Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Java Problem

• 13-05-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi, Sorry if this question's been asked before I did a search but couldnt find anything.

My problem is anytime i try to open anything on my pc using javascript it wont open.

Im using windows xp and i've been told that there is a conflict between the windows java and another java, is this correct?

Can anyone help me solve this problem, I'd be forever grateful. :)

(Sorry, Ive posted in the wrong section, can the mods move it to the revelent thread thanks) :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erh no it couldn't be a conflict between the 'Windows Java' and 'Sun Java' because Windows XP doesn't ship with a version of Java, due to legality issues. Have you tried updating the Java runtimes to the latest version from www.java.com ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

Yeah, I tried it before and it told me that i had the latest version.

I've tried it again and it gives me the following (maybe it might be clear)

Vendor: Sun microsystems Inc.

Version: 1.5.0_01

Operating System: Windows XP

Os Version: 5.1

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

FIRE wrote:
    My problem is anytime i try to open anything on my pc using javascript it wont open.

Im using windows xp and i've been told that there is a conflict between the windows java and another java, is this correct?

Javascript is not the same as Java. Javascript is not even related to Java. What are you trying to do?

rsynnott wrote:
    Javascript is not the same as Java. Javascript is not even related to Java. What are you trying to do?

:eek: Right well then, we may be able to start to solve it now.

http://www.u.tv/utvipxlx/index.asp?loc=ie

In particular I cant use the MY ACCOUNT button as it says
    javascript:runwin(); when I put mouse over it. The VERY!!! odd occasion it has run, but the majority of times it just whites out the screen and other IE pages i have open freeze aswell. Then about 1-2 minnutes later it unfreezes and I can use the other IE pages but the white screen reverts back, but with no javascript open.

Im NOT a whizz on the PC, I know a very little amount, but I didnt know the 2 werent related, I've asked guys in work who know stuff and they tell me about java...... :( And i should have been asking about javascript.

If you can sort this for me rsynnott I'll buy a pint.gif

Any ideas now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

FIRE wrote:
    :eek: Right well then, we may be able to start to solve it now.

http://www.u.tv/utvipxlx/index.asp?loc=ie

In particular I cant use the MY ACCOUNT button as it says
    javascript:runwin(); when I put mouse over it. The VERY!!! odd occasion it has run, but the majority of times it just whites out the screen and other IE pages i have open freeze aswell. Then about 1-2 minnutes later it unfreezes and I can use the other IE pages but the white screen reverts back, but with no javascript open.

Try FireFox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Three things:

Ensure that your pop-up blocker (if you have IE properly upgraded) is set to allow popups from u.tv. This is unlikely to be the problem if it worked before, but you should still check.

Empty your temporary internet files. This is one of the biggest causes of javascript problems - cached pages. Go to tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Delete Files... and make sure you tick "Delete all offline content".

Scan for spyware. This can also give problem with javascript.

Im currently downloading Firefox, so I'll let you know how I get on.
    :D

EDIT:

:D

Everything working on Firefox.

Many thanks to all.

Advertisement