Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car computer project for the summer.

Options
  • 15-05-2005 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

My best friend recently bought a 96 fiat punto.
    He has put a bit of money into it to make it as reliable as possible.
    We recently had the idea of building a computer into it for music, dvds and games etc and it would be a bit of fun.
    I'd like to point out at this stage that neither I nor my friend are big petrol heads or boy rcers or anything. But the PC in the car idea seems too good a project to let go. We already have a spare dell pentium 4, 60gb HD, 512 ram.
    All we really need now is a small flat screen monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse and a means to power the thing and we'll be flying.
    Can a car battery be used with the use of an adapter or something to convert the Dc current to Ac? :eek:
    the computer will be built into the boot.

Anyone done this before or seen it done?
    I'd really appreciate a bit of advice or ideas and hopefully when we have it built i'll post pictures for all to see.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Have a look around on the forums at mp3car.com. Loads of info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 optip

Hi... mp3car.com is a great resource - loads of information on there!

A lot of people use a tft touchscreen to control a car pc such as:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306511&cks=SER
    There are user interfaces designed to be used in a car with a touch screen and play mp3s, etc

You might also want to check out DC-DC power supplies/regulators. They can turn on and hibernate your car pc with the ignition... pretty cool stuff!

Power usage is something you'll want to watch out for. There are links to power usage calculators, etc on the mp3car site. Some use 2.5" hard disks & mini itx motherboard setups to conserve power

After spending the last coulple of months of reading on the mp3car.com forum, I'm just starting on one myself now.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it!

/Patrick

Advertisement