Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June Bank Holiday Tourists...

Options
  • 15-05-2005 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello there peoples,

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm a dub heading down to Galway for the June Bank holiday and I was wondering par drinking what is there to do. I read the 'nothing to do' and am interested in the mini roller coaster?

Staying a hotel/apartment supposedly 10 mins walk for the city center, but I'm not fully sure on that walking estimate...

So sights to see, touristy or not;
    Good pubs, places to drink;
    Places to eat;
    the general 'hitchikers guide to galway stuff.

Any help would be great cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sights - Well, Eyre Square is in bits at the moment, but it'll be great this time next year.
    The Spanish Arch is a great place to hang out with some friends and a few cans enjpying the sunshine, just tidy up after yourselves and keep the booze in a brown paper bag.
    Pubs: This depends largely on what stereotypical drinker category you fall into, but pubs I'd recommend:
    Massimo's (Dominic St.), The Blue Note (Dominic St.), Bierhaus (Again, Dominic St.), Róisín Dubh (Are you starting to see the pattern?), then there's The Living Room, just off the bottom of Shop St., general poncy overly manicured metrosexual bar. They do serve Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum though, so it aint all bad. Expect to see the Galway equivalent of the D4 posse in there.
    Once you hit Shop St. you can head up towards Eyre Square for the nightclubs, or you can go down High street towards Quay st. and poke at some more pubs.

Places to eat: Fat Freddies on Quay St. - bloody excellent food - Pizza, tachos, nachos etc. etc., fast-food-ish, but very tastey and an excellent atmosphere.
    For post pintage fast food around 2am I recommend Costelloe's Kebab House on Dominic St. or The Charcoal Grill on Cross St., otherwise take your life in your hands and eat food from Supermacs or Mario's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The risk adds a thrill to the taste for a fuller gastronomic experience!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

You should really cosider going across to the aran islands for a night before going back to the big smoke!! There are ferry offices all around eyre square- last year we got a bus to the boat,the ferry itself and a night in a (crappy but manageable) hostel for under thirty euro. When you're there u can rent bikes,go swimming (beautiful coral beaches)or just hit the pubs!! Highly reccommend it!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

for pubs i like bizarre and sally longs(yeah it actually plays good music!),fast food vinnys and marios.
    not really much places to see but i love walking along the river and sitting beside the river and reading beside the river and watching the river and drinking the....anyway general idea.....

edit: oh and roisin dubh is pleasant too!

Advertisement