Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally!! .....My MX5!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

ambro25 wrote:
    I'd get banned :o considering the amount of highly-opinionated right-thinking Forum members reading these here pages

Suffice to say his paintjob must have turned out much-much-much more expensive than mine (along with a new set of 4 tyres and screen wipers)... as the Big Man™ said, an eye for an eye and the whole face for a tooth :D

Nice one! PM me the details :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

t'was in UK 2 years ago, Summer '03. Went down to the local Supermarket for a few 6-packs before doing a BBQ on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, top down, had just spenty all morning cleaning/hoovering/polishing/waxing/etc... She was absolutely gleeming :o

Parked it top down, I run in the 'market, grab a few Stellas, through check out, come out & as I'm walking back to my car, I see this mid-40s/early-50s kn*bjockey parked next to me in a brand new Mondeo giving it some with his driver door (I mean, 2-3 times, clearly and unambiguously on purpose) into my passenger side...

Now, tempted as I am to leg it, pull him out, rip his head off and sh1t down his neck, instead I find myself on auto-pilot, walking slowly by as he's eventually reversing out, then, as he's departing, I legged it straight back in the car and tailed him (a good 20 miles...b@st'). Sure enough, he'd made a mess alright and by the time we gets there I'm absolutely f*cking fuming with rage... but still holding it in.

So I waited 'til he unloaded & went in. Parked right outside his house (? didn't know/didn't care), posh detached number, 4 bedrooms +...
    jumped out the Maz' with wheel spanner from kit, scratched every single panel to the metal in a cross, deflated all four tyres completely and ripped his wipers
    , then back in the Maz', tooted a few times 'til his head popped up & then I floored it with a looong finger.

Not proud, but better than getting done for Assault/GBH. And before the criticisms/flaming start, let me ask you something: what would you have done? called on the insurance? :rolleyes:

EDIT: and if, by any chance, you're the tw*t and you're reading this, I bet your body work/paint job didn't clock in at £350, did it? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

ha ha ha brilliant ...you've made my day... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

ambro25 wrote:
    And before the criticisms/flaming start,

No criticisms from here.

You are currently my hero :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Genius, alot better than GBH

• Advertisement

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 rootofallevil

MX-5, yeah i hear alot of girls and hairdressers lookin for those

There is always one idiot! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

ambro25 wrote:
    ...then back in the Maz', tooted a few times 'til his head popped up & then I floored it with a looong finger.
    I'm sure he learned his lesson :)
    Or had he just split with his missus and borrowed her Mondeo to go to the shops :D

causal

what do you drive, manly man? A giant shopping troll...ooops, sorry, SUV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I'm betting he has a Suzuki "anal" Maurader complete with the special edition Village People Chromepak (tm) :eek:

Anyways, back to the topic!

I notice that the rev counter is quite high. When doing 120km/h on the motorway the rev counter is getting close to 4000! and this is in 6th gear!!! Is this normal for this kinda car or am I right to be concerned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

py2006 wrote:
    Anyways, back to the topic!

I notice that the rev counter is quite high. When doing 120km/h on the motorway the rev counter is getting close to 4000! and this is in 6th gear!!! Is this normal for this kinda car or am I right to be concerned?

"Am I right to be concerned?" - Sorry, I really don't understand the question you are asking. 4,000 is NOT high for a sportscar. I think the redline is around 7 if memory serves correctly.

The best way to drive this car is to rev the bollix off it (within reason, don't go over the red line and don't overdo it when the engine is cold).

But basically, don't be afraid to rev it. :)

"Am I right to be concerned?" - Sorry, I really don't understand the question you are asking. 4,000 is NOT high for a sportscar. I think the redline is around 7 if memory serves correctly.

The best way to drive this car is to rev the bollix off it (within reason, don't go over the red line and don't overdo it when the engine is cold).

But basically, don't be afraid to rev it. :)

I guess its because I am soo used to driving a Focus! Its just that too me it seems high when just cruising along. Also the feckin thing is drinking petrol at same time. I knew it would be more thirsty than my Focus but at this rate I will have to fill the tank twice a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

py2006 wrote:
    I guess its because I am soo used to driving a Focus! Its just that too me it seems high when just cruising along. Also the feckin thing is drinking petrol at same time. I knew it would be more thirsty than my Focus but at this rate I will have to fill the tank twice a week!

Based on the top speed of the MX-5 close to 4,000 rpm in sixth at 120kph sounds about right. I wouldn't be too worried. It isn't really an ideal car for motorway cruising, better for back roads.

As regards petrol, I used to get around 24mpg out of mine.

To somewhat contradict my earlier post, revving it hard will reduce petrol consumption so if you are concerned about petrol consumption don't rev it too hard! ;)

Based on the top speed of the MX-5 close to 4,000 rpm in sixth at 120kph sounds about right. I wouldn't be too worried. It isn't really an ideal car for motorway cruising, better for back roads.

As regards petrol, I used to get around 24mpg out of mine.

To somewhat contradict my earlier post, revving it hard will reduce petrol consumption so if you are concerned about petrol consumption don't rev it too hard! ;)

Hmmmm, planning a trip to Galway and I have to go to a wedding in Offaly shortly! Not sure whether to take the MX5 or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Aw you have to take the mx5, you cant buy a great car like that and not take it on long trips :p Long trips are so boring in other cars once youve driven a car like that, plus if its nice weather, theres nothing better then long topless drives!

If it's a 1.8i with 6 gears (lucky SOB, I'm stuck with 5 ;) ), you should get:
    _around 28-30 mpg in combined cycle (country + town)
    _around 37-40 on long m'way trips
    _the 24-25 mpg figure above sounds about right for urban-only

I'm basing this on my own (1.8i), with 4 years' ownership, getting on avg 240 miles to the tank (45 liters), mostly Dublin commuting.

4k revs for 120 kph sounds about right (though I'm doing about that in 5th on mine, probably a question of different gearbox ratios since you have 1 more), don't worry about it.

It's been said and posted enough before, Jap cars are notoriously rev-happy compared to European/US cars. Keep it between 2k and 4k revs and that's pretty much the ideal operating zone for the engine, and "shake the dust off" sometimes with a little 6k (particularly if an [insert other convert' here] nearby gets annoying :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

nice girls car. i presume it for your wife?

joc_06 wrote:
    nice girls car. i presume it for your wife?

what do you drive, manly man? A giant shopping troll...ooops, sorry, SUV? [not a double post]

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:
    what do you drive, manly man? A giant shopping troll...ooops, sorry, SUV? [not a double post]

I'd say joc_06 is probably a barry boy
    :D

prospect wrote:
    I'd say joc_06 is probably a barry boy
    :D

Without Googlin' first... what's one of them, then? :confused: (I take it it's ever-so-slightly defamatory, fah' sure, but still... call my question natural curiosity / personal edification :D )

yes im a barry boy??
    i drive a 406 coupe, i know little about cars apart from what looks good and feels comfy/reliable and so i drive my car.
    a few people in my area drive the car pictured above. 2 are girls the other two are 30 something, fat balding guys with goatees who always sunglasses. Look like twins. Sometimes the pull up in the local garage and pop each others hoods. Somethings not right with that.
    Id have those small merc coupe's in the above class too

My 55 year old mother had a 406 Coupe.
    Whats your point!

does that make it a car for only 55yr old mothers so?? i like it and thats all that counts. well the compliments i get every day help a bit too but i dont really care what ppl think.

my point is i think the car pic'ed above is a girly car cas its a bit on the small side and well a bit on the girly side. do you drive one?

So...well...a Pug :rolleyes: (I was expecting you to drive a motor with *some* class, to come up with such bollotox)

Ah well, not convertible, so what would you know ;)

EDIT:
    joc_06 wrote:
    does that make it a car for only 55yr old mothers so??

Does that make the MX-5 a car only for girls or balding 30-somethings so?? :D:p

joc_06 wrote:
    does that make it a car for only 55yr old mothers so??

I didn't say that at all. I am getting at your stupid worthless post calling the MX a girls car because you know two girls who drive them. So by your rationale, the 406 Coupe is a 55yo Mothers car.

I own an MX5, and obviously, drove the 406 coupe alot aswell, (Which, incidently, was voted PRETTIEST car of the year when it was launched).
    I like the coupe, i thought it was comfortable, and spacious. I also think it looks great, and still is one of the best looking coupes around.
    But the MX5 is a drivers car. It is much more responsive, handle 100 times better.

If i oned one of each (which would be a pretty nice place to be), I would the Coupe for long journeys and going to/from work. But for sheer driving pleasure, and fun the MX5 wins hands down.

So, unless you have an experienced, informed, intelligent comment to make. Keep your daft opinions to yourself please.

P.S. I personally met 7 people who own MX5's, plus the OP, plus myself, plus the 'two fat' blokes you know is Eleven, plus another approx 15 people in the MX5 club is Twenty Six and they are ALL MALE. How does that effect your statistics?

so only ppl with class cars have opinions?
    and my car is gorgeous. show it to you sometime and you'll agree.
    and no the car is girly cas its girly. like an a3, reno megane coupe, ford fiesta etc.
    you might not agree with me now but someday you'll be driving a proper car and spot one of these and you'll totally agree.
    reminds me of the episode of friends when ross got his little sports convertible but then some old guy pulled up beside him in the same car and said "How cool are we?". remember?

but anyway thats only my opinion and i know nothing about cars

no prospect the reason its girly is plain and simple imo. its girly. i cant define that. its got nothing to do with the 2 girls i know who drive one. its my opinion.

and theres a club for these? well i spose that makes it manly then. do ye pop each others hoods?

• Advertisement

joc_06 wrote:
    so only ppl with class cars have opinions?

Nope - but an opinionated (bordering on trolling) stance can only invite opinionated stances in reply, so why be surprised?
    and my car is gorgeous. show it to you sometime and you'll agree.

Doubt that in the extreme. I've test-driven the 3.0 V6, expecting miraculous things to happen... and whilst the torque and noise were extremely enjoyable, and it was reasonably well-mannered on the road, it was just not a driver's car and that was that.
    you might not agree with me now but someday you'll be driving a proper car and spot one of these and you'll totally agree.

My other car is a Scooby Impreza (2.0 Sports) - that 'proper' (or 'blokey' should I say) enough for you? :rolleyes:

In enjoy driving the Maz' a 100 times over the Scoob'. Something to do with 'convertible' and 'RWD'. Would be somewhat difficult for ye. Oh well, you've still got aircon I suppose :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement