Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars or World of warcraft?

Options
  • 15-05-2005 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking the plunge into a mmorpg, never played one before so im interested in trying my hand at it. Seen as these are the two newest, what are peoples opinions?

<Edit> damn i should have put a poll in this thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I want to get into the MMORPG world too with one of these games.

I'd prefer more of an online world, more buying and trading and having a house and stuff like that, so which online game like this would suit me?

Like a lot of other people I'll probably end up gettin Guild Wars, its got no monthly fee which is a huge, huge plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah thats kinda putting guild wars at the front for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

but WoW has all the trading and house owning. im not too sure about Guild Wars, ive played both though and my fav is Guild Wars (mainly cos it looks gorgeous and no online fees ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Guild wars because it has no fees. :)

guild wars seems to be getting the better votes so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Hum, very interesting.

GW is great, and is very user friendly. It is not REALLY an MMO though, you are rarely interacting with people (except in towns). Whereas in WoW you see people everywhere you go, but in WoW you will not really form parties with these people, in GW you will always be teaming. You will interact with people in GW but it does not give out the sense of a living world because everything is instanced.

Buying and Selling; this definitly falls into the WoW catagory. GW has some trading, but not nearly as much as WoW would, because GW is not all about the loot , it is more about skill.

Housing; neither game has real housing. GW has guild halls, but they are only used for battles really (Which are hella fun)

PvP; IMO GW takes this one by a lot. PvP in GW takes a lot of thinking, coordination, teamwork and preperation. WoW is a matter of numbers, your higher level? go and gank; equal level? go get some buddies to back you up.

PvE; Playing through GW once will be great, the story is immersive, the backdrops stunning.With the low level cap though, if you get into the game you will find yourself re-rolling a lot. This can get tedious. Wow has 60 levels of PvE, although the whole idea is much more basic, "go kill X generic fantasy enemies" etc... it does have instanced quests though which are nice. More importantly, it has end game PvE content in the form of raids. GW has the underworld Etc, but that is not really End-Game content.

Lasting appeal; This is very important for any MMO. If your not into PvP GW will probably not hold your attention as much as WoW would.

In the end, the two games are very different. WoW is a very popular MMO and will give you a better idea of what a real MMO is all about. GW is a LOT more user-friendly though and will ease you in a lot more (but you might get a big shock when you move onto your next MMO). GW is a hybrid between MMOs and pickup games like Diablo or Dungeon Siege, having no Fee is great too.

I dunno which side I have really favoured here, prolly GW by the looks of it. TBH, I prefere GW, but that is because I have my MMO (City Of Heroes) so GW is much easier to pickup than another MMO would be. WoW is very popular though, and there will be a lot of people willing to help you learn the game etc...

Hope that helps some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You can't own houses in wow. Both games are excellent although I haven't played guild wars yet. Just choose one, if you like the warcraft style get wow, if your not bothered get GW.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

BloodBath wrote:
    Both games are excellent although I haven't played guild wars yet.

Hmm ... right, i see how you made that deduction right there.

I've been playing WoW since it came out over here and have been trying out Guild Wars this week aswell. I can honestly say that WoW is a much better game, much better! If you want to get a mmorpg and you choose guild wars just because it has no monthly fee then shame on you. 13 euro a month for countless hours of pure enjoyment from WoW is not expensive when you think about it.

Also, WoW is actually more user friendly than guild wars, the community aspect of WoW is much greater than GW. In fact I really cannot describe GW as a mmorpg because the only time you see people is when you are in town(unless you are in a party with others), so unless you are in a guild with a few of your mates it does really bring down the quality of the game. I also do not like the fact that you can instantly travel to towns using the map in GW, its just not right!

WoW 8/10 (Minus 2 for 1: Poor customer service and 2: Sometimes servers are down)

GW 6/10 (I would not class this as a mmorpg, theres no community spirit out there nothing to work together for like in wow.)

Get WoW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

id highly recommend WoW, id never palyed a mmo before i played wow, and now i cant stop. Trust me, the montly fee is well worth it. And its only 12 euro a month, youd spend that on 3 pints. Its an absolute cracking game, and from what i pick up talking to ppl whove played wow and gw, gw seems more pvp based, and alot say it get pretty boring quickly, as levelling up is really fast and doesnt take as much effort as wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hmm ... right, i see how you made that deduction right there.

I do read reviews and I know guys who are playing guild wars, some of which were ex wow players. I don't have time for more than one mmorpg and i'm enjoying wow atm so I cba trying guild wars.

BloodBath

• Advertisement

my main concerns are
    1) WOW is out longer and i might be going into it not knowing what im doing and everyone else will be alot more powerful than me, etc
    2) amount of time i have to actually play the game

but im hoping to make a decision by the weekend so i will be listening to everyones advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

good review

gw still ahead of wow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lots of my online mates are playing WOW ,i have been tempted but subscription turns me off.
    I had planetside with subscription for a while.
    TBH i never heard of guild wars but ive never played a mmorpg game before.
    GW is tempting me now tbh.
    Thanks for heads up guys .

Picking GW ahead of WoW is like picking fifa ahead of PES, why do it?

I'm playing both and WoW is just ten times better than GW. I'd say i've put in about 6 hours of guild wars so far (not much I know) compared to over 8 days in WoW, and during my 6 GW hours I have not seen anybody speak any english at all. Only get GW if you have a few mates playing it aswell that are around the same level as you i.e just starting, otherwise you'll find GW is a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Have to go with GW. I picked it up at the weekend and i think its a really good game, its so easy to get into. And the graphics are just beautiful, i love looking at the reflections in the water, as well the senery in the fisrt part of the game.

Picking GW ahead of WoW is like picking fifa ahead of PES, why do it?

what if i dont like football games :-)

on another note just checked play.com and they have guild wars for 29.99 euro and wow for 39.99 euro

madrab wrote:
    what if i dont like football games :-)

You'll still find WoW better than GW.

thanks for all the advice guys but in my wisdom (error?) i have decide to go for Guild wars

ended up getting it off play.com though i wanted to play it at the weekend but none of the gamestops in my area had even heard of it, so i guess i will have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

and wait you shall, i ordered mine off play.com 2 saturdays ago and it only came yesterday. it isnt plays fault though its our crap postal service.

• Advertisement

damn them and their webpage of dreams and promises!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I bought WoW 2 weeks ago after finally deciding to take the MMO plunge. I've been hopelessly addicted to to it ever since. Is there a better endorsement of a game than that? Can't speak for GW but I can't see it being better than WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

WEll I have played both, and as a guy who is a huge mmo player WoW is the better mmo. Guild Wars covers up for its lack of mmo play with the no monthly fees. WoW has these fees cause its moreupdated then guild wars, with wow having patches nearly ever 3 weeks. Also WoW lets you create a more indepth character, the quests are better and YOU can party.

GW basically covers up its weakness' which are many by its no fee, but it cant hold as many as Wow can. And trust me, the last 3 mmo that came out with no fees all failed misrebly, there is no incentive for them to update the game and keep things smooth, they will be making a loss. WoW if you want game length, GW if your looking for a few weeks entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Or if you are a real cheapskate you could play Anarchy Online for absolutely nothing, just download the client, load patches and away you go .... I played it when it was reasonably new a year or more ago and just had a go at it again, steep learning curve but I have to say it can be fun (starting can be a bit of a mill)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

World of Warcraft :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

WEll I have played both, and as a guy who is a huge mmo player WoW is the better mmo. Guild Wars covers up for its lack of mmo play with the no monthly fees. WoW has these fees cause its moreupdated then guild wars, with wow having patches nearly ever 3 weeks. Also WoW lets you create a more indepth character, the quests are better and YOU can party.

GW basically covers up its weakness' which are many by its no fee, but it cant hold as many as Wow can. And trust me, the last 3 mmo that came out with no fees all failed misrebly, there is no incentive for them to update the game and keep things smooth, they will be making a loss. WoW if you want game length, GW if your looking for a few weeks entertainment.

Actually, you may not be entirely correct there. I understand that the makers of GW intend to release expansions every couple of months with new content, which is more or less the same as paying a monthly fee, except you can choose not to buy them and still play.

Advertisement