Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password Protected Threads

Options
  • 15-05-2005 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering is it possible to have a password protected thread at all? The reason I ask is because in the case of me wanting to sell a 40ft Container, I would like to have all the information on one thread so I could send those who are interested in the container, to that thread.

I would want to post up some details about the container (where it is etc) that I wouldn't want every browser knowing. Details that I have to tell all people who are interested through PM. So it would be allot easier to just give them a password to a thread.

Basically I'd just like a normal for sale thread password protected to only those who have shown interest in my other thread.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

So like a rent a thread kind of thing!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Not exactly, just a way to password protect a thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

perhaps you could get your own temp private forum...and then give permission to people you want to view it. If they declare no interest you could revoke thier viewing rights to your forum

That sounds like allot of hassle for the mods though, they'd have to set it all up etc. Theres no way to do it at present no?

Wouldn't be any need to revoke permission I suppose, I just don't want everyone viewing the content.

I could always just host details somewhere else and PM those who are interested a password and they discuss it on the thread? Anywhere I could do that?

I think it would be a nice permanent feature on the site though.
    What's in "Hosted>Private" at the moment?

cormie wrote:
    That sounds like allot of hassle for the mods though, they'd have to set it all up etc. Theres no way to do it at present no?

Wouldn't be any need to revoke permission I suppose, I just don't want everyone viewing the content.

I could always just host details somewhere else and PM those who are interested a password and they discuss it on the thread? Anywhere I could do that?

I think it would be a nice permanent feature on the site though.
    What's in "Hosted>Private" at the moment?

Not sure if it is that much hassle for the Admins to create a private forum for you to sell your container. There are a heap of private forums in hosted>private as it is (forums like Pear Tree and pimp daddy and lusty ladies, etc). With a private forum all your own you can give people access and then when your container is sold you can get the forum deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Still trying to flog that 'shed' of yours....

Ebay ffs....

Oh ok, that would be handy and do the trick! Well if a mod can do that, I'd be more than happy:)

Thanks for the info.

MadsL wrote:
    Still trying to flog that 'shed' of yours....

Ebay ffs....

Ebay? Shipping worldwide? :D

Hey, golden palace might buy it for a few thousand actually??!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Link to a password protected webpage/website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

If it is just the container location, is it not just as easy to pm that as it is to pm a password.

While we would have no problem setting up a private forum for you, it would become an admin headache to do it 10 times a month.

If all the details are on the thread all you need is send someone the location, although it does not sound like the sort of thing anyone with want to find to location so that the could nick it during the night, or am I missing something.

Back to your original Q, password protected thread - NO not possible, private forum - is possible - but a lot of work when it seems to me that the only thing you do not want to post is location.

Any questions should be answered on the thread so a) you do not have to answer questions repeatedly b) your thread gets legit bumps and you will generate more interest and are more likely to get a better price - I am astounded at the number of people who deal off thread when they could get better prices when interested parties see the interest in an item. c) the few people who have been ripped off part from being generally careless - have almost all been dealing off thread - a rip off merchant is unlikely to want to draw attention to himself and allow other users to warn. Anyhow I digress.

V.

• Advertisement

It would actually be possible to nick it during the night :o

If someone was determined, they could do it, although the chances of them getting caught are huge!

It's not just the location, I have a photographic aerial map edited showing entrances, crane positions for lift etc.

Although I suppose I could just start a thread and PM that info.

Infact, I think I'll do that now. I think I was thinking of something else which I can't think of now. haha.

The reason I want it on a thread is so the people interested can raise the price for me, there have been 3 people interested so far and I don't want them to know what others have offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I thought you couldn't auction on Boardsie FS? That if someone offered your asking price you had to accept it and couldn't raise the price?

Shabadu wrote:
    I thought you couldn't auction on Boardsie? That if someone offered your asking price you had to accept it and couldn't raise the price? No auctions, etc.

which is a very good point......

unless none of them have offered asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,341 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Shabadu wrote:
    I thought you couldn't auction on Boardsie FS? That if someone offered your asking price you had to accept it and couldn't raise the price?
    thats a unwritten rule

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

thats a unwritten rule

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83164

4) No Auctions

This board is not to be used as an Auction site to sell 2nd hand gear. If you want to conduct an auction then please go to one of the many auction sites. Auctions usually end up in flame wars on Bulletin Boards. Note that haggling is acceptable.

It's not exactly something you can put a price on though. I will accept my asking price. There will need to be arrangements made for cranes etc. I'm not expecting to get my asking price. I will accept anything lower. I just want to get rid of the thing. I'm not putting it for auction but the highest price I can get it for under my asking price, I will accept. That's ok right?

EDIT: I made the thread anyway, it's all ok yeah?:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement