Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Groups

Options
  • 14-05-2005 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

My profile, and everyone elses i've seen that i can remember, tells me that no one is a member of a public group. What does this mean?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Afaik vBulletin, like most Bulletin Board software, has the ability to set special groups that can be private messaged at once or have that whole group given permissions to access certain private forums etc...

I don't think boards.ie uses this feature (or if they do there's not many people belonging to groups)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Is that what usergroups are in boards.us?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Steveire wrote:
    Is that what usergroups are in boards.us?
    Same idea yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's a number of user groups. Normal users, mods, cat mods, super mods, admins, subscribers and banned users off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

But then surely your pforile would list you as being in the moderators group. So far i agree with steveland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/shrugs

Maybe the admins have just set it so that non-admins can't see what groups people are in. If you're a mod and a subscriber there's an extra option in the sidebar in your usercp for group memberships where you can choose which you're displayed as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

From what I know (and this is only using my limited knowledge of the inner workings of phpBB, not vBulletin but they're fairly similar in the way things are implemented) the moderators/super mods/admins etc are usually hidden groups. Other groups (the bloggers group on boards.us for example) are public groups that people have to be a member of to have special permissions (starting a blog).

Other groups (like the moderator groups on boards.us) are locked groups that have permissions to moderate certain forums...

I assume in the configuration of boards.ie the groups Moriarty described are hidden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

This is a feature of VB which is not in use on Boards. It allows for publically joinable user groups. When they are set up you would see all the public user groups in your user CP with a button to request membership of this group beside each one. The groups can be either free to join I.E. click the button and you become a member of that group or it might require the approval of a group leader to gain membership. The user groups can be configured just like the regular user groups and can control access to forums, features or down to the colour of your username or what your tagline says, pretty much anything that can be configured at a user group level.

Advertisement