Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invited Guest Posters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

RuggieBear wrote:
    i reckon it will be a cold day in hell before he comes on here to be abused :D

Here its getting cold down there at the mo. so fingers crossed:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah, i'm feeling like a tool now for opening my ill informed gob....think i'll run over to the corner and don my carefully crafted dunces cap :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Apart from the live interview sort of thing, I have seen interview type threads on other forums.

They often take the shape of an expert in a particular area, posting some background information about themselves. Say DeVore, cos I know that history.... Met Vexorg at a quake drinks session back in the days before broadband, set up a company, met regi who joined us and tech guru, started hosting the quake forums on our servers for cloud worrier :), did other stuff and eventually boards became what it is today. blah blah blah ..... other interesting facts about his favourite jocks and tie combination

So this is first post on the thread. In seperate forum, boardsters post their questions, a mod weeds out the crapolla and moves the best questons to the thread which are answered by the original poster. More posts, more answer, some discussion take place over a few days - others over a few weeks depending on the Guests time.

Its could be a great resource, but how many Guests would have the patience to answer and type detailed responses...

The admins currenly would not have the time to go out and canvass for guests - anyone out there know some suitable guests who would like to give it a shot? Do we have any candidates who are already boardsters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Vexorg wrote:
    Its could be a great resource, but how many Guests would have the patience to answer and type detailed responses...
    None. People become successful by not making unlimited time commitments like this. That's why you would ask them to answer questions in a fixed period of time like an hour and allow them to dictate their answers to someone who would type for them. If you can't get people to ask the questions live during that hour then gather the questions beforehand.
    The admins currenly would not have the time to go out and canvass for guests
    You should be able to find a mod who is willing to invite the guests and interview them - the lure of celebrity and all that. You would have to pay their taxi fares - same as a radio station does for their panel guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I was simply quoting my personal experience of Guest interviews on a bulletin board. The interactive nature of a board is much slower than radio or even irc. So a one hour interview would someone via a forum would not be very valuable as it would not be interactive other than question gathering and a transcription of the response, it may as well be a magazine or newpaper interview, the interest comes from questions arising from the guests answers.

I do not have any experience of such a short time span interview other than on irc and could not see that sort of thing working on a bulletin board.

Right now Boards does not have the funds to pay for taxis for anyone :), These celebrities will have to wait it seems....

V.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

fair enuffski

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Vexorg wrote:
    I was simply quoting my personal experience of Guest interviews on a bulletin board. The interactive nature of a board is much slower than radio or even irc. So a one hour interview would someone via a forum would not be very valuable as it would not be interactive other than question gathering and a transcription of the response, it may as well be a magazine or newpaper interview, the interest comes from questions arising from the guests answers.

I do not have any experience of such a short time span interview other than on irc and could not see that sort of thing working on a bulletin board.

Right now Boards does not have the funds to pay for taxis for anyone :), These celebrities will have to wait it seems....

V.

well lets just say the radio route is taken, the questions could be built up on a forum before hand as mentioned, and then listeners could continue to post questions as the interview goes on. That way the interviewer can go with the flow (and with any skill jump on interesting comments) and at the same time bring up fresh points made by members... might be hard to organise but I'm sure a person could get the hang of listening to answers while quick-scanning new threads... or it could be a two person job.
    I don't see a thread based interview working well at all, as it would have to be a long process to have any real merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The one I mentioned started with a more traditional journalist-and-interviewee interview, which (in theory) means that it starts with someone who can bring interesting points out of the interviewee and adapt to unexpected replies well (e.g. not the many bad interviewers who will keep to the script, anyone seen the Late Late during the last few series?) and then the thread was a thread on that interview with the interviewee taking part.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the Boards Radio idea died because of IMRO's very high costs. It also was mooted when our bandwidth WASNT measured in the terrabytes. Seriously. Right now we dont want to commit our precious BW resources to another project. We've enough of my half assed ideas floating around here unfinished :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Totally OT, but what is the average monthly bandwidth usage of boards? It must be very, very high now! I know I personally put through at least gig of traffic towards it last month (ISA proxy reports)!
    DeVore wrote:
    the Boards Radio idea died because of IMRO's very high costs. It also was mooted when our bandwidth WASNT measured in the terrabytes. Seriously. Right now we dont want to commit our precious BW resources to another project. We've enough of my half assed ideas floating around here unfinished :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Have a look at /.'s interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Kudos are winging their way to you right now

Kudos isn't the plural of Kudo you know...what do they teach in schools these days? Kudos (Kew-doss) from the greek. Not Kudos (Koo-Does) from american teenie TV shows. :rolleyes:

Advertisement