Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amocom Router

• 13-05-2005 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hey, folks

got amocom a few days ago in my house in cork.

Recently did a port test as i was finding it difficult to access certain things and realised that a lot of my ports were being blocked at the router!

I have the satalite looking receiver/router (if that makes any sense) and was wondering if any1 knows the make or model or how i can access the settings to open, close, or monitor ports.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Well, first of all, it most likely is not the router but Amocom themselves that block the ports, in which case there is SFA you can do about it, other than trying to re-route traffic through other ports etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

what are they blocking out of curiosity?

If its trojan horse-type ports then good for them, however if they are blocking common 'sharing' ports then damn them lol. Would be really good if companies posted what ports they block cause theorectically it can limit the usefullness of your line, depending on what they block :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

ya i agree,

in this case is was a bog standard router that was inbuilt into the radio reciever for bog standard users that only wanted to surf....it could be turned on or off basically (by amocom) but not configured by me....

the usual ports like surfing and 80 and all were ok, but p2p, ftp, mail was inaccessable. as were ur usual gaming ports.

They were actually really good bout it and were available 24/7 over the weekend!! we worked out that it was in my best interests to buy a new router, and they helped me set it up.

Good crowd if you ask me, my only quam (small at that) is if they told me bout that in advance i woulda had my router in place in advance!

wow, seems like a lot of people could get stuck thinking it couldnt be changed, but i do understand why it is done, since they are willing to remove those restrictions etc.

For a vast number of users, who really only require bog standard browsing, it has immense security benefits to the network, considering the lack of security knowledge many 'bog standard' users have, and so if you do actually require the use of those ports, then it is arranged.

And available 24/7 over the weekend, sounds like a good support crowd.
    People said previously that they employed unusual routing on their netwrok, and would therefore have inflated ping times, can you test out your pings to jolt.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

ping.jpg

Ping is actually sweet for europe and nice too for us servers..

I am on the 512k down 256K up.

avg 50ish in source.

Advertisement