Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points for medicine

Options
  • 15-05-2005 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i'm posting this for a friend hope someone can help me out,

You know the way they say
    "Medicine 580 points (not everyone who gets those points will be offered a place though)"

Does that mean that if you get 585 points for example you will definitely be offered a place? Thanks

Comments

Yes, but of course the points might be different this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Well I know that - but I was just wondering is there more to the selection procedure than leaving cert points?

Usually not. There would be a random process for the people who got the 580 points to fill the remaining seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Yes. It is true. If a course has 580* points it means there were x many places and x were filled up but not every one who got 580 points got a place. If there's 5 places left and 10 people have 580 points the computer, afaik, will select 5 people at random from the 10.

If you then get your papers rechecked and you move up to 585 or 590/600 I don't think you can demand a place, which is unfortunate.

Also, points for 2004

Galway 570*
    Cork 575*
    UCD 570*
    TCD 580*
    RCSI 570*
    RCSI with LC S 590

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you get a recheck and get the points you will get a place even if a few weeks in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

How certain are you on that Sangre? 100% in 100% of cases?

Sangre is right, unless it's a very cruel college that I've never heard of.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Sangre wrote:
    If you get a recheck and get the points you will get a place even if a few weeks in.
    This is true if you get points above the cutoff point. However, if the points are 580* for example, and your points get moved up to 580, then it depends on your random number.
    Basically, before you sit your leaving cert, you are assigned a random computer generated number. Then they're filling up the places for a course, and they have six people at the bottom of the list with 580 points but only three places left, then they use the random numbers. I can't remember if they take the candidates with the highest or lowest number, but basically that's how they choose who gets the places.
    So what if you get a recheck? Well, if your points are moved up to 580, then they look at your random number. If the number was high/low enough (sorry, I can't remember which it is) then you get your place, as you would have got it if your points had been correct at the time of the first points round. If not, then you don't get the place.

Does that make any sense? If it still confuses you, look at the CAO handbook, it's explained there

Advertisement