Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My little life story! Is emmigrating still worthwhile?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello everyone. This is my first posting ever on a public e-board. I'm 24 and I came out when I was 17, went back in for a little while as a result of the trauma it seemed to have all around me and then finally came back out first year of college.
    Since then I have grown from a meek little boy with so many insecurities to (what I would like to think) is a confident Irish guy. Alas I still feel repressed in this country. I'm from the midlands originally but now live and work closer to dublin. I can't seem to escape things. In my home town last year while home for my nieces christening, myself and my partner were hoped on by a group of local young lads (do I need to explain why?) in the wee hours of the morning... Since then my views of this country have reverted to very cynical ones. I even considered emmigrating to san fran, london anywhere but the majority of ppl tell me it's the same all over. What to do? I have reached a point where I'm no longer content with fitting into straight environments, but there are not many other options as far as i can see. Any suggestions. Google led me to some interesting irish gay groups yesterday which I am following up but I guess maybe I'm looking for reassurance once again in my life that I'm not alone in this. I know I'm not but some days it certainly feels like that.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hazimel

I visited San Fran once, it was very tolerant. I'm told Canada is too, which is one of the reasons why I'm moving there myself. I know that the law over there recognises a lot of gay rights and that the people are quite liberal. Co-habiting couples are afforded much (if not all) the same recognition as married couples in many instances.

To be honest, I think almost anywhere in Europe is more tolerant than Ireland. When I lived in Stuttgart, there were German men walking down the streets holding hands and nobody batted an eyelid. I've not allowed anyone to do the same with me in Dublin for fear of what might happen. Germany as a whole is actually fairly tolerant, despite some remaining pre-war sentiments.

All this being said, finding a solution to the problem is better than escaping it. That's a general statement, by the way. I don't expect you to mount a crusade!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same-sex partners walk casually hand in hand through London as well. At all hours of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭PaulinCork

Its funny, but I'm Yorkshire by nationality, and have found less homophobia in Cork than in england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Paul,

Cork's just chilled out! I've found it more tollerant than England when it comes to most things...

As long as you're willing to sware allegiance to the Cork flag, sing "the banks" and say boy/girl at the end of all sentences and regularly complain about what a kip Dublin is you're a fully integrated and accepted part of the Cork community in everyway.

I'm hearing that it's a much less racist city than most too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭PaulinCork

I hope its getting less racist, despite the best efforts of Aine Ni #4*%#ing
    Connaill and Neil Prenderville.
    The levels of racism against the Travellers is frightening though

but yeah Cork is amazingly chilled out and friendly. Even the gay scene here is friendly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I can't move. Emmigrating would be cool, I'd love to live in Iceland but I can't leave Ireland now. Not until we get equality. Funny reason to not leave this country but I feel I have some weird patriotic duty to fight for equal rights to make this country better. When that comes around then maybe I'd leave.

I wouldn't leave Ireland, my attitude is there's no way I'd leave a few bigots ruin my experience and love of this country. Maybe I'm biased because I've never really encountered systematic bigotry, just the odd ignoramus here and there. (Hi Padser) I'd argue that you are going to be biased due to the negative experiences you'd have as I am biased for the positive experiences I'v had. Is leaving Ireland to the bigots not giving up on your country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Yes it is

Quite simply because the cost of living is too high, the weather is crap, and then you have our own special homegrown breed of skanger which is the worst kind of human going.

I love being Irish, but I no longer have much love of the country itself, specifically Dublin. Strumpet city. Its lovely at times, but its too hard to survive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

and then you have our own special homegrown breed of skanger which is the worst kind of human going.

Yes, who doesn't hate them. But they're not unique to Ireland.

Advertisement