Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scientific philosophy

• 13-05-2005 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

I am currently in philosophy class in college and we are disccusing philopshers such as Pooper and Kuhn. I would like to know were I could get some definite definitions of their theories as I seem to contradictions about all their theories.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Well, and correct me if i'm wrong people, but I think Popper said that a scientific fact could be accepted if its possible to test it. Also he said that a scientific theory could not be taken as fact unless it was falsifiable. i.e you have to accept that the theory could be proved wrong as it is impossible to test it under every possible condition.

I'm not too sure about Kuhn. Could anybody help on that one?

Lakato's is another big name in this area. He expanded on Popper's theories. Popper said once a theory is proved wrong, that's it. The theory is wrong. However, Lakatos said that modern science is based on theories being proved wrong, and subsequently refined.

Anyway, my knowledge is pretty limited on this subject. Anybody like to jump in?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Was Kuhn's theory naive falsification?

Or was that Lakatos?

Ahh I'm confused!!!

Any experts want to jump in to save me any further embarisment!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's Lakatos ('Lackatosh').

I never studied philosophy of science so I know nothing about Popper except for the basics of his theory of falsification, which was some kind of inversion of Hegelian 'determinitive negation'.

Kuhn's Theory of Scientific Revolutions presented a radically different theory of scientific progress in which changes came about through decisive ruptures in thinking rather than the gradual transformation of ideas via the positivist notion of the constant acccumulation of more and more knowledge. In this sense his idea was similar to Foucault's paradigm theory.

But eh, here ya go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement