Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Open Letter Regarding Metallica

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Metallica are gods, and according to another poster on this site it;ll be Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Marilyn Manson on August 31st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

which has been proven to be false information

Especially since

Megadeth are playing Buffalo, New York the night before (http://www.megadeth.com/index.php?section=killingroad) and they are in Canada on the 2nd of September thereafter

and wouldnt it be more likely that both bands would be announced by now, since ticket sales are downright pitiful for this concert?

http://www.megadeth.com/index.php?section=killingroad

Yeah, that page does say that, but as for Metallica, I THINK that perhaps they might play.

Did you hear the latest. Their vault site, that is, the one that allowed people to download soundboard recordings of their shows from their 2004 tour and some from 1992 is to be closed on June 6th. they included their 2004 performance in there as well i might add, the one they did with slipknot. but i wonder if james says on it that thing they said that night about slipknot, does anyone remember, something about praising them as a support act. I know that Corey taylor abused the crowd when they wouldnt cheer the lost prophets (fair is fair and all) but i think james said something about slipknot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Yeah, that page does say that, but as for Metallica, I THINK that perhaps they might play.

And until its officially confirmed and not just idle speculation, then Metallica are not playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Indeed, nice way to boost crap ticket sales, start a rumour that Metallica might be playing :p

Yoyos in da bank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

do people actually think that Metallica will be a support band?
    Whether you love them or hate them, it they were going to play it would be Metallica headlining and Maiden/Manson as support acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

And can you see Maiden supporting anyone? Me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Oooh, burn!
    Aw look irokie, you went and made the kid cry.
    (",

Kid??? He's same age as you, what are you talkin' about?

And Irokie
    1) What the hell was the point in poiting out Motley's spelling/grammar mistakes. Totally irrelevant.

2) Perhaps you should be a bit more open-minded. He was just giving his un-biased oppinion. You could not do this as you seem blind to their flaws and I couldn't do that cos I really dislike metallica (I find their music cold and boring).

So quit trying to flame Motley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JKSIII

Doctor J wrote:
    And can you see Maiden supporting anyone? Me neither.
    If they're on the same bill as metallica....yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Doctor J wrote:
    Indeed, nice way to boost crap ticket sales, start a rumour that Metallica might be playing :p

Yoyos in da bank!

Yeah...that makes way more sense than some spa in the Irish Times making a mistake and printing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

JKSIII wrote:
    If they're on the same bill as metallica....yeah.

Eh, no! Maiden have been around a damn sight longer than Metallica and are just as capbale of selling out stadium gigs. They are not going to switch from headlining to supporting Metallica. :rolleyes:

cheers kawaii!

Anywho, the live Metallica site is shutting down, wot u think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eh, no! Maiden have been around a damn sight longer than Metallica and are just as capbale of selling out stadium gigs. They are not going to switch from headlining to supporting Metallica. :rolleyes:
    but unlike some of metallicas stuff all of maidons stuff is absolute bollox
    you stumbled across the band i truly detest.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

all of maidons stuff is absolute bollox

Oh oh! You've found the princess, she's in another house, go away.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, because I think you're inspiring a riot. I think I'll put you under protective custody, Tar.Aldarion. Or maybe not?

i sure do love a round of mindlessly fellating my favourite band.

why do you think anyone cares that you prefer Metallica to Iron Maiden?

It's his opinion and he's entitled to express it. I love both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JKSIII

The facts are metallica sells more, is the bigger name, and sell more tickets than maiden does [look it up]

Sorry, but if maiden were on the same bill as metallica, they'd be opening for them. The numbers don't lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

yet they can't sell out the RDS?

bonzai bob wrote:
    yet they can't sell out the RDS?

good point. you cant really argue the fact that tickets are still available for Maiden whereas Metallica sold out the RDS two years in a row.
    they'd have probably sold out without support acts

Yeah but at the Metallica gigs you have mad crowds of mini-metallers wandering down for Linkin Park and Slipknot, and let's face it, they end up buying a large percentage of the tickets. The fact is, Maiden are not going to open for Metallica. Metallica are unquestionably the bigger name, them ahving their own little business empire and all, but Maiden have dignity, and they won't open. they're too big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Yeah but at the Metallica gigs you have mad crowds of mini-metallers wandering down for Linkin Park and Slipknot, and let's face it, they end up buying a large percentage of the tickets. The fact is, Maiden are not going to open for Metallica. Metallica are unquestionably the bigger name, them ahving their own little business empire and all, but Maiden have dignity, and they won't open. they're too big.
    yeah, and for the maiden gig, you have marilyn manson as a support act to attract all the mini metalers. Yet it still doesn't sell out and more then likely won't.

Personally, i count maiden as one of the worst bands ever. Fúckin terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I wouldnt go so far as to call maiden terrible, i mean they have some good songs (the trooper rocks), but tbh i think they just sound far too 80's metal for my taste, its all galloping basslines, high pitched singing etc etc, and i think they should just be confined to the 80's really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd say the Maiden gig will sell out. I'd have bought my ticket on the day they went on sale if I had the money. And I know at least 4 other people in the same situation. Once the younger crowd get money from their summer jobs the tickets will sell. There also seems to be a good crowd from Britain coming over for it too

Maiden, brilliant band, infinitely better than Metallica these days

it'll probably sell out eventually, but if the 'plus special guests' were a half decent band, they'd be announced to shift more tickets.
    the promoters want to make as much money as possible, so they're hardly going to not advertise a band that'll pull in crowds, such as Metallica. It'll probably be Lost Prophets or some equally lame band

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

skregs wrote:
    good point. you cant really argue the fact that tickets are still available for Maiden whereas Metallica sold out the RDS two years in a row.
    they'd have probably sold out without support acts

Metallica didn't sell out the second year, and the first year only sold its last ticket, four days before the gig.

If the other support act was worth mentioning, they would have been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Deadwing wrote:
    I wouldnt go so far as to call maiden terrible, i mean they have some good songs (the trooper rocks), but tbh i think they just sound far too 80's metal for my taste, its all galloping basslines, high pitched singing etc etc, and i think they should just be confined to the 80's really.

Bruce Dickinson..high pitched vocals?!?! where?! :D

They are the AC/DC of metal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you're right...they overused the galloping basslines. And the bass arpeggiated song intros. ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It'd be great if Bruce Dickinson opened for Maiden! The galloping basslines are part of what makes them so great

Wait a second, why are we even having this conversation! No show, thats NO SHOW in the RDS Simmonscourt sells out in no time (with the very rare, odd exception, such as Eric Clapton). Look at Slipknot/Shadows Fall. You've got 2 bands, fairly decent, one who are on the upkeep to be the next Gods of Metal and the other who could possibly be the next Metallica if they get enough backing, with tickets 40 euro (thats 20 euro below Metallica prices) and they still havent sold out. That concert is a fantastic days entertainment, and i dont know why nobody is snatching up tickets.

Actually i wonder which has sold more, Maiden and Manson or Slipknot and Shadows Fall?

Think of it this way, Elton John cant sell out the RDS and hes been going consistently for 30 years, what chance do Iron Maiden have in a country like Ireland? they couldnt even sell out their Dec 2003 gig in the Point with Funeral for a Friend for christs sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Bruce Dickinson..high pitched vocals?!?! where?! :D

They are the AC/DC of metal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you're right...they overused the galloping basslines. And the bass arpeggiated song intros. ARGH!

His vocals sound like hes got his balls in a vice!! lol...ah i loved maiden back when i was a kid (i still havew the limited edition vinyl double single of the trooper and flight of icarus!) but theyre just too 80's for me nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

skregs wrote:
    It'll probably be Lost Prophets or some equally lame band

[strike]Lookit here you! I spent hard-earned cash on a Lost Prophets T-shirt at Ozzfest and I won't take you saying I buy all sorts of crap when I'm drunk without a retort. So there.[/strike]

[strike]Plus if it was Lost Prophets I could finally find a use for that T-shirt. Go to the jacks, take a dump in it and fling it on stage![/strike]

*ahem* someones looking to getting slapped

Advertisement