Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally!! .....My MX5!!!!!!!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

trolling

Can I ask someone to give me an exact description of trolling please?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ambro25 wrote:
    Wasn't that a 405, though?
    As yes - twas.

Still, 406 or 405, the PD Rally version probably bears about as much resemblance to the road car as a Cinquecento.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One thing I always used to notice in Holland when driving along the motorways with the top down was that when a car passed by with parents and a couple of kids the parents would just be looking straight ahead, or would give you a snidey (jealous) sideways look, whereas the kids would be turning round and waving and smiling! I always gave them a quick flick of the headlamps with the switch on the dash which seemed to amuse them:)

I was a member of an MX-5 owners' club there too, and when we went on our club outings en-masse, kids would gather by the side of the roads to wave at the convoy going by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

prospect wrote:
    Can I ask someone to give me an exact description of trolling please?

Please, Sir, pick me, pick me...

"Posting outside the remit of the topic of the thread, but with the manifest intent of provoking a (negative) reaction from the posters interested in following the topic of the thread."

How'd I do? :)

Alun, I can second and triple that, my MX5 has always been a huge success with kids. I think it's probably because the MX-5 (to a kid) looks like a big Dinky Toy car, as opposed to more 'mundane' motors... Hey, py2006, after nearly a week of ownership, what's your take about it? :)

Feck :eek: ,

I am impressed.

Respect :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

WoW

You can impress women with your car, why not try using your personality to impress women. By the way, the majority of girls know nothing about cars.

Oh, sorry, kids too. Im sure the kids know what they are talking about. Face it, the MX is girls car. Get something like an Audi Quattro, a Cossie or a BMW 7series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Stix wrote:
    WoW
    You can impress women with your car, why not try using your personality to impress women. By the way, the majority of girls know nothing about cars.

Oh, sorry, kids too. Im sure the kids know what they are talking about. Face it, the MX is girls car. Get something like an Audi Quattro, a Cossie or a BMW 7series.

This has nothing do do with cars. You need to post in the personal issues forum. Why I need a "big" powerful car. etc.

What has a BMW7 got in common with a Mx5 or either a Quattro or a Cossie. For the love of mike none of thems even a convertible. The running costs would astronomical, not to mention insurance even if you could find a clean example of any of those cars. Two of them are Rally cars!!!

Why spam the thread with junk? :rolleyes:

...erm - in case Stix directed that at me (my, you just never know these days), I don't need (or feel the need) to impress anyone and certainly not 'girls' , as I have been happily married for 9 years and celebrating 12 years of joyful co-existence with my better half this very week-end. Call me when you get there... ;)

...if ever, considering that you believe that:
    Stix wrote:
    By the way, the majority of girls know nothing about cars. Oh, sorry, kids too.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure female readers of the thread will be delighted at your sweeping generalisations... But then again,
    Stix wrote:
    Face it, the MX is girls car. Get something like an Audi Quattro, a Cossie or a BMW 7series.

given the puerility of this post, maybe you're right - kids know nothing about cars...pity *in some cases* they're allowed to post :D

Back to the topic - Alun, my main man, did you catch my request for further info re. sparkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ambro25 wrote:
    celebrating 12 years of joyful co-existence with my better half this very week-end. Call me when you get there... ;)

Congrats :)

nearly there myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

Ah nevermind.

If its girls cars y'all like , then so be it.

Im glad ur happy.

• Advertisement

Stix wrote:
    Ah nevermind.

If its girls cars y'all like , then so be it.

Im glad ur happy.

I think/hope that you mean to say,

Its a girls car, in YOUR opinion!

Trolls smell... Frodo said that ;)

ambro25 wrote:
    Alun - what to check, specifically, please? That they're burned/heat-discoloured?
    My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the outer insulation got damaged which resulted in sparking to earth. This results in uneven firing at low revs, but once you get the revs up it's not so noticeable.I think one lead in particular (number1?) wa particularly prone to problems.

Other theories involve the fact that the wells that the plugs sit in are quite deep and can act as moisture traps causing a similar phenomenon. There's usually not much to see on the wire itself physically, but a lot of people I knew in the MX-5 club I was a member of swore by replacing their plug leads on a regular basis. Maybe an expensive set of after-market leads might last a little longer.

My own car which I bought in about 1998 was a 1995 model, but the leads were shot on there already. After replacing them it was like driving a new car!

Well! Sounds like I definitively got to haul my ass over to a Tech day, then... :)

My bottom-end & idle revs are regular enough, but I'm concerned about a ticking noise (proportional to throttle if you get what I mean by that) during engine warm-up, about 5 mins after cold start and lasting about 10 mins. I've checked with main dealers aplenty already, but all have told me it's normal... :confused:

ambro25 wrote:
    Well! Sounds like I definitively got to haul my ass over to a Tech day, then... :)

My bottom-end & idle revs are regular enough, but I'm concerned about a ticking noise (proportional to throttle if you get what I mean by that) during engine warm-up, about 5 mins after cold start and lasting about 10 mins. I've checked with main dealers aplenty already, but all have told me it's normal... :confused:
    Probably, valve lifter noise ... quite common. The old model MX-5's have hydraulic adjusters on the valve lifters in which there's an oil passage that's often a little out of spec size-wise. This results in some of them taking a bit of time to get "pumped up" as it were. Some people swear by using (thinner) synthetic oils as a cure, but really as long as it goes away after a few minutes there's nothing to worry about. Mine did it too :)

Thank you very much for that. Just as a precautionary measure, and for future reference, what if the noise doesn't (go off)?

ambro25 wrote:
    Thank you very much for that. Just as a precautionary measure, and for future reference, what if the noise doesn't (go off)?
    Some people say they have got an improvement by using various kinds of "snake-oil" type engine cleaners, you know, the stuff you put in your engine oil, presumably thinking that the oil passages in the adjusters had somehow got bunged up with something or the other. I've heard of people getting the hydraulic adjusters replaced too, although that sounds expensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

At last! Back to talking seriously about the car.

Guys do me a favour, if them idiots start trolling this thread again, PLEASE IGNORE!!

I want to keep this thread to all things MX5 if at all possible

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Enough enough enough! This thread has gone from tolerable to a waste of bandwidth.

A few of you here are right pissing me off. This thread is closed.

py2006 if you want to start a fresh thread about something specific with regard to your car then feel free.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement