Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single player PC game?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

gamer wrote:
    half life 1,2 and hl generations are good ,you need broadband to play hl2 and steam account,i think.
    u dont need broadband to play hl2 u can still buy it in shop and just reg wit steam then run in offline mode but from ive heard all the addons r going to b only through download wit steam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Most of the big updates are for Counterstrike and Half life deathmatch so activating HL2 on a 56k is easy and painless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

activating HL2 on a 56k is easy and painless.

you can say a lot thing about Steam and 56k but the above is not one of them.

Took me about 5 hours with nothing much happening on screen to indicate anything happening.

Finally got the game working. Could not enjoy it the first day after that nightmare and I felt like I'd stolen the game the amount of cr@p it puts u through.

To top it all ,moved flat, did not play it for a while, went to launch HL2 then 'no steam account info found....'

I have no internet at the mo so I can play HL2 any more.

i will never install half life agian after this or buy anything that includes steam

Nothing to do with wether HL2 is good or not. Its great, pity.......

Sorry to rant but using Steam with 56K is like having a root canal by a drunk badger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It gives you plenty of time to make a nice cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm going to promote Planescape:Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Half Life and, especially, Deus Ex as well. The Thief series is very good too; the older ones are looking a little dated now though. System Shock 2 is good for a laugh as well.
    Obviously Baldur's Gate I & II if you haven't played them and maybe some of the Hitman games just for a laugh. I've got a copy of The Suffering (I've heard it's good...) but haven't had a chance to play it yet, so maybe have a look into that.
    I don't think anybody here has mentioned Freelancer yet though. If you're looking for spacey, shootey action (and haven't already finished Freelancer) go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

juno75 wrote:
    you can say a lot thing about Steam and 56k but the above is not one of them FOR ME

There, I edited that for you so it makes sense.

It's incredibly annoying when someone has one bad experience and thinks that translates into "this product is crap" or "that doesn't work". Your experience does not apply to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It only took me about 25min to activate. :/

There, I edited that for you so it makes sense.

What part does not make sense?
    It's incredibly annoying when someone has one bad experience and thinks that translates into "this product is crap" or "that doesn't work". Your experience does not apply to everyone.

yes mate, of course , I am the only user who has had these issues with steam on 56K.

Im sure steam is fine on BB. It is not a smooth piece of SW on dial up.

And if you are ' incredibly annoyed' then you really need to pull your self away from the PC for a while.
    I did not intimate my experinces applied to everyone. This is my experiance and I was quite clear on this.

There is no way you can say steam is grand on a NB connection.

Well, Im happy to annoy you any ways, Friday afternoon and all is slow....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Lego Star Wars is very addictive. Great fun!

My 2c anyways:

Hidden and Dangerous 2 Sabre Squadren Is a great single play, Im on my 3rd time thru it now (some peeps hate H&D series though, buglicious)

Rome Total War / Total Realism Mod has kept me going for 6 months solid now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

juno75 wrote:
    My 2c anyways:

Hidden and Dangerous 2 Sabre Squadren Is a great single play, Im on my 3rd time thru it now (some peeps hate H&D series though, buglicious)

Rome Total War / Total Realism Mod has kept me going for 6 months solid now...

I loved H&D1 (now a free download) as Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe.

I also love the older Shogun Total war. Plays well even on older hardware. The new ones need a much beefier machine, for essentially the same (improved) gameplay.

I also love the older Shogun Total war. Plays well even on older hardware. The new ones need a much beefier machine, for essentially the same (improved) gameplay.
    you could say that too pretty much every game

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    you could say that too pretty much every game

I wouldn't. The graphics are nearly always better, but the gameplay isn't always much different. For example the game play in Silent Hunter III is leaps and bounds better than Silent Hunter II. So the upgrade is worth it. In Total war the difference in gameplay between version is minimal.

its rare that a any game let alone a sequel to a game revolutionise the genre, sequels are usually a case of what the orginal did well and tweak. honestly was there any great gameplay improvement over half life 1 and half life 2?

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    its rare that a any game let alone a sequel to a game revolutionise the genre, sequels are usually a case of what the orginal did well and tweak. honestly was there any great gameplay improvement over half life 1 and half life 2?

My comment was valid for the game I mentioned. If you want to discuss a different issue I suggest you start a new thread with a different topic instead of dragging this one off topic.

Heres another example though... Falcon 4 is also a massive leap from Falcon 3... :D Fantastic Single Player and a dynamic game engine. However its a hardcore simulation rather than a game.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Waltons wrote:
    I'm going to promote Planescape:Torment...

Best RPG ever. Re-played it there about a month ago and my view wouldn't change. Anyone remeber the movies played when you cast a 9th level spell (because they were just THAT powerful)? Still hasn't been topped since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I had Planescape: Torment years ago. never gave it a chance as i played Galdurs Gate instead.
    did i miss out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Its good allright, very text heavy though. Its well known because of the quality of its narrative, alhough since pc games are not known as a bastion of quality prose it's about up to the quality of an average pulp fantasy novel. I'd highly recommend it though, just don't go into it thinking its going to be a life changing rpg experience as some of the ebay prices would lead you to believe.

I'd probably recommend Baldurs Gate 2 over it mind you, a much better all round RPG experience especially with some of the user made expansions.

juno75 wrote:
    And if you are ' incredibly annoyed' then you really need to pull your self away from the PC for a while.
    I did not intimate my experinces applied to everyone. This is my experiance and I was quite clear on this.

Ah, you're one of those people. Sooo amusing.

And no, you were not quite clear on it, you said "you can say a lot thing about Steam and 56k but the above is not one of them". That's more like stating fact instead of opinion. HL2 updates on 56k just fine for a lot of people. I agree it could be better, but I'm not going to tell people with 56k that they won't be to update/run the game because they don't have BB because that's BS.

And don't call me mate. I doubt you're English, I'm not a bloke and I'm certainly not your friend :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Slurms wrote:
    I had Planescape: Torment years ago. never gave it a chance as i played Galdurs Gate instead.
    did i miss out?

yes you did, to this day its one of my favourite story driven RPGs

• Advertisement

calhob_ie wrote:
    Its good allright, very text heavy though. Its well known because of the quality of its narrative, alhough since pc games are not known as a bastion of quality prose it's about up to the quality of an average pulp fantasy novel. I'd highly recommend it though, just don't go into it thinking its going to be a life changing rpg experience as some of the ebay prices would lead you to believe.

I'd probably recommend Baldurs Gate 2 over it mind you, a much better all round RPG experience especially with some of the user made expansions.
    Baldurs Gate II refuses to run on any of my computers, i think im fated not to play it...ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Get somebody else's computer then! Baldur's Gate II is a must play

I even bought a new computer, and ive tried 3 different copies on it, and none of them run :(
    God is cruel.

And don't call me mate. I doubt you're English, I'm not a bloke and I'm certainly not your friend

:D:D

baaaa haaa haa, poor angry koneko. you sure put me in my place!
    Ah, you're one of those people

Pray tell the intention of this statement?

FYI -
    I've spent half my life in England
    As regards to your gender, I call every one mate so whats the big deal?
    And I think I'll survive without yer overboard reactions in my life..

Finally -

Yes you are correct, after reading back the post it does come across as 'you cant play on 56K' this was not my intention. You can of course play but as the man said (or woman?) be prepared to make the tea......

Silent Hunter 3 is a class game btw :)

Pray tell the intention of this statement?

One of those people that likes to attack someone's post by attacking the poster. Patronising them and making them out to be a fool that takes things too seriously or is obviously inferior to you in some way. Someone that doesn't debate the topic or discuss it, but chooses to ridicule someone instead. (You did it again in your last post, "And I think I'll survive without yer overboard reactions in my life"). Little advice, you can't possibly tell what kind of person someone is from one or two posts, and you don't know anything about me, so leave that type of crap out of your posts, and you'll come across a lot better.
    juno75 wrote:
    Yes you are correct, after reading back the post it does come across as 'you cant play on 56K' this was not my intention. You can of course play but as the man said (or woman?) be prepared to make the tea......

And that's all I was saying, so I'm glad you've rephrased and made that clearer. It's a valid suggestion for a single player game, even if you don't have broadband.

Anyway that last part I quoted pretty much covers the topic at hand, so I don't think there's much point going over it again and again. I personally think HL2 was a good single player game, it was a little overrated (definitely not best game ever), but very good and definitely one to try out.

yikes,

looks like I pressed your buttons anyhow

and no I dont attack poster's as a response, you can read through my history if you really want to. I never have a problem with any posters , I think you are the first.

Now I shall pull back from this particular tangent before I get grief from admin.

I will look forward to further discussions.......

Anyway that last part I quoted pretty much covers the topic at hand, so I don't think there's much point going over it again and again. I personally think HL2 was a good single player game, it was a little overrated (definitely not best game ever), but very good and definitely one to try out

Agreed :)

juno75 wrote:
    There is only one person here on the aggressive and I am only being reactive.
    You sound like you take boards quite seriously.

Way to prove my point :p
    Like talking to a brick wall. Anyway, we'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

As you can see, post edited as not to cause further offence....

Advertisement