Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last day...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its gotta be Moyes :)

That said,
    GWAN THE ROBBO

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's some achievement for WBA, fair play to them, but I really wanted them to go down. Could never stand Robson as a player and I don't like him any better now. I actually wanted Norwich to stay up, but you can't expect to stay up if you roll over and die like they did.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:

Manager of the year - Bryan Robson

Mike.

This is very possible. He has turned things around so much since he has taken over.

zaph wrote:
    I actually wanted Norwich to stay up, but you can't expect to stay up if you roll over and die like they did.

Also the fact that they did not win one away game all season did not help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Delighted for Robbo and Richardson. LOL @ the Portsmouth fans celebrating losing because it sent Southampton down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2742387&postcount=15
    West Brom are 5/1 with Ladbrokes to stay up. Personally I think this is massive value.

Norwich: no away win all season + huge pressure vs Fulham, decent at home and who played very well last week vs Blackburn. Coleman won't let them roll over. Verdict: Draw

Southampton: Crouch is a massive loss, they are going to have play completly different to the way they have been playing the last 6 months. Utd, even a dodgy team will be good enough to get a draw. Players playing to try get into the cup might just give them the incentive. Verdict: Man Utd win

Palace: Charlton on a horrible run however could give one last big effort infront of the home fans. Palace could very well win however I have a feeling they rue letting in that last minute goal vs Southampton. Palace feeling the presure. Verdict: Draw

West Brom: No team has ever been bottom at Christmas and stayed up.....until now. The force is with Albion. Penalty at Old Trafford, results going for them in other games, it just seems all set up for them. The easiest game of the lot, Portsmouth fans will be cheering them on too. Verdict: West Brom Win

As Palace could possibly get a win vs Charlton will be putting a hedge bet on with them at 3/1 with Boylesports.

Get In There, €220 in the pocket. Thank you that man Fortune, also celebrated a Man Utd goal for the first time ever today, have to take a shower - I feel so dirty.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Leonard wrote:
    Also the fact that they did not win one away game all season did not help.

True. I only wanted them to stay up because they were best of a bad lot, not because I've any particular fondness for them. I'm especially happy that Southampton have finally gone. How they managed to stay in that division that long is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

What happened in the Man City Middlesboro game, because according to SkyLive Nicky Weaver and David James were both on the pitch for 7 minutes :confused:

I think James was fouled for the penalty as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

also celebrated a Man Utd goal for the first time ever today, have to take a shower - I feel do dirty.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Nicky Weaver went in goal and David James went up front :)

Pires, Reyes and Henry were all missing from the Arsenal squad today, if they're injured the final will be a non-event...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Does that make Crystal Palace the most relegated team from the premiership ever? :) Oh well... might get promoted again next season.

Pires, Reyes and Henry were all missing from the Arsenal squad today, if they're injured the final will be a non-event...

Rested more likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaC wrote:
    crap Gera not going anywhere now.

stupid WBA noone wanted them to stay up :(

kdjac

Speak for yourself, g'wan the West Brom.

Very good ending to Gillette Soccer Special on SSN. All the highs and lows of the season.

So how many weeks till the new season guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Leonard wrote:

LOL suffering from cold turkey already !!!

Regi wrote:
    Does that make Crystal Palace the most relegated team from the premiership ever? :) Oh well... might get promoted again next season.

Oh well, at least they hold a record.

Leonard wrote:
    Very good ending to Gillette Soccer Special on SSN. All the highs and lows of the season.

13 I think, bloody summer. They should stretch the league out and give more rest days between games. That way the league could run continuosly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

saturdays are so weird without football.

anyway im off to the gaa board for 13 weeks, seeya in august!

Leonard wrote:
    Rested more likely
    Pires and Reyes maybe, not sure why Henry would be rested seeing as he's only played 45 minutes in about 5 weeks... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Norwichs defence was laughable. If I saw Under 11s play like that Id tell them they were crap. Its funny though, because they started well, and Ashtons 'goal' shouldnt have been ruled out, and they had one or two legit penalty shouts.

Fair play to WBA, cheerio Southampton, and commiserations to Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

saturdays are so weird without football.

anyway im off to the gaa board for 13 weeks, seeya in august!
    Why not get into your local EL club? They could do with your support!

Same too all you summer-hating-armchair-fans! There's fantastic football on your doorstep, or maybe a 15 minute bus ride away, why not enjoy it?

[/rant]

WBA and S'oton the two teams I wanted to go down, I suppose 50% success rate isn't too bad. Credit to them though, they were lucky with the other results, by I'm happy for Robson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

zaph wrote:
    True. I only wanted them to stay up because they were best of a bad lot, not because I've any particular fondness for them.
    They were far from the best of the bottom 4. -35 goal difference compared to Palace's and Soton's -21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    There's fantastic football on your doorstep, or maybe a 15 minute bus ride away, why not enjoy it?

can some move this to the humour board? :)

as regards the final weekend, im delighted for Bryan Robson really, hes proved hes not such a bad manager after all. Credit to Gera and Richardson, they have both been excellent for WBA this season.

Same too all you summer-hating-armchair-fans! There's fantastic football on your doorstep, or maybe a 15 minute bus ride away, why not enjoy it?
    I don't think anyone would consider West Ham's brand of football 'fantastic' :p

That was directed at the Irish contingent of "fans" (Still living in Ireland - I take it you're living in England, by the sounds of it) who support only English football.

Besides, West Ham won't be playing the next 3 months will they? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

why fans in quotation marks?

just as an aside, i got myself a bang of a belt buckle in town last nite. and guess who i was jumpin in to help:

Kevin Hunt

some fool was having a right go at him at the Nitelink stops on D'Olier Street. takes off his belt and starts swinging it at Kev. Ridiculous behaviour. Turned out he was a locked shams fan. Hunt was pretty shaken up. Decent guy.

Why not get into your local EL club? They could do with your support!

Why, is the dodgy cigarette market not what it used to be?

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

anywhere i can get a chart showing prem team positions over the course of the season? Specifically the top and bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'll have to go ruiting for Pigman's quote a couple of weeks ago. Nobody can argue that they don't support EL football because of the quality of football. Considering the "big event" premiership/european matches get 10 times the pages than two of the best footballing teams in Europe (AZ and Sporting).

For example:
    "I love relegation battle" - Its hardly because its a better quality of football than your average premiership match.

You can make all the excuses in the world and make yourselves believe what you want but not watching Eircom league football has nothing to do with the quality of football being played.

Feck it, I just put it up cuz someone was giving out about there being no football (assumedly, perhaps mistakenly, on TV) for 13 weeks. Nevermind. Close your eyes and turn on the tv, maybe they'll replay the same EPL game for the entire summer.
    At least my original post about it still had relevance to the point in this thread, the relegation battle, I was merely making a suggestion. There's no point posting just to make "hillarious" comments about the EL. Has anyone told you you're really funny little men?

Anywho, this is probably best for another thread, as I said, it all stemmed from a suggestion.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'll have to go ruiting for Pigman's quote a couple of weeks ago. Nobody can argue that they don't support EL football because of the quality of football. Considering the "big event" premiership/european matches get 10 times the pages than two of the best footballing teams in Europe (AZ and Sporting).

I don't get that.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    For example:
    "I love relegation battle" - Its hardly because its a better quality of football than your average premiership match.

If you are saying tha the EL is of the same standard as the bottom premiership teams I dont agree with you. IMO it is no higher that 2nd division in the uk and thats being generous.

The standard of football is not the only reason The EL is not supported as well as it might be , lets not forget the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Pires and Reyes maybe, not sure why Henry would be rested seeing as he's only played 45 minutes in about 5 weeks... :(
    Henry didn't look like he missed 5weeks on Wednesday. I don't really care about the result tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pires wasn't rested, he was dropped.
    Henry isn't 100% fit yet, and Wenger might have rested him to let him just train back to fitness.
    I really really hope Bergkamp isn't playing, so I hope Henry is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

At the other end of the table, I expect Boro to jam a draw at Citeh and Spurs to bag a hatful in a valiant attempt to qualify for the UEFA Cup.

Norwich have to be favourites to stay up, Foolham can't be arsed today, can they? Baggies to win, Soton and Palarse to draw.

3 out of 6 ain't bad.

I was way off the chart with my Spurs prediction, and I wasn't even in the same universe for Fulham-Norwich.

That said, I did have money on WBA to stay up, so I'm pretty happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It will be strange having no soccer on over the summer. There is no Euro or World Cup either so it will be a strange summer.

You'd almost be sick of it at this stage anyway. Each season was running into each other in my mind.

There's fantastic football on your doorstep,!

Thats pushing it a bit. And before you start I've seen a lot of EL football and my dad used to play in the reserve league so I've watched most of the players that have come through over the last 20 years.

I don't think anyone would consider West Ham's brand of football 'fantastic' :p

Nobody would consider London a 15 minute bus ride away either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

People in London would, I would twice a month, believe it or not the internet has grown beyond it's origins in a dingy little den of filth in South Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And the soccer boards.ie winner is smuckers

Bang-on even about Brom, albeit with the wrong manager!

Well done :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah and City struggling, was that struggling to get a Uefa cup spot ?

Fair play on the 1-2-3

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Nobody would consider London a 15 minute bus ride away either.
    I'd consider it a 5 minute walk, but it's still not one i'm particularily arsed making :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Seriously.What was james doing upfront?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Seriously.What was james doing upfront?

Having a bit of a laugh i would presume! :)

What a day though. I am chuffed that West Brom stay up. Nice job from Robbo for sure!

James is 6Ft 5" and put himself about a bit. he won a few decent headers.

Just watching MOTD, Cisse's barber needs shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

What a final day! Unbelievable stuff from WBA, last at Christmas, last this morning and last at 10 to 4 I think Lineker said. Fair play to them. Will be very interesting to see what happens to Richardson now.

Jimmy Floyds goal was class, David James is the new Robbie Fowler. Or is Robbie Fowler the old David James? Im confused about that one. High drama in Manchester any which way. Looking forward to seeing more of Pearce as a manager though.

What about Norwich getting hammered? Hate that Delia.

Always funny to see Arsenal beaten :D . As always, the FA cup final is unmissable this year.

Now the attention turns to transfers and we have to console ourselves with championship manager once again ;) .

EDIT: Back to Dalymount park with me so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone got directions to Luton?

Roy Keane is a wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Joe, looks like I'm following you. I'm still at Norwich for a benefit match tonight and I was on Sky crying my eyes out at Craven Cottage. At least I got my claim to fame. Still, looking forward to another trip to St Marys and hopefully Ipswich will stay down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kensutz wrote:
    Joe, looks like I'm following you. I'm still at Norwich for a benefit match tonight and I was on Sky crying my eyes out at Craven Cottage. At least I got my claim to fame. Still, looking forward to another trip to St Marys and hopefully Ipswich will stay down too.

Any pics?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

of what?

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote:
    I was on Sky crying my eyes out at Craven Cottage. At least I got my claim to fame. .

Was that you they showed twice Once during the game and then again at the end?

Hard luck on the drop if you had started the season with the team you finished it with you would still be in the prem next season IMO.

Advertisement