Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hackers?

• 13-05-2005 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I've just been threatend on another forum. Is it possible to get someones I.P. address and hack their machine across a forum? I've just been threatened.
    The guy says he's using a modified version of windows remote assistance and is accessing the forum through another members computer. Is this likely to be bs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

This post has been deleted.
    The story he gave was that he got a password, url, and user name through a homemade spyware package which one of the members downloaded. He was then logged on under his user name posting offensive stuff. I said he was fairly stupid if he was directly accessing the forum, He claimed he was accessing the forum through a modified version of Windows remote assistance. I was challenging everything he said. Then he called me a British ***ker despite the fact there was a huge Ireland flag in my sig. I pointed this out to him and he said:
    DO NOT TEMP MY PATIENCE, THIS WEB SITE LOGS ALL IP ADDRESS'S,
    I WILL FIND AND DESTROY YOUR COM.
    He has no access to any of the admin rights throught the user account he claims he's hacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

"he claims he's hacked."

Probably a brat that managed to guess a password of a mod. And the british thing is an offence to all, specifically if the little Tw** decided to bring it down to something thats past history. Im british living in ireland and find that offensive. Just put it down to little moron with fewer brain cells than the common gnat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The solution is simple.

Bait him into hacking 127.0.0.1

That story sounds like total bull, by the way...

The solution is simple.

That story sounds like total bull, by the way...
    Yeah I was thinking that. Whats that i.p.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It loops back to your own computer.

It loops back to your own computer.
    cool cool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Also, if you're on broadband, just turn off and on your modem. You'll get a brand spanking new IP address. If you're on dial-up just disconnect and reconnect, new IP again.

Also, if you're on broadband, just turn off and on your modem. You'll get a brand spanking new IP address. If you're on dial-up just disconnect and reconnect, new IP again.
    I've already taken that precaution. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

what forum was that on? I'd say its just some kid. AFAIK mods dont know peoples Ip addys. It is almost inconcievable that Someone could have hacked an admin's account. And If he/she did, they'd have a lot of better things to be doing than threatening you.
    Its just some scriptkiddie who thinks he's a "l33t hax00r"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If he could crack you he would have done so already. The very fact that he's being such a loudmouth twat indicates that he can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

As Talliesin said, the loudmouth attitude on a webforum means your gibson probably hasn't been hax0red this time.

If on the other hand strange things started happening on your machine; popup messages started popping up or files appear on your desktop or your machine insults you then reboots, you probably have been backdoored by the kid and it's time to backup your files and reinstall windows.

Just report him to the admins on this other board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Not all BB Provider Offer Dynamic IP Address, I know IBB give out static IP Address, So Better to be safe and check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    AFAIK mods dont know peoples Ip addys.

They do. I've modded on one forum and I could click on any user and see a list of his past IP's. TBH it doesn't sound like anything will come of this. But to be safe make sure you have a good firewall running and anti virus software up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

That and inform the admins about it. or report the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

just have your firewall up and AV up to date..
    Don't open anything that you are sure it's safe..

I know one trojan that allow you to control other's pc..
    Working behind the scene and the user won't even know it..
    You can do one of the matrix trick..
    Where the screen can say like follow the white rabbit or something..
    But to do that you have to convince the other guy to open a file..
    That file is in exe form..
    but it can be disguise as an image etc..
    So just scan it with an AV..
    It should be safe then..
    Bcoz once you open the exe file, it just open a little tunnel that allow other to penetrate your pc..
    It works on the same basis as remote assistance software by windows..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The solution is simple.

Far too obvious - try something like 127.195.136.75 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Far too obvious - try something like 127.195.136.75 ;)

What does this do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

Reminds me of a thread I had seen a few weeks back

http://www.totalillusions.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=328&st=0

I sooo hope it's actually true. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Only Human wrote:
    I've just been threatend on another forum. Is it possible to get someones I.P. address and hack their machine across a forum? I've just been threatened.
    The guy says he's using a modified version of windows remote assistance and is accessing the forum through another members computer. Is this likely to be bs?

Its not a good idea to retaliate especially if you are not as knowledgable as the hacker.

What this guy says about using another persons computer could be true. It can be done. In the news recently there have been a few guys arrested for spying on people through their webcam.

Best thing to do here is shore up your defences and forgot about the eejit who threatened you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

This thread is going round in circles a bit.

Shore up your pc defenses, if you have any reason to believe you might actually have had your gibson h4xored, wipe your pc, reinstall windows and download everything from windowsupdate.com again.

Suggesting counter attacks against the idiot isn't on.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement