Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd Hand car on a budget of €4000?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says I'm buying a car. Have a budget of €4000, maybe a few hundred more if the right car comes up. Was hoping to buy damo605's Safrane but hes decided to keep it. So I'm after suggestions please. I'm looking for a saloon or large hatchback (laguna, safrane, corolla type not small like a clio or fiesta). I'd appreciate any help, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Would you consider a Peugeot 605? I think they are one of the most underrated cars ever.... I put up about 50k miles on a 1993 one I got for nothing and it never gave me an ounce of trouble - drank oil like it was going out of fashion but always did 40 MPG (mostly fairly hard mixed driving :rolleyes: ) which for a 2.0 petrol in a very big body that's damn good.
    I still have that car (No, it's not for sale - too many memories) and it seems like it would go on forever!
    They are really comfortable, economical, powerful, reliable and very very cheap these days - definitely worth test driving one.
    Drove across the uk and down through France to the Med 2 or 3 years back in the 605 and after hours on the autoroute at 100mph you'd park up as refreshed as when you started.
    Automatic variants are supposed to be much better than the manuals as I don't think they were ever really meant to be right-hand-drive so the clutch cable especially isn't the best design by far.
    Definitely worth a look - great car....
    Fat Frogs all the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you were looking at a Safrane then may I suggest one of these:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=234584

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=233800

With cash in your hand you will probably get one of these within your budget. I had a 1994 model of these a good couple of years ago and in all the cars I have had it was the best. I put 100k on it and not once did it let me down, quite lively aswell for 2.0. They go forever and much more reliable than your average Safrane or Laguna of that age. They are available from 1996 onwards in 1.8 if tax and insurance is a problem.

Much better suggestion by Bazz26 - I know some guys in the trade and they swear by Accords, apparently bulletproof reliability!
    Thinking back my recommendation of a Pug 605 would probably be more appropriate for someone looking for a car under a grand or two :o
    Have heard Accords go quiet cheap up the north so you may be able to get an even fresher one from up there for your 4k ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

early - mid 90's SAAB 9000 Hatch

BTW I went looking for a large hatch (I got the Primera) and those Accords are actually saloons with a really narrow boot entrance, not hatches.

The Accords BTW can look mega cool with nice rims and very tasteful mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

damo605 wrote:
    Would you consider a Peugeot 605? I think they are one of the most underrated cars ever.... I put up about 50k miles on a 1993 one I got for nothing and it never gave me an ounce of trouble - drank oil like it was going out of fashion but always did 40 MPG (mostly fairly hard mixed driving :rolleyes: ) which for a 2.0 petrol in a very big body that's damn good.
    I still have that car (No, it's not for sale - too many memories) and it seems like it would go on forever!
    They are really comfortable, economical, powerful, reliable and very very cheap these days - definitely worth test driving one.
    Drove across the uk and down through France to the Med 2 or 3 years back in the 605 and after hours on the autoroute at 100mph you'd park up as refreshed as when you started.
    Automatic variants are supposed to be much better than the manuals as I don't think they were ever really meant to be right-hand-drive so the clutch cable especially isn't the best design by far.
    Definitely worth a look - great car....
    Fat Frogs all the way :D

Nice collection of French barges you have there :D All you need now is an XM to complete the set!

Just out of interest, which has better ride comfort - the 605 or Safrane?

• Advertisement

How about this - bought and vrt'd for about €3,100
    Accord

BrianD3 wrote:
    Nice collection of French barges you have there :D All you need now is an XM to complete the set!

Just out of interest, which has better ride comfort - the 605 or Safrane?

Thought about an XM but me Fiancee would kill me if I got another car :(
    Definitely the Safrane has better ride comfort but my 605 has nearly twice the miles on it (and a much harder life) at this stage so maybe not a fair comparison, I do think the 605 handles better though?
    To compare it's kinda like as if the 605 is a sports saloon where the safrane is a luxury saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah was looking at the accord, really nice. drove my dads 92 civic saloon a few years back, great car really nice to drive. I found it a lot more modern in styling and extras to a similar year european car. Always liked Hondas after he got that car. There was a 98 156 on autotrader aswell, I'm an alfa fan too.

Theres a bit of a price difference in the 2 accords above, the higher mileage one is a good bit dearer, the other one could be in ****? or is the lower ced one about right?

The grey one with the high mileage is a 2.2 VTEC model which is fully loaded with leather, cruise control, climate control, etc. Definately wouldn't pay near the asking price for that one though.

The white one that Damo605 showed is very nice even though I personnelly don't like white. Might be a better option for you if travelling to the North is not a problem for you. Uk cars tend to be of higher spec than here so it could be better value. And yes the boot entrance is a bit narrow but I still found it very useful. I also got good mpg considering it was a 2.0.

I would avoid the diesel though if you find one, they were never offically sold here so any you see are UK imports. The diesel engine is the L-series engine made by Rover as the Rover 600 shared alot of parts with the Accord at that time.

Was looking at a few Accords and have kinda settled on getting one. Just trying to choos eone now. ANy opinions on this one would be appreciated: http://www.deerparkmotors.com/details.php?v_id=1244

just realised that its the first one bazz posted, Opions still needed thugh, cheers. What do people reckon is the most I should pay for it,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Check out the insurance. Hondas are not insurance friendly. Parts can be expensive too. Other than that, they are very reliable and nice to drive.

Yeah got a few qoutes. Looks like ill be paing around €2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Stekelly wrote:
    Yeah got a few qoutes. Looks like ill be paing around €2k

Ouch. I'm paying €320 on a 1 litre.

Decided to go for a 94 a have a bit of "play money" so went for this http://search.autotrader.ie/cgi-bin/search?locale=atie.CARS.1&country=IE&orderby=neg_price&currency=EUR&make_id_EQI=Honda&model_EQS=Accord&specified_price_GT=0&specified_price_LT=3000&county_list=3_4_5_6_7_10_11_12_13_14_15_16_18_19_20_21_22_23_24_25_26_28_29_30_31_32&x=42&y=7

Insurance is going to be a bit of an issue, my last insurance expired 2 and a half years ago so not sure if my two years ncb is still valid. Dont fancy paying €4k insurance.

Was trying to google it but cant find any info, anyone do better than me. the only model varient I can find on it is that its an "i"

There were a few models in the 1993 - 1998 Accord range back then.

2.0i - 125 bhp, black bumpers, electric mirors, windows and sunroof.
    2.0i LS - same as 2.0i plus colour coded bumpers, electric heated mirrors, ABS, 15" wheels, remote central locking, driver's air bag and more powerful engine. (I had a 1994 one of these in silver).
    2.0i/2.3 ES - same as LS plus cruise control, cd player, air con, leather electric seats, alloys, rear boot spoiler.

1996 - 1998 Accord (facelift)
    1.8i LS - 120 bhp, ABS, twin air bags.
    2.0i LS - same spec as 1.8i
    2.2 VTEC - leather, cruise control, climate control, traction control, alloys and VTEC engine.

I'm taking off my anerak now. :)

cheers, GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK :D

Seems as though its the first one. NCT was only done last week so for €1650 if i get th eenght of the nct out of it ill be happy, but im sure ill get a lot more, felt bomb proof. The mileage was actually 82k when i checked it, says 90k on th ead.

All in all I'm a happy camper.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement