Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV: Questions

• 14-05-2005 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,
    I've read a lot of posts here and I'll say this. I've NEVER had a problem with UTV. I've been with them since they introduced "flat rate" dialup then migrated to BB as soon as it was available. Now having been on dialup for so long I regard 1MB connection as a god send! The one "complaint" I had was when it was upgraded from 512 - 1Mb I knew nothing about it! Logged on and the connection came up as 1mb, first I knew about it. Didn't know if the cap had changed, if it was permanant or anything. You'd imagine if they're doubling their speed they'd sing from the highest heights!

Is there any hope, in the near future that they are going to up the cap? I've searched Boards and the last post was around April. Just wondering has anybody heard anything in the last couple of months? 8GB is madness at this stage of the game.

What's the "punishment" for bailing out of the 12 month contract?

A friend of mine has BT (or is it Esat?) and sings the praises! Now I'm thinking why should I settle for something when, according to my friend, there's a superiour alternative.

Also, just to confirm the 8GB cap is just for Downloading and is not a combination of up & down? Is that correct? I really keep my DLing down to a minimum during the month and then go full force a couple of days before the end of the month for fear of going over the cap.

Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You can't bail out, AFAIK, and if you can, you've to pay ALOT. And the 8GB is a combination of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

mp3guy wrote:
    You can't bail out, AFAIK, and if you can, you've to pay ALOT. And the 8GB is a combination of both.
    The 8GB is down only. There is no upstream limit :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ay Cee wrote:
    Howdy all,
    I've read a lot of posts here and I'll say this. I've NEVER had a problem with UTV. I've been with them since they introduced "flat rate" dialup then migrated to BB as soon as it was available.

With that sort of extraordinary luck you should definitely buy lots of lottery tickets!
    Is there any hope, in the near future that they are going to up the cap? I've searched Boards and the last post was around April. Just wondering has anybody heard anything in the last couple of months? 8GB is madness at this stage of the game.

According to one very optimistic poster in the utv.supprt group (server news.utvinternet.com in your newsreader programme - usually outlook express) there may be some news on this on Monday next. (By the way I am intrigued as to how you count your months? April is not exactly that long ago.)
    What's the "punishment" for bailing out of the 12 month contract?

The punishment for being a bad boy is paying up whatever number of months subscriptions are left in the '12 months' Not sure yet if UTV now include line rental in this if you have changed over to them for payment of line rental.

kaizersoze wrote:
    The 8GB is down only. There is no upstream limit :D
    according to the utv clicksilver site:

"8GB Usage per month"

doesn't specify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

mp3guy wrote:
    according to the utv clicksilver site:

"8GB Usage per month"

doesn't specify
    I have an email from them that does specify :D
    And in their FAQ's it refers only to downloads
    RoI ClickSilver customers are entitled to download up to 8 Gigabytes of information in any given month.
    RoI ClickSilver Plus customers are entitled to download up to 16 Gigabytes of information in any given month.

If you go over this allowance then UTV reserve the right to charge you for any additional downloaded material (at 1.5 cent inc VAT per MB).

Download allowance measures everything that that comes from the net, every page, every email, every image; it does not refer only to download requests.

• Advertisement

Cool, i didn't know that. Nice to know, they also reserve the right, which means that they only might charge you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Well I had a service with a 24:1 contention, now the service is 48:1, I'm pretty sure the is a change in service on their point and would be an opt out for me, reguardless of what the speed is now. Don't know about the people that where always on the 48:1 contention.

mp3guy wrote:
    Cool, i didn't know that. Nice to know, they also reserve the right, which means that they only might charge you.

Ah such innocence! UTV charge even for a fraction over! They are the only ones who do as far as I know.

Atreides wrote:
    Well I had a service with a 24:1 contention, now the service is 48:1, I'm pretty sure the is a change in service on their point and would be an opt out for me, reguardless of what the speed is now. Don't know about the people that where always on the 48:1 contention.

How do you know that the contention rate has changed for you? Have you formally pointed this out to them? Have you applied for a refund for being overcharged? If not and you can prove that you are not on the product you are being charged for you should definitely get such a claim in straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dub45 wrote:
    Ah such innocence! UTV charge even for a fraction over! They are the only ones who do as far as I know.

indeed tis a right pain in the arse... :(

actually i'm on a new contract with them and managed to avail of the free trial with them...does anyone know if thy charge you for going over the limit during the trial? I've downloaded 11 gigs of my 16 already this month

• Advertisement

Despite what the site says it really can't be 24:1. Now eircom doesn't say what it's contention is on the site, but last I checked it was 48:1 for all home products. A 24:1 contention makes UTV "in theory twice as fast as eircom. Where as before they where half the speed and half the contention of the equivalent eircom product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Clicksilver is advertised as 48:1
    Clicksilver Plus is advertised as 24:1

There are suspicions that people on Clicksilver Plus were never moved to the 24:1 contention ratio, they just had their caps up. This seems confirmed when they never moved to 2Mbps but rather 1Mbps after the upgrade.

I know that the site says 24:1, but I don't believe it. Also what do you mean not upgraded to 2mb. I get 200k one in awhile and my router says 2mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'm suppossed to be on 2meg but doing any speed test i'm in and around 1meg :eek:

Atreides wrote:
    Despite what the site says it really can't be 24:1. Now eircom doesn't say what it's contention is on the site, but last I checked it was 48:1 for all home products. A 24:1 contention makes UTV "in theory twice as fast as eircom. Where as before they where half the speed and half the contention of the equivalent eircom product.

As Stark says when Clicksilver was introduced the basic clicksilver product had 48:1 and Clicksilver Plus had 24:1 plus double the caps. There was no speed difference. A reduced contention ration will not affect your basic speed potential so a 24:1 is not twice as fast as a 48:!. Effectively there was no way of knowing if you were on the higher product apart from the cap entitlement. Since the Upgrade to 2mb there is a clear difference now.
    There have been loads of complaints elsewhere on boards of people finding themselves on the lower product when they had been paying for the higher one. This seems to have a affected a lot of Esat BT users.

I am on Clicksilver Plus and once the upgarde settled down have been getting 1.7MB or thereabouts. There are posts in other threads about sussing how exactly what speed you are connected at using your router.

If you can establish that your isp is providing you with a lesser product than the one you are paying for then they are potentially in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

dub45 wrote:
    (By the way I am intrigued as to how you count your months? April is not exactly that long ago.)

HAHA Jesus Dub I don't have a clue how I worked that out :D I can't even blame that on bad maths, that's just dumb :D I'll blame it on beer & bouncy casles that day!

If they upped their cap I'd have no problem staying with them. Considering the hassle free ride I've had so far.

God my connection is gonna go down now for about 2 weeks cos I said that isn't it?! :(

Ay Cee wrote:
    HAHA Jesus Dub I don't have a clue how I worked that out :D I can't even blame that on bad maths, that's just dumb :D I'll blame it on beer & bouncy casles that day!

If they upped their cap I'd have no problem staying with them. Considering the hassle free ride I've had so far.

God my connection is gonna go down now for about 2 weeks cos I said that isn't it?! :(

Ay Cee are you sure you are not communicating with us from a paralell universe where UTV is a great company and the months are not quite the same as ours? I dont think that 'our' UTV would ever claim in their wildest dreams that they had even one customer who had not had any problems since the launch of Clicksilver!!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was about to post that I've had relatively little technical problems with them, but now my pings have gone so high that websites are timing out, and I can't use IM software.
    Pinging www.l.google.com [216.239.59.103] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=3216ms TTL=245
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=3145ms TTL=245
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=2979ms TTL=245
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=3070ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 216.239.59.103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2979ms, Maximum = 3216ms, Average = 3102ms
    Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=2998ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=3427ms TTL=53
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=3710ms TTL=53
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.36:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2998ms, Maximum = 3710ms, Average = 3378ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Ay Cee wrote:
    The one "complaint" I had was when it was upgraded from 512 - 1Mb I knew nothing about it! Logged on and the connection came up as 1mb, first I knew about it. Didn't know if the cap had changed, if it was permanant or anything. You'd imagine if they're doubling their speed they'd sing from the highest heights!

Wtf?? Are you saying they increased the clicksilver plus download speed to 1mb? There's no way mine is running at 1mb, in fact I'm starting to suspect they've decreased it! I wonder do they punish people who use it too much? I'm on pretty much 24/7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

dub45 wrote:
    Ay Cee are you sure you are not communicating with us from a paralell universe where UTV is a great company and the months are not quite the same as ours? I dont think that 'our' UTV would ever claim in their wildest dreams that they had even one customer who had not had any problems since the launch of Clicksilver!!
    :)

I have Clicksilver for a year now. Was upgraded last month and everything running fine. In the year I have only had one problem around this time last year when the speeds were ridiculously slow. Since then I haven't had a problem. Very happy but do wish they would up the download limit as I am a heavy user and it is beginning to prove expensive going over the limit.

In work I am on IBB Breeze and in comparison to that I have had a lovely ride on UTV. Also I have found there customer care to be the best of all the ISPs I have dealt with down through the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gegerty wrote:
    Wtf?? Are you saying they increased the clicksilver plus download speed to 1mb? There's no way mine is running at 1mb, in fact I'm starting to suspect they've decreased it! I wonder do they punish people who use it too much? I'm on pretty much 24/7...

Uh... if you're on Plus you should be getting 2mb. Restart your router or something. Though you're probably on 2mb it's just that UTV have so many issues it runs at 56k speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

dub45 wrote:
    Ay Cee are you sure you are not communicating with us from a paralell universe

Well unless Portarlington, Co. Laois is a paralell uni...hang on a second...it all makes sense now :D

Nah seriously guys, I've never had a single problem. But I bet you've just jinxed me now :D

Advertisement