Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn a nordic language?

Options
  • 14-05-2005 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Any good online resources for learning a nordic language (preferrably Finnish or Swedish). The only languages I've experienced are the typical school ones like French, Spanish and some German...so learning a nordic language would be pretty tricky. Still though, I'm willing to give it a go and maybe learn some basics. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I think Swedish is easier to learn than Finnish because Swedish is a germanic language like English where as Finnish is a Finno-Urgic language. See here.

Concerning online resources, i don't there is anything that gives you more than the mere basics like holidasy phrase or information on pronunciation. However, those language pack books, that come with audio tapes, aren't bad. You can get them off the net or in the modern languages book store on westland row (near pearse dart station) in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Thanks for the info Kevin. Have you learned any nordic languages yourself? Must look into getting one of those book/cassette packs like you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I tried to learn Finnish, Swedish and Estonian and I failed to learn more than a few words from all three. I'm pretty crap at this type of thing.

My impression from Finnish was, there are lots and lots of grammatical rules for structuring the language. Far different to English (think more along the lines of Latin) but once you learn these rules, the language really falls into shape.

The Libraries, especially the one in the ILAC loan this audio books out so go in and get one if they're available and see what you think. I think they're about 40-60 euro to buy. Which is expensive if you buy it, listen to it twice and then store it under your bed for the next 10 years.

Advertisement