Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 4 teaser trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Is there still Quad Damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

its looks **** to be honest.. the indoor scenes might as well be Doom 3 ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Its the Doom3 engine sure, how could it not look like Doom3?

I think it looks quite good tbh. The mechwarrior type thing was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They could at least try changing the ****ing textures...

Just because it uses the Doom3 engine does not mean it has to look like Doom 3 by the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It does look kind **** tbh. If it handles anything like Doom3 it's gonna be complete bollox.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm gonna have to second(or third) that it does look like *beep*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well its early days yet lads give it a chance. I dident like Doom 3 but the engine had potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Just because it uses the Doom3 engine does not mean it has to look like Doom 3 by the way!!

calm down jesus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

ID software in doing techno-bio-shock drabness shocker. *yawn*

They should really stick to just making engines and not unleash their tired vision of "horror" on the world. Or just advise them that the world is not made of greys, browns & flesh colours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Gizzard wrote:
    calm down jesus :)

lol, Jesus, is furious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's not ID though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah totaly... this clip could have been introduced as a user-made mod for Doom3 and I wouldn't have doubted it for a second.
    tbh I got bored of overly-dark-in-an-attempt-to-create-atmosphere-in-game-areas-where-there-otherwise-is-none in AVP, so you can imagine how much I yawned at Doom3.
    Most of this stuff completely ignores radiosity aswell, corners of the room in 100% black darkness while the room has lights and appears to be made completely of chrome... gimme a focking break tbh. :rolleyes:

Realtime radiosity? Is that what you expect? Specular maps make everything look like chrome. It's a design choice. Look at the new ET game for a different style.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

what media player do you need to view it cant seem to view?

Giblet wrote:
    Realtime radiosity? Is that what you expect?
    That'd be nice, although I'd give it a few years ;)
    I guess I'm just a harsh critic of Doom3 since it was touted as being so visually realistic.
    But it's not hard to take these things into account while making the game and fake a very basic radiosity by manually lighting areas that should obviously be recieving bounce light... just a bit of common sense like.
    Even HL1 had basic radiosity in their maps calculated during the compile... I'm not sure how Doom3 maps are compiled, but eurgh.
    I suppose it's hard to achive contrast without making a few sacrifices, but I think I read somewhere that the source engine is going to have a system where the players eyes adjust to lower light levels as they enter/leave dark/bright areas... sounds very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I'm not sure how Doom3 maps are compiled,

Technically aint they are done on the fly, no BSP etc just .maps compiled as you walk along in game (its the massive technical leap in the quake engine) doom 3 just the beginning. Just like 1st quake 3 game was dodgy but it was built on.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Correct - HDR lighting is being introduced into the engine via a high-spec'ing map called "Lost Coast" (included will be bumpmapping on most of the world geometry) check out the trailer to see it in action.

Source engine also does radiosity; not true radiosity, but it does "fake" it to a degree that begs the question of whether ID were caught up trying to develop their own vision of a next gen engine that was infact about 2 steps behind other engine developers...

Pre compiled radiosity defies the point of a unified lighting system.

I'm sure it does, but it's none-the-less notable by its absence.
    Heh, maybe this is why doom3 was so dark... lights getting too 'expensive'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

theres a larger 12mb tailer here:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/740/740717/vids_1.html

though they have done something to the colours it looks more washed out than the smaller clip, could be to do with the trailer being like a dream sequence or ye'd need to have a subscription to see it in its proper glory(56mb)
    play as a strog eh, hmm...

interview with Id Software, Tim Willits:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/614/614939p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Scruff wrote:
    spoiler

Shhh, it's not a rip-off. It's an homage.

;)

Advertisement