Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

125 Recommendations

Options
  • 13-05-2005 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a 125cc motorbike in the summer and am open to suggestions! I'm looking for something that is reliable, group 2 insurance and has a good build quality.

I have my eye on a NSR restricted model or a Dragstar. Not sure how sturdy or reliable the NSR would be though. Has anyone had any experience with one?

I also have a question about a ncb on a motorbike, I've had a 50cc scooter for 2 years now and have 2 years ncb, can I use this with a 125 or a 250 should I move up in a few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

If I was you Id go for a 125 for at least another year and then move straight up into 400cc afterwards. 3/4 years ncb will really lower your insurance on a 400c, maybe a nice Honda VFR or CBR.
    As for 125cc bikes Id suggest a Honda Varadero 125 (hmm seems im plugging the hondas here but hey,they are extremely good built quality), its a really good bike to move from mopeds to geared bikes with but still with a decent bit of speed (about 70mph top whack). Very easy to handle and it takes corners like a dream, ive even got the pegs down on my mates one. Its a high up traily stlye but low ride height for a 125. Insurance is group 2 so it shouldnt be too much with your 2 year ncb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

Well if you're looking at a 125 cruiser it's between a dragstar and an intruder, I've got up to 75 on my dragstar and a friend has got up to 80 on his intruder, if you're planning to move on to a 400 sportsbike in a few years then you should go for a restricted NSR 125, it'll corner better than a dragstar and as GaRtH_V said, the good honda build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I don't believe the NSR is a group 2. My first bike was a 125cc Suzuki Marauder. I changed it after 2 months. Didn't suit the commute I had then and is a longer bike than say the Suzuki GN125. Also a bit heaver with same power and hence worse acceleration. I still like the look of the cruiser bikes, but it wasn't terribly practical for a daily commute. I can't remember now if there was underseat storage for a lock. I ended up buying a tailpack. Hard luggage looks out of place on a cruiser. Think of bags with leather tassles... Not to my taste.

Your no claims discount should carry from moped to motorbike. Car insurance doesn't, but if you get any grief get the insurer to explain why not. You are entitled to a written explanation, if it comes to that. But that won't get you on the road.

You don't say what licence you have. 50cc moped could have been ridden on a B car licence. Since you've probably done the theory test, you can just apply for provisional. I wouldn't waste my time on the A1(<125cc). Bear in mind that most 125 models have physically less than 125cc capacity so just be sure of that for the test. If you turn up on a 124cc, they can't issue you a full A licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

I thought the nsr 125 restricted was a group 2 but I could be wrong, the marauder and gn125 are both single cylinder with less kick than the v-twins but you could probably pick one up a bit cheaper, as far as under seat storage goes, the intruder 125 has loads of room under the seat for a lock ( I think it went at least up to my elbow when I reached in )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Think first... Do you want 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
    If you are a machine enthusiast who likes changing pistons etc. yourself then 2 stroke is your friend (and more powerful too)
    However, if you just want to start your bike in the morning to get you from A to B, 4 stroke is your best bet.

The NSR 125's are great bikes, and fast for their CC (27 BHP standard I believe... remove the air restricter and the exhaust n your flyin!) BUT they are VERY light and dangerous.

The 125R *is* group 2, the 125RR is Group 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

there are factory restictors in the engine of the restricted nsr not the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

the factory restrictors in the nsr
    are a sleeve in the exhaust and a washer in the carb
    carb takes 5 mins to fix
    exhaust needs a drill and about 20
    nsr all the way
    and they arent unreliable at all really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

dceire wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a 125cc motorbike in the summer and am open to suggestions! I'm looking for something that is reliable, group 2 insurance and has a good build quality.

I have my eye on a NSR restricted model or a Dragstar. Not sure how sturdy or reliable the NSR would be though. Has anyone had any experience with one?

I also have a question about a ncb on a motorbike, I've had a 50cc scooter for 2 years now and have 2 years ncb, can I use this with a 125 or a 250 should I move up in a few years?
    NSR and Dragstar are two totally different styles of bike.
    What do you want to use the bike for?
    If it's hooning around then the NSR; if it's posing at the shops - then the Dragstar. If it's a practical commuter then I'd be inclinded more towards a Suzuki GN125 - plenty of couriers use them - that says it all in terms of reliability.

Also - last I knew a bike has to be >150cc for the A test.

Consider doing some training if you want cheaper insurance - the new Axa scheme seems pretty good - up to 63% reduction!

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

batman_oh wrote:
    and they arent unreliable at all really

As long as you keep it out of the redline! In fairness I never had a spot of bother from my NSR once you take care of it. I only seized the piston once, and it was my fault... keeping in the high rev range for too long along a nice big straight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

causal wrote:
    NSR and Dragstar are two totally different styles of bike.
    What do you want to use the bike for?
    If it's hooning around then the NSR; if it's posing at the shops - then the Dragstar.
    I like both of them the NSR has my desired ride position as I'm looking to move up onto the CBR 250 etc. in a few years but I love the look of the Dragstar and tought the NRS looked a bit flimsy
    causal wrote:
    If it's a practical commuter then I'd be inclinded more towards a Suzuki GN125 - plenty of couriers use them - that says it all i

Not too keen on there looks though, I'm looking for something to do me for the next two/three years and want I to look good as for top speeds, I dont realy care too much once its reasonable.
    causal wrote:
    Consider doing some training if you want cheaper insurance - the new Axa scheme seems pretty good - up to 63% reduction!
    I was going to do training anyway so I'll deffinately look into this.

• Advertisement

GaRtH_V wrote:
    As for 125cc bikes Id suggest a Honda Varadero 125
    I was looking at it and it seems to be a good solid bike, looks good too but I think its out of my price range I'm looking to spend around the €1500 mark but could stretch to €2000 at max.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You should be able to get your hands on an '01, maybe '02 Varadero for around that price. They're a solid bike, so even if the owner was less than careful, it shouldn't give you too many problems.

I' d strongly advise a 4-stroke v-twin whichever way you go.

seamus wrote:
    You should be able to get your hands on an '01, maybe '02 Varadero for around that price. They're a solid bike, so even if the owner was less than careful, it shouldn't give you too many problems.

I' d strongly advise a 4-stroke v-twin whichever way you go.
    I'll keep my eyes pealed, I'm not in any rush my scooter insurance runs until the end of August so I dont really need anything until then.

I know you said you want Group2 and that the bike is to do you for the next 2-3 years. Just to point out that a lot of people who get 125s soon want 250s* as the 125s lack power and top speed. I don't mean power & speed for hooning around - I mean in normal practical use on roads with 80-120kmh limits you can have cars up your keester coz you're screwing the little engine for all it's worth. I found the 250 Virago had fine acceleration to about (60mph) 95kmh and topped out at about (85mph) 135kph but on an inclined motorway with a head wind that sucks; it also sucks for travelling more than 50 miles.

causal

*it doesn't end at 250; suddenly it's 500, 600, 1litre :D

causal wrote:

125, 400 and since last Friday, 1300. Luverly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

a_ominous wrote:
    Fncking insurance :(

a_ominous wrote:
    Hmm, Busa/FJR/etc?

FJR. Had to run out to Blackrock this afternoon, so took the scenic route home over the Gap, just to add another 50 miles or so on the clock. Over-cooked two corners on the route, one on a left hander, just touching the centre line, but no oncoming traffic and a right-hander at Poulaphouca, so just touching the yellow line. Rolled off enough power and light tap of the rear brake sorted it out. I'm used to a bit more engine braking and about 20% of the power.
    I went out west on Saturday past Enfield just to take a break from the books and it just cruises along 3.5K RPM at 60-70mph! It's amazingly well behaved at low revs tipping around a car park but just twist the throttle a teensy weensy bit and you can make people jump. Ahhhhh yes!

If I thought of getting a Hayabusa, SWMBO would kill me before I even got to turn the ignition ;) There's no pillion, hence FJR. The FJR is enough for a 3 year novice...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Id recommened a Varadero also. i picked up a 01 for €1500 and have never had a problem with it. Usually cruises at 100 km/h, top speed bout 130 km/h. It redlines at bout 120 km / h though. They look the biz aswell!!

causal wrote:
    I know you said you want Group2 and that the bike is to do you for the next 2-3 years. Just to point out that a lot of people who get 125s soon want 250s* as the 125s lack power and top speed. I found the 250 Virago
    While I'd love to be able to do this there isn't a hope in hell of me being able to afford the insurance on one. These are the quotes I got from Hibernian:
    Virago 250 €4700 :mad:
    Virago 125 €2100
    causal wrote:
    Well thats the plan anyway :D

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    BUT they are VERY light and dangerous.
    What do you mean by this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dceire wrote:
    What do you mean by this :confused:

I think he means that if you're in a crash, you're basicaly f*cked. NSRs are very lightweight and offer very little protection. I also wouldn't even want to imagine what crosswinds are like going 100 mph on a bike that weighs approximately the same as a moped!!! :eek:

a_ominous wrote:
    If I thought of getting a Hayabusa, SWMBO would kill me before I even got to turn the ignition ;) There's no pillion, hence FJR. The FJR is enough for a 3 year novice...
    Damned right it is :) FJR is a nice looking bike, absolute mile muncher :cool:
    btw there are pillion pegs on the Busa, presumably there's an attachment for a seat cover in place of the seat cowl.
    Not being a smart ass but if you haven't done so already I heartily recommend some advanced riding lesssons with a qualified instructor - coz afterwards those trips over the Gap will be the best ever :)
    Hello Summertime :D

causal

causal wrote:
    Not being a smart ass but if you haven't done so already I heartily recommend some advanced riding lesssons with a qualified instructor - coz afterwards those trips over the Gap will be the best ever :)
    Appreciate the comment. I've always recommended training to anyone starting on a bike. I took my first lesson after 2 months riding and it helped immensely. I did the RoSPA test about 18 months ago and got bronze. I'd been riding 18 months at that stage. I took a day long lesson last year and did improve my cornering skills which is not something I get to do in Dublin traffic :rolleyes: One reason for getting the FJR was to have something with enough guts to do the RoSPA again. The first instructor had suggested that I could do some instruction myself. Last bike was 33BHP and just couldn't do it. It was a heavy bike. Was in Austria last summer and the roads were fantastic even up in the mountains where they get broken up each winter due to freezing. Much better than the Gap was yesterday. Wasn't that bad last year. I need to get a few miles up on the FJR before I go for any more lessons and apply for the RoSPA again.

dceire wrote:
    While I'd love to be able to do this there isn't a hope in hell of me being able to afford the insurance on one. These are the quotes I got from Hibernian:
    Virago 250 €4700
    Virago 125 €2100

They're mad quotes. TPO or FC? My first 2 years were with Hibernian, but they've been putting up their prices consistently. I believe they're not interested in the bike insurance market. Lots of scooters insured with them, and lots of people on provisionals carrying pillion passengers which legally they're not allowed to do. This has led to increased payouts, yada yada yada. I moved to Carole Nash and am prepared to move to AXA if the price is right. CN probably won't quote you as you've no previous and are under, is it 23 now?

My advice would be to try Aon/AXA as Causal said. They entered the bike insurance market last year and have recently introduced discounts for people who have received training from recognised instructors (like those on the FAQ). MAG mentioned this at a recent monthly meeting, but there's no info on MAG site. Ring up AXA and ask. There are major discounts even for a provisional rider. If you meet the standard, AXA will effectively insure you as a full licence holder even if you have a provisional, which is about a 30-35% loading. So you don't have to wait 13 months (or whatever) for a driving test. AXA will also recognise the RoSPA gradings and give discounts accordingly.
    The lessons cost about 25-35 euro per hour. say 6-8 hours cost about 200 yoyos. 35% of 4700 = 1600 approx. Makes sense, no?

a_ominous wrote:
    They're mad quotes. TPO or FC?
    Those quotes are TP only :eek: I'm insured with aon now on my scooter and it would probably them I'd be geting insured with on the 125.
    a_ominous wrote:
    My advice would be to try Aon/AXA as Causal said. They entered the bike insurance market last year and have recently introduced discounts for people who have received training from recognised instructors (like those on the FAQ). MAG mentioned this at a recent monthly meeting, but there's no info on MAG site. Ring up AXA and ask. There are major discounts even for a provisional rider. If you meet the standard, AXA will effectively insure you as a full licence holder even if you have a provisional, which is about a 30-35% loading. So you don't have to wait 13 months (or whatever) for a driving test. AXA will also recognise the RoSPA gradings and give discounts accordingly.
    The lessons cost about 25-35 euro per hour. say 6-8 hours cost about 200 yoyos. 35% of 4700 = 1600 approx. Makes sense, no?
    I'll definitely look into this sounds almost too good to me true cheers for the tip

Advertisement