Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BBC Weather graphics from Monday 16th May

Options
  • 14-05-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/05_may/14/weather.shtml and video here...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4546141.stm
    Brighter outlook as BBC Weather goes 3D

The BBC is to introduce 3D graphics to its weather forecasting from Monday 16 May, when presenter Helen Willetts will bring viewers the first forecast using the new technology.

The 3D forecasts are the first major change to the look of BBC weather since 1985 when magnetic symbols were replaced by computer generated maps and symbols.

And the development represents a significant advance from the first TV forecasts, which featured charts hand-drawn with wax crayons.

The new system will also feature virtual reality technology and the forecasts will use constantly updated weather data.

Helen Young, the BBC Weather Centre's Lead Presenter, says: "The new system will introduce more realism, movement and clarity to the forecasts. For the first time, viewers will be able to see the sun shine and the rain fall on the weather map. Complex weather situations will be much clearer for the audience.

"The use of 3D graphics means we can zoom into areas where weather conditions are bad, or particularly interesting, and provide a much closer view."

Colin Tregear, Project Director, BBC Weather Centre says: "All the hallmarks of BBC weather - accuracy, authority and reliability - will remain, but the forecasts will be more engaging and informative.

"Most people want to know 'What's my weather going to be like?' Our new look will give the audience the up-to-date information they really need, in a way that is easier to understand."

Viewers will be able to see the new-look weather on BBC ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, and News 24, as well as across the BBC's Nations and Regions, the international news channel BBC World, BBCi, and bbc.co.uk.

The system is able to display weather from all parts of the world.

And the technology will lead to more live forecasts and more frequent updates to the weather website - which is one of the most popular parts of BBC news online.

The relaunch follows a recent, major audience research exercise, which showed that BBC Weather was found to be trustworthy, but that the graphics were considered old-fashioned and in need of refreshment.

The Met Office will continue to provide the data from which the forecasts are made.

Note to Editors

The system is provided by Metra Information Ltd, which has many years of experience providing weather graphics software and weather data to television clients globally.

Weatherscape XT uses virtual reality technology to take real time data and translate it into 3D images, which automatically creates controls and delivers dynamic weather graphics for television and the internet.

Comments

Yup, they were promoting it and getting all excited on BBC Breakfast news all last week.

So they are catching up with the TV3 graphics at last...

Were they on holidays over here or does somebody in the UK met now have a sky Ireland subscription? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dale

Urgh! I dont like the look of that. I prefer the good old 2d images.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just as long as this little lot doesnt dissappear....

0_clear_sky.jpg10_light_rain.jpg13_heavy_rain_showers.jpg14_heavy_rain.jpg16_sleet_shower_night.jpg1_sunny_day.jpg9_light_rain_driz.jpg

Actually, just saw a video report on Points West (BBC News in Bristol) and they are getting rid of the weather symbols.

I feel that getting rid of them will induce a backlash. I remember the BBC did a sort of regional highlights thing after the 9 o'clock news in the late 80's/early 90's and it resulted in bringing back the old method of telling the forecast. "Points of View" power...

Middle England wont like the forecast being tampered with.... and I for one will be sorry to see the old symbols go, but I dont reckon they'll be gone for long....

Had a look this morning, fairly negative feedback on Breakfast... and here

My thoughts...

The Browns really dont look right. As one person mentioned, what happened to "England's green and pleasent land?" Its a mucky place now! And it doesn't look right in Black and White.

The angle of the map. The North of Scotland looks tiny.

The website still has the symbols, maybe this is a soft launch on TV to see how people really fair without them... But they have taken down the hourly radar... Boo! :( :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this new weather system isnt bad, its damnin awfull, horrible brown land colour makes the uk & irl look like a desert!! its not very clear whats happening where, if theres cloud or sunshine, no symbols except for the temperature and the land following the curvature of the earth is crazy, northern england and scotland are sqaushed and southern england is enlarged. BBC had the best weather forecast by a country mile with their really clear maps and great symbols, now we have this rubbish:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dale

I saw them (for the first time) on BBC News 24 at 4am this morning, and they are horrible.

Gonzo wrote:
    , northern england and scotland are sqaushed and southern england is enlarged.

Ithink the reason for that is to mirror what you get with satelite imagery of the globe, thats how it appears as you zoom in.

While I thought the previous symbols were great, my jury is out on this as all things need a bit of getting used to when strange at first.

Its gone political.. the Scottish Nationalist MP for the Western Isles has brought it up in Westminister parliament.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4556025.stm
    New BBC weather map causes storm

The BBC's new weather map has caused a political storm with the Scottish National Party claiming it gives a "distorted" view of Scotland.

New 3-D television weather forecast graphics began on Monday but the SNP MP for the Western Isles, Angus MacNeil, called for the BBC to think again.

He said the map makes it more difficult for people in the north and the islands to get an accurate forecast.

Mr MacNeil has put down his first Early Day Motion at Westminster calling on the BBC to rethink the new weather graphics.

He said England had a landmass which is less than twice Scotland's area.

But recent changes give England a presence on the TV screen which is 10 times that of Scotland, he said.

Mr MacNeil said: "People in my constituency depend on reliable weather forecasting for a range of crucial outdoor activities - including fishing and crofting - but this new map leaves them with almost zero visibility for weather in the isles.

"There would be outcry in London if the map was angled from the north, because it would have Barra bigger than London and Lewis twice the size of the south-west.

"We are well used to changeable weather, but this map is a change too far.

"The BBC needs to rethink their daft distorted map. They need to see Scotland as it is."

A spokesman for the BBC said: "Central to the new look is a 3-D globe because the old graphics were considered dull and flat by the audience.

"Scotland is actually no smaller than on the old 2-D maps, but with the new 3-D forecast, the bottom part of the map (the south) is closer to the viewer.

"However, the forecast works its way around the entire country, and for the first time the new system enables us to give viewers a detailed, close up of the weather on the ground in Scotland and elsewhere.

"Our various national and regional forecasts will also continue to provide detailed analysis of the weather in specific areas."

The spokesman added that it was the first major change to the look of BBC weather for 20 years.

"Clearly, it will take a little time for audiences to get used to the new system," he said.

"But we feel it gives audiences the extra clarity and detail they have told us they want from our forecasts."

The BBC said it would continue to monitor audience feedback.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Countryfile had a good piece on sundays show about the new weather and peoples views about it...

They do still have the isobar charts etc., however will only really be used on the Countryfile weather for the week ahead.

Personally, (For the main part) I like the new graphics set & as Earthman says a lot of peoples POV's about the new set are based on the fear! of change. However, there are still some major flaws that need to be remedied IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think the new graphics are really pathetic and are
    the start of the dumbing down of the weather on the BBC,
    have you noticed that since the new grpahics have aired
    i havent seen a forecast past one day apart from Countryfile!!

The graphics are bad and the forecasts are bad!

That is all..

i havent seen a forecast past one day apart from Countryfile!!
    Oh they have, they definitely have,I've seen them go 2-3 days ahead as per before.
    The graphics are bad and the forecasts are bad!
    What , you mean the forecasts are inaccurate?
    I couldnt disagree more on that score, they're as reliable as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I've just seen them on the web link above, but that is the first I knew about them. They do seem a bit brown alright, as someone said. It is amazing to think that TV3 have been leading the BBC on this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Where the fcuk are the damn wind arrows: speeds, directions???
    Rainfall and cloud cover prediction seem a fair bit more accurate, but where's the doppler images?? Weather shouldn't be just about prediction...showing what happened in the last 12-24 hrs should be catered for as it always was...
    Foolish choice to go with IMO, but they're the experts so let them do what they will.
    Far too much of a TV3 type thing going on witht eh headline and the little outlook pictures...next they'll be doin' b'day requests :rolleyes:

The map has swung round a bit more...

1.jpg

But the faults are still there, I still think Scotland is still too small. It was windy as **** today, but on the forecast I saw at 8:58 this morning, where were the wind arrows or speed? NOWHERE.

I wonder how much the JCB's are for daily hire, cos that hole they're digging looks mighty expensive...

Advertisement