Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup - Cork City Vs Portadown

• 15-05-2005 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Its quite simple, City NEED to win by a 2 goal margin, and then they go on to Saturdays final. Should City fail to win by 2 goals, Shels are there. Portadown are eliminated already.

City have bottled it many times on the big occasion, but hopefully they will step up this time. Ports have nada to play for, except pride, and I doubt anyone expects them to lie down.

Im going for a 3-1 City win.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

2-1 Cork is my feeling. Should, by all accounts, be a cracking game. Cork should go out there and play good football. Obviously I'd rather Cork don't win by 2+, sending Shelbourne through, but Cork'll more than deserve it if they do go though. Portadown won't lie down, and I'd imagine the first half will be scoreless (useless thought, but I threw it down anyways! :D), but I fully expect Cork to come out on top, the only uncertainty is the goal margin!

Hoping by some fluke some Portadown players read this and go out there to prove me wrong! Mwahahahahahaha! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I have stupid college exams all this week so I wont be able to go. Im gutted. I think if John O'Flynn and Doyle play up front then we can get that 2 goal margin.

Portadown are very average.

Famous Last words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Come on Ports, do us a favour and put shels through ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on Ports, I want a trip to Tolka on Saturday.

Apparently they are thinking of moving the final to 12 noon on saturday, for security issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seansouth wrote:
    Come on Ports, I want a trip to Tolka on Saturday.

Apparently they are thinking of moving the final to 12 noon on saturday, for security issues.

Stop people drinking in the build-up I guess. Also means we can watch the *other* cup final afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^^^ Thats fair enough really with the FA Cup final on in the afternoon, people will be in the pub all day. Plus, no doubt the players want to be home in time for the Eurovision :p .

Itll be hard enogh to get to Tolka for midday, but it will be worth it. Fingers Xed its City and not Shels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i'd doubt if the final was moved, it makes no sense for setanta to screen it at noon, and it will make travelling a pain in the arse for both sets of supporters should city win...

as for tonight, i'm not really all that confident, mainly cause i've been in a bad mood all day. our under 21 keeper starting in goal is also a worry, hopefully the occasion wont get to him but he's a confident lad so i doubt it will...

should be a big crowd at the cross as well, in the region of 5,000 or so i'd say, which could be bad for city as the crowd at turners cross has been pretty impatient with the team so far, getting on players backs early on if they misplace a pass or shoot wide or whatever.

it's good in a way that we've got no-one to blame but ourselves if we go through, there's no excuses at all tonight.

i'll go 3-0 city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st train from Cork is 5.15am then 7am then 8am takes 3 hours.

Buy 24 small cans of Bulmers and try drink them all, Cork is a smashing place when you get off the train ehh i mean Dublin in your case.

About €30ish if there a few of you bribe the ticket collector, always works.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Unfortunately Cork are, imo, a far better side than Portadown who are also in their off season now so I think a 2-0 win is easily doable. Shels will regret not scoring more v Portadown away and settling for the 1-0 at home to Cork :(

The only hope to cling on to is Arkins hasn't scored yet, an ex Shels man who is Eircom League bound apparently, if he can do us a favour that would be pretty nice and could only help him try to get a contract out of Drogheda. So 2-1, with a last minute Arkins goal that was never over the line would be ideal :)

Eitherway I'll probably goto the final, I doubt it'll be put back to 12, it doesn't clash with the FA cup final anyway as it's on afterwards, which is a bit of a boost for Shels coffers as I'm sure they can pack the bars with fans watching the other final before the Setanta Cup one and make a bit of money there.

Ports currently one up.

Cork need three.

Come on the Ports!!

• Advertisement

Ports down to ten men.

Come on lads.

Portadown are so farcially over the top and filthy, though the sending off was harsh I can see why he gave it. Cork dominating but missing a few sitters and generally struggling to break down the Portadown defence though had one disallowed for offside that looked on to me. More of the same please :)

Rico will need to bring O'Flynn on for a defender and bring Gamble on for O'Brien who simply is not fit to lace his shoes.

The sending off never was, but it was coming to one of them eventually. Either way, Ports 1-0 up and I'm laughing! :D

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    but it was coming to one of them eventually

Which played it's part in the refs decision probably. They are an absolutley filthy side and it's upsetting the hell out of Cork.

They are an absolutley filthy side and it's upsetting the hell out of Cork.
    Cork should be well used to that in fairness..:p

great scoreline though :D come on PortEdown !!

They're playing very dirty. I almost feel sorry for poor Georgie boy, oh wait.... nah. He's doing well to still be walking tbh! But, come on the Ports! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cork City

Its not GAA ;)

Hang on, if the score stays the same, to CCFC finish bottom of Group 2?! :D

30 minutes for Cork to score 3, mwahahahaha! :D

Its great....when shelbourne crash out of the european cup in the first round ill be here laughing.... :p;)

• Advertisement

What if it's a Friday night?

(Oh, and same goes for Cork in UEFA...)

Bottom of the table!!
    Bottom of the table!!
    Bottom of the table!!

;)

still laughing when we make it to the group stages of the champions league eh ??

Setanta says bye bye CCFC ! have a go next year;)

They have to qualify first! :p

Lovely save! :D G'wan the Ports!

What can ya do, but by the reaction or should is say smugness of the shelbourne supporters here then its no wonder they are probably the least respected in the EL. Somethings never change! :D

Just buzzin' off ye! :p

Nice to see you let your locals onto the pitch! :D

The only CCFC keeper in the ground tonight got a red card...

Yes.

First Setanta cup final for Shels, against Linfield.

Woohoo!!!

Yessssssssssssssssssss

Forza Shels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Yes.

First Setanta cup final for Shels, against Linfield.

Woohoo!!!
    Or Glentoran... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    The only CCFC keeper in the ground tonight got a red card...
    He played very badly as well. Portadown keeper was excellent.

Poor old Cork City :D Another competition as also rans, last place!? I don't think even Longford can finish last :D

They have no clue how to break down teams who put men behind the ball, it's easy to see why their home form is so poor after tonight. Ports for their part put in their best performance of the tournament and were outstanding.

We're all off to....eh...Tolka Park.

In all my years supporting Cork City, last night was the lowest i have ever felt. City just didnt get the rub of the green. If it werent for some world class goal keeping for Ports' keeper, we would be going to Dublin on Saturday.

For the match itself, well, City dominated. The disallowed goal was marginal, but the flag did go up quickly. The sending off was never, but it just showed how much the ref had lost control of the game at such an early stage. Kearney is a star.

But the game aside, it was the behaviour of some of our so called fans afterwards, chanting "Lennox out"/"Rico Out"/"Sack The Board"/"we want dolan back" etc. Even the PRO of our OSC was in the middle of it. Some fans eh? Do they not realise that without Lennox, CCFC would be dead? The funniest thing was, when Lennox came out, the crowd scarpered, and not one of the keyboard warrior fúcks were man enough to say a word to him. Likewise when Rico came out.

gimmick wrote:
    But the game aside, it was the behaviour of some of our so called fans afterwards, chanting "Lennox out"/"Rico Out"/"Sack The Board"/"we want dolan back" etc. Even the PRO of our OSC was in the middle of it. Some fans eh? Do they not realise that without Lennox, CCFC would be dead? The funniest thing was, when Lennox came out, the crowd scarpered, and not one of the keyboard warrior fúcks were man enough to say a word to him. Likewise when Rico came out.

that sickened me alright.. although to be fair the vast majority of the "protesters" out in force were wearing man untd celtic tops from what i could see..

as for the game, full credit to ports, they soaked up the city pressure superbly.. their keeper, gary murphy, was absolutely amazing, an absolute masterclass of keeping. fair play to him, he pulled off at least five top drawer saves.. not bad for a 19 year old.. i asked the ports directors after the game if they;d sell him to us but they were having none of it :)

so shels advance, best of luck to them, but i'll be shouting for the winner of tonights game between lins and glens...

Cork city didnt get the rub of the green at all in the setanta cup. That goal vs shelbourne, never mind 2 good goals against them at the x dissallowed for nothing...

Would have made all the difference,but once portadown got their it was never to be. Come on Linfield/Glentoren :)

• Advertisement

The undermining of the board/manager from certain Cork fans will only serve to destroy one of the most promising City sides in their history.

Though Rico did get it wrong last night. Keeping a back four for the majority of the match when after the sending off Portadown had one ageing striker up front on his own and were sitting back and soaking up the pressure, all this while 3 goals are needed and O'Flynn is sitting on the bench? Playing O'Brien over Gamble? But all of this anti Rico stuff after such a short space of them when you've lost, what is it, one league match all season is absolutley insane.

gimmick wrote:
    I
    The disallowed goal was marginal, but the flag did go up quickly.
    So the flag went up quickly, and you are willing to accept the decision.

I'm sorry gimmick, but after the game in Tolka park, the flag went up equally as quickly for the Jamie Harris goal, yet the whole of Cork was screaming blue murder.

Which is it?

In relation to the protests after that game, I'll echo the sentiments I told you last night, the same as others have said here. It will only serve to undermine Rico and the whole City set up, and it is already affecting the home form of the club.

seansouth wrote:
    So the flag went up quickly, and you are willing to accept the decision.

I'm sorry gimmick, but after the game in Tolka park, the flag went up equally as quickly for the Jamie Harris goal, yet the whole of Cork was screaming blue murder.

Which is it?

It was hard to tell, but normally when the flag goes up so quick for an offside decision, its correct. However, to compare that to the decision made in Tolka is a joke, but thats old news.

In other news, is it true that that was Ollie Byrnes dog that invaded the Turners Cross pitch last night, in an effort to disrupy Citys progress?

gimmick wrote:
    It was hard to tell, but normally when the flag goes up so quick for an offside decision, its correct. However, to compare that to the decision made in Tolka is a joke, but thats old news.

In other news, is it true that that was Ollie Byrnes dog that invaded the Turners Cross pitch last night, in an effort to disrupy Citys progress?
    Roffles! :D

What about Georgie Doolittle getting the doggie off the pitch? He led the stewards on a merry dance every time they tried to grab him, georgie goes over to him once, the dog senses immediatly he can trust him and allows georgie to pick him up. Luckily it was a cork dog, if not george would have gone over to him and fallen down, folding his face/shin/elbow/fingernail prompting the referee to issue a red card to the mutt for what would probably have been the worst, and most disgraceful tackle i would have ever seen at the cross.

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fair play to GOC for that one.

During Palace-Soton the previous week in the premiership the Soton goalie was left completely on his own to puncture about 100 balloons on the pitch because none of the other 21 players could be bothered to come over and help him. (the ref had stopped play at the time.)

Worlds apart really.

Advertisement