Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera flash when I was in opposite lane+direction. Am I looking at points ?

Options
  • 14-05-2005 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Someone might be able to help on this one.

I was on the way home from work this morning, heading South on the N1 from Drogheda to Balbriggan, there is a camera just before the M1.

I was doing 100kmph in my lane in an 80kmph zone and the fixed speed camera on the other side of the road flashed. Am I looking at points, (if there was a film in the camera and if it gets processed), or are these cameras specifically for 1 lane only, ie, the opposite lane I was on ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Howdy, I was overtaking a car on that exact spot, and I too got flashed whilst I was crossing back over to the left side of the road.

That was back around the end of Feb, and I never got anything in the post, and hopefully i wont yet!

1 of the cameras the other side of Balbriggin, on the roads up to swords,(old M1?) balrtherly or however its spelt have been vandalised.The Blakes cross one works though i think, i remember reading a thread where someone got points from it. Well 1 of them anyway. You`d think that 1 that flashed us would be vandalised too,,,, i reckon its just in a awkward place for lads to pull up at to "fix" as its in a busy enough spot.. Unless they attacked it in the very early hrs. (i must see what me mates r doing tomorrow nite)

Im not 100% sure if its a case of that camera not working,,,, or whether it didnt get me cause i was sort of half across the other side of the road :D , and it had no chance of picturing the rear or my car which is what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It flashed to tell you that you were speeding.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest, I don't think anyone here can say that you will or will not get points.
    However, I was under the belief that it did not flash at oncoming traffic. If this is the case and you do get points then I would make a racket about it as this is dangerous - blinding an incoming motorist!
    Secondly, there were about 22 Gatso boxes in the Dublin/Meath/Louth area with only 3 cameras. Even without a camera it will flash. Several have been vandalised but AFAIK the 3 cameras are still alive and well.
    Apparently the cameras can only take about 200 shots before they are full.

So you have fairly good odds of not being caught!
    Regardless, if you know there is a speed trap somewhere, don't speed past it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its an 800 shot roll, so they can catch 400 vehicles on one reel.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

correct (http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/05/01/story4485.asp).
    I had 400 in my head and divided that by the 2 shots per car!

• Advertisement
Advertisement