Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally!! .....My MX5!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

joc_06, Read the posts before you go rabbiting on with your half informed rubbish.
    joc_06 wrote:
    so only ppl with class cars have opinions?
    I didn't say that.
    joc_06 wrote:
    and my car is gorgeous. show it to you sometime and you'll agree.
    I didn't say it wasn't, infact the opposite.
    joc_06 wrote:
    you might not agree with me now but someday you'll be driving a proper car and spot one of these and you'll totally agree.
    Have you driven an MX, obviously not. You are judging the car and its ability on how you think it looks. I have driven both cars, and although i like the Coupe, and find it a far better car than alot i have driven, the MX5 beats it hands down for drivability.

So please do not draw comparisons between cars when you have no knowledge of one or both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

tbh drivin fast aint my thing. if it was id not be drivin a 406. but it is truly gorgeous. in my yard theres everything from beemers to mercs to saabs and mine still gets all the comments over coffee.
    I think we re on abt 2 differnt things here. you think fast cars are nice regardless what they look like and i think certain cars are nice regardless whether they are fast.
    I mean the impreza is one the ugliest cars goin but it is a mans car. saying that a nice bird drivin one looks so hot...
    think we'll beg to differ. safe drivin. dont wrap yourself around a tree in your fast car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

im not comparing anything to anything prospect. im stating my opinion that the car is a girly car.
    i was asked what i drive so i told ye.

and because im half informed does that not make me the perfect judge of aesthetics because i judge a car on looks alone?
    you implied my 406 is old girls car, i never said you thought it was ugly.
    mate your not even readin my posts.
    and whats a barry boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

joc_06 wrote:
    tbh drivin fast aint my thing. if it was id not be drivin a 406. but it is truly gorgeous. in my yard theres everything from beemers to mercs to saabs and mine still gets all the comments over coffee.
    I think we re on abt 2 differnt things here. you think fast cars are nice regardless what they look like and i think certain cars are nice regardless whether they are fast.
    I mean the impreza is one the ugliest cars goin but it is a mans car. saying that a nice bird drivin one looks so hot...
    think we'll beg to differ. safe drivin. dont wrap yourself around a tree in your fast car

:confused:

Who said anything about driving fast? If by that you imply that when we refer to a car being "a drivers' car " we mean to 'drive fast', you've got that completely wrong I'm afraid. It's an experience thing which is particularly hard to describe in words, but has nothing to do with breaking the sound barrier :cool:

You're 406 is probably faster on motorway than either my MX or my Scoob, anyway, so what gives?

All the same, happy motoring to you too (you'll have to tell me where 'the office' is, so I can park in there and steal the show :D )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's all about perception.

Lots of people who admit knowing nothing about cars might consider the MX5 plus most other soft-top roadsters - "girlie".

On the other hand, lots of people who know about cars and driving consider the same cars to be "drivers" cars.

The question is - whose opinion do you value? :confused:

IMO the answer to that is whichever group you belong to.

• Advertisement

Deciding upon whether a car is 'girly' or 'manly' is machismo, really... :rolleyes:

The only car I'd ever qualify as 'girly' is Penelope Pitstop's :D

I said it was a 'drivers car' it didn't say it was fast, because its not.
    I didn't say the Coupe was an Old girls car.

Please stop mis-quoting me, and READ my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

*post edited to stop stuppid debate*

Nice mx5 btw ;)

Listen all, this is getting rough, mostly my fault.

But the thread is about the OPs new car, which he is particularly proud of. And i think that posts like this:
    joc_06 wrote:
    nice girls car. i presume it for your wife?
    Are, non constructive, and a waste of time.

Fine alot of people think the MX has the hairdresser image, but unless you have driven one, don't bother wasting your time assuming its drivability is in any way related to your 'opinion' of how it looks.
    The Fiat Multipla, in my opinion, looks crap. But, I did have the oppertunity to drive one, and it was brilliant, but thats another days discussion.

So any way, lets drop this please.
    **Hand out to joc_06**
    Shake on a difference of opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The only reason little "howya" scangers consider them womens cars is because for a long time only women could afford the insurance on them. Its still the case with any fast, or big engined car.

I have seen tonnes of men drive them, actually more so than women. I have seen more women drive Micras and 206's but that doesn't mean there aint men driving them too.

Get real and grow up.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    I said it was a 'drivers car' it didn't say it was fast, because its not.

But it is, prospect, it is... ;) - though it gets scary at the top end, granted, even on the dry.

ambro25 wrote:
    But it is, prospect, it is... ;) - though it gets scary at the top end, granted, even on the dry.

Well I am speaking from the 'untouched by enthusiasts hands' perspective.
    But that'll all change this week end :D

135m/210k-ish (speedo - look at bottom right);)

Once only and never again :o - but she enjoyed it and so did I (I think). The dutch guy in the Elise had a long face, tho' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

prospect wrote:
    Well I am speaking from the 'untouched by enthusiasts hands' perspective.
    But that'll all change this week end :D

heh heh - getting your fingers dirty then ? You know the way Mazda have those cars on 15,000 mile service intervals (or is it 12,000 ?) - watch out, because mine was on 9,000m intervals ('96 1.8) and I started changing the oil at 6,000m very early on. Lo and behold the car loved having its oil changed "early". Seems to me that if I notice such a difference, then the car does too. I have since changed to 3,000 mile intervals and that seems the best compromise. I use Magnatec 10w-40, which is a good semi-synth. Just something to think about...

BTW I'll be bringing the Triumph to the tech-day on Saturday - it needs more stuff done than my '5 does (I wonder should I start wearing chest-wigs, gold-chains and Bodie-and-Doyle curly hair since we are generalising driver stereotypes ? :D

franksm wrote:
    BTW I'll be bringing the Triumph to the tech-day on Saturday - it needs more stuff done than my '5 does (I wonder should I start wearing chest-wigs, gold-chains and Bodie-and-Doyle curly hair since we are generalising driver stereotypes ? :D

:D:D LOL :D:D

On a very serious note:
    FECK, i though the tech day was Sunday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

What a laughable troll. Obviously jelousy rearing its head :rolleyes: Its so silly people falling back on such a silly comment, it being girly, to down a car. Sure peugot is an alright car, but honestly could it be anymore boring then ever other coupe that copies each other in the styling. Wouldnt you love to just throw people like that the keys for two seconds to show them exactly what their missing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Funxy wrote:
    What a laughable troll. Obviously jelousy rearing its head :rolleyes: Its so silly people falling back on such a silly comment, it being girly, to down a car. Sure peugot is an alright car, but honestly could it be anymore boring then ever other coupe that copies each other in the styling. Wouldnt you love to just throw people like that the keys for two seconds to show them exactly what their missing ;)
    You can throw them my way if you want ;)

Funxy wrote:

I wouldn't give my keys to anyone like that, you would never see it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I don't consider the 406 coupe one of Pininfarina's better styling efforts.

If I drew up a list of the top 100 best styled cars, I doubt if I'd put the 406 coupe on it.

Haha good point, and my bad point made ;) I would never give my keys to anyone anyway. Noone drives my baby but me! Guess theyll have to steal dealers keys instead to see what its like :p

• Advertisement

ANYWAY!!!! Back to me and my MX5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can I tell if the battery in my car needs replacing? The car is a 99D that is a jap import. I checked the battery and it has japenese writing on it but I am not sure if its the original battery or not as its actually looks new. It could have been replaced before leaving Japan.

But me uncle isn't happy with the noise coming from the engine when I turn it on. Its a hesitant chuggah chuggah and then it kicks in.

Would a new battery solve this or is it even a problem? If so, what should I be looking out for battery wise for a 99D 1.8 MX5 (jap import)

Thanks

Its all you you you :p Hehe i dont have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't consider the 406 coupe one of Pininfarina's better styling efforts

I do but - I feel the 406 coupe is a stunner! Very good looking indeed! Go on and admire with me the decades old Peugeot tradition of their coupes: stunning design and looks but underneath nothing more than a common denominator A to B vehicle, i.e. it's a very basic motor. Surely Peugeot have to recoup the designer costs of hiring the Italian hotshots so they charge an enormous premium. It seems to work for them and, I suppose, we get to see some nice looking cars in return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

py2006 wrote:
    ANYWAY!!!! Back to me and my MX5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can I tell if the battery in my car needs replacing? The car is a 99D that is a jap import. I checked the battery and it has japenese writing on it but I am not sure if its the original battery or not as its actually looks new. It could have been replaced before leaving Japan.

But me uncle isn't happy with the noise coming from the engine when I turn it on. Its a hesitant chuggah chuggah and then it kicks in.

Would a new battery solve this or is it even a problem? If so, what should I be looking out for battery wise for a 99D 1.8 MX5 (jap import)

Thanks
    One thing to check on MX-5's, is the spark plug leads. Because of the way they're routed over the engine block they get very hot and can begin to fail quite early on in their lives. Usually manifests itself as a slight hesitance in the engine at idle and low revs although it could also be causing what you're seeing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

py2006 wrote:
    How can I tell if the battery in my car needs replacing?
    Buy yourself a battery charger/tester (I bought one a couple of weeks ago for about €35).

That way you shouldn't have to worry about a flat battery again. You can leave it charging if you away for a while, and it should also tell you if your battery is not fully charging.

I like 406 coupes BTW. Though I think I'd like one of the ones that won the Paris Dakkar Rally from '87 to '90 thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like 406 coupes BTW. Though I think I'd like one of the ones that won the Paris Dakkar Rally from '87 to '90 thanks very much.

Ari's momo :)

pic123.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Congrats on your new car. I'm sure all the other staff in Peter Marks are dead jealous.

unkel wrote:
    Ari's momo

Wasn't that a 405, though?

magpie wrote:
    Congrats on your new car. I'm sure all the other staff in Peter Marks are dead jealous.

Another imbred scanger scumbag with too many tracksuits and ridiculously over-sized rings on all his fingers!

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote:
    Another imbred scanger scumbag with too many tracksuits and ridiculously over-sized rings on all his fingers!

Hmmm, I thought so myself, but today is Friday :D and I just couldn't be bothered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement