Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single player PC game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

darwinia, short but sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Tusky wrote:
    JCDenton wrote:
    Unless you've already played it - Knights Of The Old Republic 2

It'll even get you in the mood for the new film.......

Adored the fist game, got bored of the 2nd one after about 2 hours of play. Its faaaar too samey combat wise to the first one.

I agree with that... so KOTOR1 has one of the nicest stories of all... I got bored of KOTOR2 as well, but now I just restart to play it looking for story links with the first one :)

Talking about great stories, I recommend old Arcanum, for its very nice world out there even the graphics aren't that great and it is a bit buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

KdjaC wrote:
    Psyconauts

Possibly best platform type game i played in years, i using PS2 pad on PC but KB seemingly works very well.

Avg 92% on gamerankings http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/922157.asp

Its also insane with a very funny plot and a storyline thats slightly weird.
    Its like Monkey Island meets Banjo and batters Mario.

5/5

kdjac

I'll second this. Playing through it on the Xbox now and it is excelent. Can't see the controls working well on a keyboard. But if you have a controller definatley buy this game. (if you don't it is worth buying a cheap one for)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm playing with WASD and mouse on PC, and its fine...... great game, very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Vampire Bloodlines or KOTOR.

Vampire Bloodlines is pretty class if you get it patched and manage to ignore the bugs/loading times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jesus...is it bad that Ive already played almost every game in this thread ? slightly worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

play with yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Boiling Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Boiling Point.

yeah im...acquiring that as we speak...v.slowly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Neverwinter Nights, hands down one of the most engrossing games ive played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Hey if you are into CRPGs there is some rich pickings out there and you can certainly lose yourself for a few days (weeks?) in a good RPG:

Kotor and Neverwinter have already been mentioned
    Morrowind
    Gothic1 & 2
    Arx Fatalis

Head along to [URL=http://]http://www.rpgdot.com/[/URL] for helpful advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I like sof2 ,,if you like fps games.good single player game,every level is different,good physics engine.

i also like i.g.i 1 AND 2 ,stealth fps, and enclave ,hack and slash action medieval game,with beautiful graphics and story.its not an rpg,more action packed game.also deus ex ,is a good sfi fi action rpg.with a complex storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Good plot lines,

well for me command and conquer are amazing games, the original RA and C&C where right pains to finish. They are classics and are available for a fiver, RA2 is good too engrosed me for month on end. Beyond that I suggest dungeon keeper, no real plot but the planning is quite taxing expecially if you play it without letting yourself save!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

adom
    is free
    on adom.de
    not everyone's cup of tea
    but to me
    it is deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Slurms wrote:
    Neverwinter Nights, hands down one of the most engrossing games ive played.

Tiss a good game. Why dont ya come and play it online with us lads from the roleplaying forum! Goto the forum for details.

Tusky I dont think any one mentioned HL2 I believe it had a good story or a good game for athmosphere is Nosfreatu, not sure how to spell that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Id have to agree with the people saying vampire:bloodlines is sh!t. It's terrible. The graphics are sub-par, youd hardly recognise the source engine at all. Step outisde your apartment and be wowed by the lack of options available to you, like "hmm should i walk over here to this dead end, or maybe this other dead end, or maybe over here where the game wants me to go if the bugs will allow me", blah..rubbish, rubbish rubbish, even at the budget price tag, i want my 15 euro back.

For good SP storyline id recommend Max payne 2, truly excellent game.
    GTA:VC (but tbh i found the story rubbish)
    Halo (oldie but goodie)
    and my old favourite, Return to castle wolfenstein..ridiculous zombie nazi plot so stupid you just have to love it.

I,recommend red alert 2 ,its got great story ,reds invade usa, great plot,with cgi and real video mixed into to each level,to advance explain the story,which has various twists and turns,like a film,its also a very good rts,the best i have played so far with loadsa wepons and tactics,reds use physic weapons against usa conventional weapons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Time to make myself unpopular.

Don't get SOF2 it's dreadful. After you get over the gory shotgun there is nothing in the game except to go through the same motions each level. and don't get me started on the dense marines that will shoot you if you run ahead of the slow bastards.

Also didn't like max payne 2. Storyline is a load of cliche ridden ****. You also realise that after the first level you will be doing the same jumping and shooting in slow motion for the rest of the game. At least it's mercifully short. However I'm probably the only person that doesn't like it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

SOF2 I just hated aswell. Payne 1 I liked. Not much to it alright.

• Advertisement

nightfire ,everything or nothing 2 good games with film like story,great games if u are a james bond fan.they use the actors from the films as voiceovers for the various characters ,i also like nolf 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Deadwing wrote:
    Id have to agree with the people saying vampire:bloodlines is sh!t. It's terrible. The graphics are sub-par, youd hardly recognise the source engine at all. Step outisde your apartment and be wowed by the lack of options available to you, like "hmm should i walk over here to this dead end, or maybe this other dead end, or maybe over here where the game wants me to go if the bugs will allow me", blah..rubbish, rubbish rubbish, even at the budget price tag, i want my 15 euro back.

How long did you play it for? More than 10 minutes?

What did you expect going into it? It's not an FPS, it's more RPG than FPS. I really enjoyed it, thought it was one of the better gamed released last year (despite the bugs, and that's saying something).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't get SOF2 it's dreadful. After you get over the gory shotgun there is nothing in the game except to go through the same motions each level. and don't get me started on the dense marines that will shoot you if you run ahead of the slow bastards.

Blow enemies throats/heads open from far away with the sniper rifle, use the knife to slice open their skull and peer at their brain, hack off all their limbs, riddle enemies with bullets long after their dead amid maniacal laughter and generally destroy all evidence of a body ever exisiting in a storm of blood and guts. It NEVER grows old! NEVER!

I think I did this to every single enemy where possible during the entire game.

To love SOF2, you'll more then likely has to be a big fan of brainless shooting. Think Quake with pretty graphics and amazingly realistic gore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blow enemies throats/heads open from far away with the sniper rifle, use the knife to slice open their skull and peer at their brain, hack off all their limbs, riddle enemies with bullets long after their dead amid maniacal laughter and generally destroy all evidence of a body ever exisiting in a storm of blood and guts. It NEVER grows old! NEVER!

To love SOF2, you'll more then likely has to be a big fan of brainless shooting. Think Quake with pretty graphics and amazingly realistic gore.

Arse. Putting a smily face in some ones chest with bullet holes is as good as it gets. About as dull as a damp day in a quake 2 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Violence does not a good game make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

koneko wrote:
    How long did you play it for? More than 10 minutes?

What did you expect going into it? It's not an FPS, it's more RPG than FPS. I really enjoyed it, thought it was one of the better gamed released last year (despite the bugs, and that's saying something).

I played it long enough to realise i wasnt ever going to enjoy it.
    The 'city' was exactly like the citys in deus ex 2, a couple of alleyways and a central hub, populated by the exact same couple of character models with the exact same lines of script, and only short of having huge flashing arrows with "!!!THIS WAY TO YOUR NEXT QUEST MR. VAMPIRE MAN!!!" pointing you in the direction you had to go next. I knew it wasnt an fps and im glad it wasnt, cause trying to shoot anything in first person mode was a lesson in utter frustration. I wont even get started on the bugs...all in all a horrific game, and not in the good kind of horrific way.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Thief 3 - has one of the best levels ever designed in the history of gaming IMO. v atmospheric. Plus, now an editor has been released, expect many brilliant expansions via www.ttlg.com. If you can pick up a copy of Thief 2 (available on budget I think) a apparantly excellent fan-made (took a team of them 4/5 years to make) expansion has just been released.

also, I'd have to agree with Vampire TM:R - great game, just make sure you get the patch(es)

Also, how is it nobody has mentioned a certain Valve game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

starcraft is good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

for great storyline: nothing beats deus ex 1 (thats one!) ,star wars: knights of the old republic 1 (and 2 was ok) , half life 1 and 2 r brillant but i dont care wat most people say i think the storylines are rubbish and sof2 was great fun online but did get boring on single player after u got sick of shotgun :P the Total war series are brillant too

• Advertisement

half life 1,2 and hl generations are good ,you need broadband to play hl2 and steam account,i think.

Advertisement