Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The films released lately are crap.

• 14-05-2005 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭

Not one film in the past motnh or two has managed to intice my from my slumber and into the cinema. I mean i would not mind going to see the odd one but nothing has really jumped out at me and said come see me.

Is it usually this quiet. I know america holds its big releases for the summer so this must be the lean period,before we get the USA summer blockbusters in early autumn.

Just to note i am not a star wars movie fan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Try the more arty cinemas - they've got some good stuff going around at the moment. Then again, i have no idea what your tastes are so you might not agree!

If it's really all that bad, take the time to see some classic DVDs!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well the US market is in agreement with you somewhat - box office receipts have been down on last year for the last eleven consecutive weeks. Personally, I'm finding the more interesitng movies residing in the smaller-run flicks, such as 'Downfall', 'Garden State', 'Mean Creek', and a few others. If you can, check this sort of movie out rather than the latest Will Smith vehicle or J-Lo pap.

FWIW, these months are generally meant to be the drier months as Hollywood gears up for summer season, which was meant to have been intiated with 'Kingdom of Heaven', although Episode III will be what really kicks it off. We'll see how it progresses but we may yet (fingers crossed) get some decent mainstream Hollywood flicks (please don't fail me 'Batman Begins').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

simu wrote:
    Try the more arty cinemas - they've got some good stuff going around at the moment. Then again, i have no idea what your tastes are so you might not agree!

If it's really all that bad, take the time to see some classic DVDs!

They good old classic dvds. Going to go to xtra vision a bit more often i think.

Anybody know whats the funny tennie comedy movie out this year. I am talking along the lines of old school, american pie etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Garden State? Hitchhikers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Garden State, I loved it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Hitchhikers. Um, I didn't really enjoy it, but seeing it was essential due to a wish to discuss the film with friends.

I've been to the cinema quite a bit lately, but not much really appealed to me, was more of an alternative to the pub kind of thing.

Looking forward to Sin City with much interest. Eps III appeals to an extent, will see it during the week when the cinemas are quieter.

• Advertisement

The fils i most enjoy are true stories. I mean good ones. Perfect strom , A night to remenber, Not titantic, Patch adams etc. A ggod comedy for the laughs and action adventure films as well. i dont like horror movies at all.

I am tired now so i am going to bed to watch " Faheriheit 9/11"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think he meant not Patch Adams. I hope. He's not a patch on Gerry Adams.

Some other films i've seen in the last month or two which I think were enjoyable,

House of Flying Daggers - arty
    Life Aquatic - Arty and Comedic
    Melinda and Melinda - Arty and Comedic
    Harold and Kumar - It was funny, admit it.
    The Machinist - Good but lost it's edge because I'd seen Memento and Fight club

Patch adam is the one with Robin Wiliams in it. Or i am so tired i dont realise what i am typing. Thats what you get for staying up till 3am.

You did or didn't like 'Patch Adam's?

Kevin most of the films you mentioned there are not mainstream Hollywood flicks which I imagine is the original poster's problems - they have to often seen in either an arthouse cinema or one of the bigger 'plexes, such as UGC.

• Advertisement

Really Ixoy? TBH, i was speaking from the point of view that everyone lives in dublin and has access to the UGC. Happens too much on boards. sorry.

I do it all the time too Kevin. I just noticed the original poster is in Mayo. If he's in Dublin though, I've a lot less sympathy :)

ixoy wrote:
    You did or didn't like 'Patch Adam's?

Kevin most of the films you mentioned there are not mainstream Hollywood flicks which I imagine is the original poster's problems - they have to often seen in either an arthouse cinema or one of the bigger 'plexes, such as UGC.

i was starting to panic there ioxy as i was wondering how you knew my name and then i seen the poster called kevin above me.

Heard good things about the Life aquatic but missed it in the cinema so i waiting for xtra vision to get a hold of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

y'know mayo doesnt have a bad selection of films all considering,
    ballina cineplex: downfall*, hotel rwanda*, robots+, hitchhikers guide+
    ballina film club: bad education^
    linenhall arts centre: story of the weeping camel*
    mayo movie world/westport cineplex:downfall*, friday night lights, interpreter

*based on true story/documentary
    +light hearted comedy
    ^arthouse

its maybe my laziness i suppose and my phobia of going to the cinema on my own.it feels werid. thats been keeping me from the cinema lately but ill try and get back into.

I did enjoy patch adams. I had a family menber die in hospital and they are quite dperessing so thats wny i enjoyed that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I've been quite satisfied cinema-wise recently. That said, I suppose I may not go as regularly as others. But now I do feel I slight gap, with Episode 3 behind me and Sin City the next film I want to see. Hopefully something will pop up in before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I was going to agree with original poster about the lack of interesting movies out recently. But then I realised that in the past month, I'v seen Kingdom of Heaven, The Machinist, Hitchhikers and Garden State. All of which I really enjoyed.
    I think my initial reaction was due to the fact that there were soooo many good movies out in Feb/March (Ray, Million Dollar Baby, Aviator, Life Aquatic, Team America, Fockers (okay not great but I enjoyed it) etc..) and now there is a little bit of a lull before the summer season starts. Can't wait for Star Wars, Sin City, Fantasic Four and Batman Begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

The Machinist was brilliant, sure, it wasn't a great date movie but I'd say in years to come it will be still appreciated.

Advertisement