Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to buy an arcade Game?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of how to go about buying an arcade game? Yea, the actual game, and any idea of the cost for such a contraption?

I was addicted to Sega Rally 2 back in the day and since my college got the game in this year ive caught the bug again, but im getting kinda tired of spending anywhere between €15 and €50 a week on the damn thing and i reckon i could have bought one at this stage with all the money ive spent on it, so anyone any clues of where to go looking to buy one? a google didn't turn up much on arcade games providers in ireland, so i'm turning to the knowledgeable bunch of gamers here for help, any ideas appreciated,
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

The are often auctioned off on ebay, but depending one the machine in question they vary. Plus they are not exactly portable. They are hard to come by. I believe talking to the makers of the game may help track a new source down, if they still make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

I thought about ebay alright but the problem is as you say there not very portable, if i found one in Ireland i'd be able to get a van and pick it up no problem, its from 1998 so i doubt very much that they are still being made. i was hoping there would be some just lying in a warehouse somewhere just waiting to be driven, its still a very popular game and alot of arcades still have it but im sure theres some just sitting somewhere not being used at all....which annoys me...damn all this talk of sega rally, i feel like going for a few games now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Just call up a few places that have them and say that you are intereted in purchasing one. That said they cost about 2000 stg to buy new, and thats for a basic one.

yea, looks like ill have to make few phone calls, dont think it would be anywhere near 2000 for one though, its 7 years old at this stage, im hoping somewhere along the lines of a few hundred..am i miles off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

you could buy the board for the cabinet, then acquire the actual game by other means, since you would then own the game in one form... if you get what i'm saying

• Advertisement

i think so...but that wouldnt be possible with this game as it doesnt use a generic cabinet has its own dedicated game complete with bucket seats, steering wheel and gear stick etc, see pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st off email all arcades in Dublin stating interest in buying one, they willl sell you an old broken one (dont worry about it being broken)

Then in Golden Pages is a few places that sell them, they not cheap.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Have you considered emulation?

http://www.mame.net/

Don't know much about emulation myself but you can always check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

psst Mike if you buy a cabinet stick a decent pc in it with Mame on it, ultimate arcade machine.

But for Sega Rally type games you would want the sterring wheel (can do both but bit of handiwork needed).

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And the fact that the Naomi board that sega rally 2 board is far from being emulated is another problem. Hell even the model 2 board that Sega Rally 1 used isn't emulated yet.

Have you thought of getting a Dreamcast with a steering wheel. Sega Rally 2 is very faithfully recreated on the machine and DC's and Sega Rally 2 are quite cheap to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i've often thought about the possibilities of getting an arcade machine too.. it's always been a bit of a dream though... i'd love to have a street fighter 2 machine or a pacman machine for the front room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Almotech, an outfit in Tuam, supply arcade machines to places around Ireland. They should be able to help you out.

Alright, thanks for the help everyone, ill start making a few phone calls, have to get through these exams first though, ill let yous know how i get on..

Advertisement