Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre-amp for headphones help

Options
  • 15-05-2005 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend me an in-line headphones amp and where to get one (not online)? i got a pair of spectacularly good sennheiser hd495 open back headphones today and the sound quality is superb, but i find that my creative zen can't blast them sufficiently, the sound isnt as loud i like it to be. i've heard of in line things that run off a battery and boost the sound, there's one called a boosteroo or something. can anyone help? much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

DO you want to deafen yourself?!

Sorry I can't help, but I'm shocked you want it louder. unless there is a problem with your Zen.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you have the european firmware on your Zen the max volume can be quite low because of EU regulations. It is possible to put the American firmware on it and have a higher max volume.

Have a look here : http://www.nomadness.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12259

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

na it's not like a case of deafening myself, it's just not very loud at all. trust me i'm a music quality not loudness kinda guy :D . i ordered my zen from the states so thats not the problem and i have the same problem on my pc. i did a bit of research and found out its a common problem with crappy amps or portable devices when you want to use a set of proper cans. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It seems a lot of people are in the same boat as you. These 'phones are very inefficient and need the drive of a good amp to get the best from them. I think it's just a case of the wrong 'phones for the job TBH. Maybe the best thing to do is get another set for portable listening and use these at home.

There are portable battery powered amps available but I'd be reluctand to add the extra bulk just to drive these phones, this is one I found. They're not cheap either, some amps of this type were as dear as 400 dollars !!!!

Aside from this what about the people sitting near to you on the bus, they may not be best pleased with your taste in music ! ;)

ZEN

flipping 'ell! that's muchos expensiveo! i reckon i'll bring them back and get a similar quality set of phones that are more low power input friendly. i was thinking of sennheiser px100's or sennheiser px60's. anyone got any experience with either of these? will peats change these phones for me do ya think? the ones i have now are still in the box and i have the receipt, they're perfect, wouldnt know they've been used. and it's just a straight swap in monetary terms for the px 100s

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote:

Aside from this what about the people sitting near to you on the bus, they may not be best pleased with your taste in music ! ;)

ZEN
    but i don't know anyone who wouldn't like oldskool drum and bass, aphex twin or autechre being blasted at them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I've had PX100's for over a year now.
    Love them, they sound great, are really comfortable, not too expensive and they are neat and tidy. I use them with my mp3 player, which I use everyday.
    Well worth the money.

Advertisement