Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star wars effect

Options
  • 15-05-2005 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I was hoping someone might be able to help me. as the intro to a web site i need to put some text scrolling up the page, like at the begining of star wars, was hoping that somebody might be able to tell me how to do that 'cause i have no idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

you'll need to use flash to get that effect. If you do a search for star wars at www.flashkit.com you'll probably find loads of files for it. You can also download the star wars font face from them or else check out dafont.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Could be done in a basic fashion with the marquee tag in HTML. It's been years since I've done this so i don't rememeber exactly how its done. May be as simple as wrapping a <marquee> tag around your <font> tag. This approach may also only be for scrolling horizontally.

For vertical scrolling you may have to go down the road of javascript. I used code that did this before and it is quite effective. Doesn't allow for the perspective effects I think you are looking for though. i.e. that the text gets smaller as it scrolls up the screen.

For the full effect i reckon you would have to do it in flash. I have no idea how you would go about doing this. I suppose you could use an animated GIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This sounds like a wonderful way to make people click on "back" frantically, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Unless he is making the website for starwars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Flash Intro.. Noooo! Only acceptable on certain media sites IMHO.

I came across one site that had this Star Wars type of intro and I wanted to fist the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

flash intros are the biggest waste of time ever!
    and the whole idea of star wars intro sounds a bit tacky to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

flash intros are the biggest waste of time ever!
    and the whole idea of star wars intro sounds a bit tacky to be honest

Whats it to you? All he asked for was some help.

Check this tutorial...

http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week103.html

You'll need to know flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

yeraulone wrote:
    Whats it to you?

Yes, design for yourself, not for the user. You'll go very, very far that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Perspective tool in flash, thanks for the link yeraulone, didn't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

Yes, design for yourself, not for the user. You'll go very, very far that way.

That wasn't my point. No need to be so smug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement