Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Meteor's dumb greedy attitude!

• 14-05-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

My wife bought a nokia 6100 less that a month ago from Meteor,nice simple straightforward phone, she was out writing in the garden at the weekend for half an hour or so she returned to house and noticed that screen had split. Now the phone hadn't been dropped or abused in any way. Returned to meteor during week to see if they could fix the screen, first thing they insisted my wife must have dropped it, despite the phone being in perfect condition, without a blemish,(This while surrounded by all the Metor staff in shop) and as this was physical damage Meteor was under no obligation to repair or replace above phone(My wife has been a customer for 2 years and this was an upgrade and this was and is cheapest phone instore) Later in day returned and spoke with manager he had a technichian take it apart and examine it, he said the sun had cracked screen and this was physical damage and as such all bets were off, the manager grinning shrugged his shoulders, case closed next. So my wifes 24 day old phone and any consumer rights down the drain.

This type of Ryanair(Meteor) type sharp practices is so prevalent, any decent company would have looked at the situation and thought heres is a good way to cement a relationship with a customer,we will anyway make the money back on her calls over the years so heres a new phone! ANybody have any constructive suggestions as to how to proceed!(We have both now switched to O2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Call in to the Consumer Affairs show on 98fm on wednesday nights.
    They'll give you the proper advice & if you're issue isn't resolved, they'll name & shame them on air to half of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

i find them hard to deal with to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

One question, was it meteors fault the phone broke?

It doesnt matter how the screen cracked it was never gonna be meteors fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67968&item=6393636825&rd=1

its nothing to do with meteor. nokia are the manufacturer, take it up with them. true meteor as the supplier make them responsible but in reality they are governed by nokia. if it cracked and wasnt dropped it was poorly designed. buy a screen for 20 and fit it urself.

Call in to the Consumer Affairs show on 98fm on wednesday nights.
    They'll give you the proper advice & if you're issue isn't resolved, they'll name & shame them on air to half of Dublin.

Ive cracked screens on my phones before and im sure a lot of other people have as well, if meteor fixed everyones phones for free then they wouldnt be as cheap as they are and you'd be complaining about that
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Screens just don't crack all by themselves.
    She must have sat on the phone while it was in a pocket/bag while the screen was up against something (keys, etc).

It's not meteors fault, nor Nokia's.

I think he was talking about the actual screen not the cover screen but either way it cant be meteors fault, maybe nokia's, but i highly doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Those screens are prone to pressure damage as I found out myself. HAd phone in pocket and was lifting something and holding it close to me. Screen cracked internally though the exterior was fine.

In regard to who you should pursue. If you bought it in a Meteor shop then they are the retailer and they need to sort it out. You don't need to chase the manufacturer. Obviously, they've looked at it and refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If you check the usage guidlines in the Nokia manual I think it says something about leaving the unit in direct sunlight. Maybe someone can confirm this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wasted

Ive cracked screens on my phones before and im sure a lot of other people have as well, if meteor fixed everyones phones for free then they wouldnt be as cheap as they are and you'd be complaining about that
    :rolleyes:
    Fact is this was a phone within the 28day warrenty and it should be a little sturdier than my daughters pretend phone, and no I wouldn't complain
    this was a short sighted decision by the Meteor store they saved 69 euro and lost both our custom and goodwill. How much would they have made from us over the years had we stayed, ? It is big business walking over the consumer again, as always happens here cos we lie down and take it, and make excuses as to why this multinational or that could not help because..blah blah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gulp

yeah it says not to leave in direct sunlight.this is a strange case.never heard of sunlight doing it but i suppose the heat could have caused the screen to expand and craic.

id say the reason meteor would not replace it is because in 99/100 cases of broken screens the cust is wrong...custs always lie about their faulty phones...i know cause i work in a phone shop.

you would think that they could have done something for you....they ended up losing 2 custs over it. o2 seem to be the only service provider with excellent cust care

If you get screwed over by a company its you the individual against a large faceless organisation,and the weapons at your disposal are pretty feeble, the phone might be a small thing but it is indicative of bad business practice (Rant over)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

How did they screw you over?
    Meteor are under no obligation to fix the phone. That is customer damage, also it's physical damage. The warranty doesn't cover this. Nokia will not fix it.
    Meteor have already given you the phone at a discounted price, plus call credit if you're a pay as you go customer. To give you another phone again would be making even more of a loss.
    I'm afraid Meteor are right about this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Yea it might feel like a bitch but really it's not Meteor's issue. Plus I believe they offer insurance for their prepay customers as well which Vodafone don't do. To be honest the cost of replacing the phone would be more than offset by the savings you make by staying with them in the longterm. I think you'll find any of the networks would have treated their prepay customers much the same in that situation

RachG wrote:
    How did they screw you over?
    Meteor are under no obligation to fix the phone. That is customer damage, also it's physical damage. The warranty doesn't cover this. Nokia will not fix it.
    Meteor have already given you the phone at a discounted price, plus call credit if you're a pay as you go customer. To give you another phone again would be making even more of a loss.
    I'm afraid Meteor are right about this one.

That sounds so similar to what the Meteor staff said.Uncanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Just because it sounds like what Meteors staff say doesn't make it incorrect.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with RachG with this one.

Having worked before (no longer) in a Vodafone helpline where I dealt with problems like this the answer is you should have gotten insurance.

IF (and it is a big if) the customer didn't break the phone you have to get in touch with Nokia as it is a manufacturing fault.

Otherwise .. tough luck you broke it.

As for the title of Metoer have a dumb greedy attitude it is the customer invariably who wants a phone for free. Who is being greedy exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

If you bought a car and the windscreen broke (for whatever reason) you wouldnt go back to where you got it and complain so why do you think your so important that meteor should assume you didnt break it and fix it for you for free. If you had insurance it would have covered it but you didnt so tough luck be more carefull in the future or get a case to cover the phone up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

your first mistake was taking it into meteor, they are rubbish.

Take the phone to the mobile phone repair company out in sandyford. Everyone here is going to tell you that a screen cannot just crack and that its noones fault only your wifes... thats rubbish.

Allow me to remind everyone about the Nokia 8210.. anyone rememeber them?? I went through 5 screens in a year. The screens used to crack if you farted too close to the phone. MPRC replaced it every time under the 1 years standard Nokia warranty.

The only mistake you can make is to back down. Insist it is repaired and if you are told it must be user damage dont accept it and leave, kick up a fuss demand a full engineers report on it as your entitled to that under the warranty.

You could also be a bit dodgey if you want and leave it in to the mprc to have the firmware upgraded.... when you go back to collect it... "my oh my whats this??? the screen is cracked!!! it was fine when I left it here" ... up to you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wasted wrote:
    Fact is this was a phone within the 28day warrenty and it should be a little sturdier than my daughters pretend phone, and no I wouldn't complain
    this was a short sighted decision by the Meteor store they saved 69 euro and lost both our custom and goodwill. How much would they have made from us over the years had we stayed, ? It is big business walking over the consumer again, as always happens here cos we lie down and take it, and make excuses as to why this multinational or that could not help because..blah blah

If someone bought your phone off you, and came back 24 days later and said "screen cracked, all by itself"

What are the odds that you'd say "yeah, right, get outta here you chancer"

I think pretty high.

Its not Meteors fault, if they repaired every Tom Dick and Harrys phone that came in after almost a month and said it broke all by itself, they'd be down a fair few quid

Get your wife to take better care of her phones. In all my life, and I'm a SERIOUS phone man going through about a dozen a year at times, I've never once had a problem of a phones screen breaking by itself

And yes, another lesson is that you should not leave mobiles out in the direct sunlight either

Totally incorrect title for the thread btw, you are just pissed cos you arent getting a free phone for a reason that actually doesnt even warrant one by a long shot.

IF there is an issue here, its with Nokia and not Meteor at all.

Hold on a second..

She left the phone in direct sun light which is advised against in the manual so therefore not covered by warranty. Tough should have read the manual and taken due care with the phone.

As for leaving it in and then lying about the screen. You could do that aside from the obvious moral issues and it being illegal -> fraud.

• Advertisement

your first mistake was taking it into meteor, they are rubbish.

Take the phone to the mobile phone repair company out in sandyford. Everyone here is going to tell you that a screen cannot just crack and that its noones fault only your wifes... thats rubbish.

Allow me to remind everyone about the Nokia 8210.. anyone rememeber them?? I went through 5 screens in a year. The screens used to crack if you farted too close to the phone. MPRC replaced it every time under the 1 years standard Nokia warranty.

The only mistake you can make is to back down. Insist it is repaired and if you are told it must be user damage dont accept it and leave, kick up a fuss demand a full engineers report on it as your entitled to that under the warranty.

You could also be a bit dodgey if you want and leave it in to the mprc to have the firmware upgraded.... when you go back to collect it... "my oh my whats this??? the screen is cracked!!! it was fine when I left it here" ... up to you..

so if i buy a mobile off u and the screen cracks ill come back to u and say u sold me a dodgy one :rolleyes:

lets not get silly here. We are not talking about replacing every defective phone. We are talking about replacing the screen on phone that has not been demaged by the user. If Meteor show that kind of goodwill to their customers no wonder they are in the position they are in.
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/0,2000061791,20261801,00.htm

"In doing this [changing the part], we have had several of them [3310s and 3330s] in for repair with the metal contacts squashed and broken, and a few with cracked LCDs, " said Morgan.

I know this was a while back but it highlights that nothing is impossible.

You have been very lucky with your phones if nothing has ever gone wrong with the screens but believe me my phones have ended up in for repair more time then I would care to mention and I have never paid once! I even dropped a 6210 on the ground and left it in for repair and because it was end of life and some part or other was out of stock I got a 6310i as a replacement :) ... as I said nothing is impossible

lets not get silly here. We are not talking about replacing every defective phone. We are talking about replacing the screen on phone that has not been demaged by the user. If Meteor show that kind of goodwill to their customers no wonder they are in the position they are in.
    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/0,2000061791,20261801,00.htm

"In doing this [changing the part], we have had several of them [3310s and 3330s] in for repair with the metal contacts squashed and broken, and a few with cracked LCDs, " said Morgan.

I know this was a while back but it highlights that nothing is impossible.

You have been very lucky with your phones if nothing has ever gone wrong with the screens but believe me my phones have ended up in for repair more time then I would care to mention and I have never paid once! I even dropped a 6210 on the ground and left it in for repair and because it was end of life and some part or other was out of stock I got a 6310i as a replacement :) ... as I said nothing is impossible

then u are whats known as a freeloader.

I bought the phone.... I dropped the phone.... I left it in and they replaced it.... so I am a freeloader....

I suggest you load up google there and put this in the search box
    define: freeloader

Im pretty sure it doesnt say "someone that takes a replacement phone from a huge global company"

Keep your do-gooder attitude for someone that appreciates it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well in that case we should all steal or scam phones, and anything else we want from huge global companies, just cos they're huge global companies. Obviously that makes everything ok.

markororke wrote:
    Hold on a second..

She left the phone in direct sun light which is advised against in the manual so therefore not covered by warranty. Tough should have read the manual and taken due care with the phone.
    In case any one hasn't noticed most of us spend quite a bit of time in daylight,daylight is composed for the most part of direct sunlight(Sorry if I'm getting all scientific) Nokia saying that in the warranty is like them saying their phones may contain traces of nuts, just because they write it down doesn't mean it's right, it might be the legal get out for Meteor and Nokia but that doesn't make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

About the only useful information in this thread was the suggestion to go to a mobile phone repair place and see if it can be fixed under warranty. If it can't, well, so be it. I don't really see this as being Meteor's fault or problem. Maybe google for the problem and see if it's common. It's ultimately a Nokia issue.

Thanks Blaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wasted wrote:
    In case any one hasn't noticed most of us spend quite a bit of time in daylight,daylight is composed for the most part of direct sunlight(Sorry if I'm getting all scientific) Nokia saying that in the warranty is like them saying their phones may contain traces of nuts, just because they write it down doesn't mean it's right, it might be the legal get out for Meteor and Nokia but that doesn't make it right.

Theres a huge difference between having a phone in sunlight and having it exposed in sunlight. The problem with that would be leaving it down somewhere, where the sun is shining directly on the screen. Just being in sunlight and using your phone normally is not a problem.

So Nokias statement is fairly valid. All equipment with screens comes with the same warnings. It doesn't say "Do not use this phone in Sunlight" it says "Do not expose to sunlight"

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    About the only useful information in this thread was the suggestion to go to a mobile phone repair place and see if it can be fixed under warranty. If it can't, well, so be it. I don't really see this as being Meteor's fault or problem. Maybe google for the problem and see if it's common. It's ultimately a Nokia issue.

I don't know where in the country you are Wasted but there is a Nokia warranty repair centre in the egan centre on the dargle road in bray. Just off the M11. Drop it in and see if they repair it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement