adored the fist game, got bored of the 2nd one after about 2 hours of play. Its faaaar too samey combat wise to the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Diablo 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

tba wrote:
    Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

pld a fair bit.
    Glipmac wrote:
    Diablo 2

completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Vampire Bloodlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

planescape: torment, fallout and no one lives forever are my recommemdations for story and gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

thief 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

errr.... TETRIS!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

the longest journey

worlds of ultima: martian dreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Dungeon Lords.

Or get a commodore64 emulator and relive your youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can't remember the last time I was sucked in by a pc game. They all lost that loving feeling since flashpoint came and went.

EDIT have you tried Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. I was well impressed with the demo altho I can't guarantee the story is any good. Will be buying this game once I get my new sparkling credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

AVP2 and NOLF2 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

silent hunter 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Project IGI... mmm yes

EDIT:
    Glipmac wrote:
    Diablo 2
    ..storyline?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Khalim wrote:
    the longest journey

worlds of ultima: martian dreams

the longest journey gets my vote. apparantly theres a sequel in the pipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Tusky wrote:
    Looking for a good addictive singple player PC game with an engrossing storying...any suggestions ?

I'd have to say Operation Flashpoint Resistance. Only €14 now. or you can swap/borrow with me for something else. I also liked the Hidden and Dangerous games. The first one H&D deluxe is a free download. Other ones woule be Homeworld and I like all the Total War games. Adictive. Vietcong is ok, some annoying levels in it though. Theres a free expansion for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Vietcong is ok, some annoying levels in it though. Theres a free expansion for that too.

i'd second vietcong as a bit of a classic one player story driven fps, also mafia is absolutley quality provided you dont rip your hair out and fling your pc against a wall during the poxy taxi driving missions at the start. vice city for pc i cant reccommend highly enough, truly one of the best single player games ever IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I recommend H&D2 It has some annoying bugs but it's a real good game. Except for the boat level which drove me mad trying to find the mine spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Rome Total War.

To create story just relay your campaign stories on to the strategy forum every now and then and use your imagination.

here's an example with medievial totar war:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1819424&postcount=12

if all else fails the hidden and dangerous games are great and the first one is free

so is system shock 2. which is also engrossing (and pants wetting)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

koneko wrote:
    AVP2 and NOLF2 tbh

I'd agree with Koneko, "No One Lives For Ever 2" is a great game, although not as funny as the original (which I think you can pick up on budget for about a fiver!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

I recommend H&D2 It has some annoying bugs but it's a real good game. Except for the boat level which drove me mad trying to find the mine spots.

H&D2 is cool ok but H&D1 is getting a bit old (those mines annoyed the crap out of me too :rolleyes: )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

calhob_ie wrote:
    Vampire Bloodlines?

[avoidthisgame]OMFG avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid[/avoidthisgame]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

[avoidthisgame]OMFG avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid[/avoidthisgame]

[ignorethisbloke]You're wrong entirely.[/ignorethisbloke]

Seriously, Vampire: Bloodlines was one of the best games I've played recently. It's a good RPG with a decent enough storyline, and there's definetly a good load of replayability there. Quite under-rated, if it a little buggy, but it's fine once you patch it up.

And if you find a copy of it cheap somewhere, get Gothic 2. Quite possibly one of the best singleplayer RPGs on the PC ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

For a classic, and a very good story line, I'll say Arcanum, graphics wise it isn't fantastic at all, but its a great rpg.

I'm currently playing Silent Hunter 3, very good single player game, is keeping me hooked so far. Not so sure about a storyline on that one though...

Just, if you do get a game, don't go for Cossacks 2...holy christ, I was sorry I bought this game, its pathetic compared to the original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Deus Ex is highly recommended, if you haven't played it. It is probably somewhat dated now, but the storyline was engrossing and the gameplay top notch. Avoid Deus Ex 2 like the plague however, it took the franchise by the balls and squeezed until it shrivelled and turned purple. Not a pretty sight. I probably have an old copy lying around somewhere if you want. Um, if I can find it that is.

Someone else mentioned Planescape Torment. I also highly recommend this game from a storyline point of view. It plays a lot like Baldurs Gate (also recommended if you're into that kind of RPG) as it fits into that genre.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is better than most people give it credit for. Sure it is buggy, but as Karl-Hungus pointed out the patches sort most of the problems in that department out. Play as a nosferatu and see how people react to you. The original wasn't bad either, but it probably isn't worth getting at this stage.

Half life 2 has a very good story and gameplay. A little short unfortunately, and limited replay value, but at least you get quality entertainment for that time. I'm assuming you have played the original. If you haven't you should hit yourself a few times, cancel all plans for the next few days, go out and buy it, and play it until your eyeballs bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

while V:TMs horrific juddering in the hub areas on some systems is a pain in the áras, its most definitely worth playing. Plus you'll pick it up for as little as 15 lids

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Here's a few choices that you may not have considered:

For storyline and total immersion try Mafia - the closest thing to being a character in one of the old Mafia movies.

For sheer fun play Halo. It needs a fairly meaty graphics card on the pc but it really has stood the test of time.

For something a little bit different but totally addictive once you get into it try Sacrifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Psyconauts

Possibly best platform type game i played in years, i using PS2 pad on PC but KB seemingly works very well.

Avg 92% on gamerankings http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/922157.asp

Its also insane with a very funny plot and a storyline thats slightly weird.
    Its like Monkey Island meets Banjo and batters Mario.

5/5

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Max Payne 2 has the best single player storyline in a long time. its like being in a really dark film. one of the best games of last year, in my opinion.

also, try system shock 2. you can get in on home of the underdogs for free.

it scared the pants off me

Advertisement