Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with VW Passat

Options
  • 13-05-2005 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a 00 VW Passat with about 78k on it, felt fine after a test drive, had a service on the 78k mark and bargained the salesgeezer down to a decent price so bought it.

However after only 3 weeks, it tends to die when I'm doing one of the following things:

1) Slowing down coming in to a junction/roundabout and I have the clutch down (coasting)
    2) Reversing/1st gear against a gradient
    3) When the wheel is locked and I'm gettin round a tight space

It always occurs when I'm givin it lit or no gas, I know the answer for the time being is give it some welly!

But I have a 6 months parts warranty on the car and if there's something up with it I want to use the warranty to solve.

Anyone any ideas, I can drive one but haven't a clue about what goes under the bonnet when I am drivin!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'll assume this is petrol
    It could be one or more of a few things.

on item
    1. Try seperate if the clutch is needed at all, just slip it out of gear sans clutch and then let the accelerator down, while continuing to coast... and see what happens.
    I do not think the clutch is involves dierctly, so slipping it out of gear it would also stall.
    (for safety give yourself plenty room to stop or restart the engine, etc.)

2; No idea onthat one, other than the engine is running slow.

3; does this have power steering and if os, does it cut out even if you were not moving, but simply turning the wheels on a hard surface.

does this vehicle have a cable throttle or fly by wire? (motor driven throttle).
    does it have EGR?

Few items which I have seen here previously.

gunk in the throttle body, simply remove the air pipe and clean the Throttle Body (TB) with a TB cleaner, Carb cleaner, Acetone, etc and a toothbrush.

Make sure you have no detached, cracked or broken air intake and/or vacuum hoses that are leaking in excess air at idle.
    make sure your brake Vac booset is not leaking in excess air.

Other item I have seen here is the TB stepper motor gets a brain squeez, forgets whwere idle and open are and has to be re-calibrated/re-aligned electronically.

Pwr Steering. many cars have an Idle-up pressure sensor, if that fails, the turnging load will simply stop the engine.

EGR, if the car has one, and it is sticking open at idle will swamp the engine with exhaust and stall it.
    and while you are on the job, how many miles on the O2 sensor?.

Advertisement