Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MFT Corruption, NTUSER.DAT and firefox hacks

• 15-05-2005 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭

Have many people experiences Master File Table corruption with windows XP in the past? I work as a sysadmin and its a damn pain in the ass, even with attempted MFT rebuilds the machine will refuse to boot correctly, although mounting the partition under linux seemed have most files there... which i found strange. Managed to disk dump the harddrive for a backup as there was an encypted directory which i needed to recover.

Another pain is when IE And firefox stop working do to, either NTUSER.DAT corruption or just a screw up somewhere in the local user hive in the registry. Copying the repair directories NTUSER.DAT over is handy enough but its a pain cause the end user looses all there settings. Can be a pain in the ass if someone has oracle or similar set up on there machine...

Anyone shared these experiences?

Working on my mac at the moment after a tiger install and just playing with the internals of firefox, do many people alter their about::config settings to speed up firefox at all? Makes a massive difference on a LAN.

Interesting mix of question...!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oddly enough I still prefer FAT32 for the OS partition. Ok it's not a stable as NTFS but it tends to be a lot easier to fix - so I'd reckon less down time overal. Data / Apps are fine on NTFS once you can get into the OS again.

Corrupt profiles / reg getting trashed - same old, same old

Advertisement