Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plastering room

• 14-05-2005 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

just looking for a rough estimate to hiring out somebody to plaster a room approx. 4.5 X 3m. Also is it acceptable to buy the material yourself and just pay the tradesman for the labour.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Its acceptable but not generally the norm. I would have to ask for more info is it the room needs skimming or totally plastering of a couple of layers? is it bare concrete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

A plasterer in the trade will get materials cheaper than you will yourself.
    Its a false economy trying to buy the stuff yourself .... and as well, someone in the trade won't get plaster thats gone old. Save yourself the bother and let him get it himself. I would prefer to anyway - he can't complain about skim he buys himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Thats ok. let him get the materials so. The room is wallpapered at the moment. The wallpaper is on plasterboard(I think that's what you call it) with 2 small holes in it. I'm guessing these can be covered up with the plastering(I hope). The plan is to have a surface which can be painted and also some coving. I know the coving is expensive but what are we talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Well you will have to strip the walls of paper before anything is done,then a plasterer can give you an estimate.The walls will have to be poly bonded prior to plasterer,this is easy and fast enough,poly bond drys quick.

Does the plasterer have to cover up?much furniture in room? these are questions that will be thrown at you.

Plastering can be messy but a good one will have cover sheets.Id say a rough estimate you will pay something around the €300+ for a room.

Getting wall paper off plasterboard which is not primed can be hell and can leave the walls in bits.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi,

Is it walls only, or ceiling as well. If it s ceiling too, you will have to clear the room, for either planks and trestles, or all access to floor area for stilts.
    If its walls and ceiling, and the plasterer is prepping the wall, which is a better option, as no excuses fall back to you, 300 euro might be optimistic.

kadman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

kadman wrote:
    300 euro might be optimistic.

Well i did put the + :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I had a room skimmed recently.The walls had been papered and i managed to strip that off but underneath the plaster was gouged,pitted and flaking off in chunks,in addition,i'd knocked va hole through one of the walls to put pipes through and made a mess of patching it up.The plasterer did an excellent job(walls only,the room is 13ftx13 approx)and charged me 300 euro.I know i was luky with this particular bloke.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

mad m wrote:
    Well i did put the + :D

Maybe it should be +++ :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

hello again. Thanks for all replies folks. Okay the ceiling is being left as it is. So just the walls. Let me describe the walls. They are made up of that crappy chalkyboard kind of stuff. About 120mm thick with empty cavity. Thats 2 walls. The other 2 are external walls which I'm guessing are blockwork. So from what I'm gathering here them 2 external walls need to be skimmed?? Just a rough ballpark figure is all I'm looking for. Its the mothers house and I don't want some cowboy ripping her off

Thanks

Advertisement